Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NYR] Taylor Beck for Justin Fontaine

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
You know ur GM has way too much time on his hand when he is making moves like this...
Cant imagine how this was initially proposed...

I guess NY farm team wanted to load up for AHL championship.. and Chia obliged

Ranger's farm team is last place in the entire AHL. They probably want Beck for next year.

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
I'll go on the record and state that I think Justin Fontaine is going to get a look on the NHL team. He had a 30 point season in the NHL just two seasons ago. He shoots right and plays RW.

He's certainly a better hockey player than Curtis Lazar.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
depth move...
Taylor Beck was as useless to the Oilers...Fontaine is better in the NHL...will give us some depth if needed during the playoffs.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Fontaine is an excellent 2 way player... great move to add some excellent bottom 6 depth to the org by Chiarelli.

Really like this deal and anytime Fontaine is in the lineup he will be a positive asset.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Fontaine is an excellent 2 way player... great move to add some excellent bottom 6 depth to the org by Chiarelli.

Really like this deal and anytime Fontaine is in the lineup he will be a positive asset.

it seems like a win-win.

I liked the Beck addition but you gave him a shot and he couldn't really get into the lineup.

So you move him for a guy who can maybe better compliment the young forwards down there and maybe rub off something more useful....plus maybe he will do a better job moving up the depth chart.

Plus Kassian and Khaira have played well enough that that big powerforward depth guy is less of a need.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I don't mind this. Fontaine might serve as a bottom pairing RW.

And if he doesn't, at least we know he won't take time away from Puljujarvi in the AHL.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
the oilers are hoping they found the "fontaine of youth"

- Gene Principe

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
it seems like a win-win.

I liked the Beck addition but you gave him a shot and he couldn't really get into the lineup.

So you move him for a guy who can maybe better compliment the young forwards down there and maybe rub off something more useful....plus maybe he will do a better job moving up the depth chart.

Plus Kassian and Khaira have played well enough that that big powerforward depth guy is less of a need.

I didn't mind the Beck addition as well... but I agree, I think Fontaine is more proven at the NHL level and has shown well at both ends of the ice when given the chance at the NHL level. Granted that was with the Wild under a different environment/systems than here in Edmonton... but hopefully that good 2-way play can continue when/if he's used in a bottom 6 role.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I agree, Fontaine-Letestu-Kassian sounds pretty good.

More likely he's on the RW in his natural position to provide some speed/energy to the 4th. We had too much of the same down there.

Pou Desharnais Kassian
Slepy/Khaira Letestu Fontaine/Caggiula

Hendricks as a spare... this will create some good competition and allow us to balance a little offense through those bottom lines. I see Fontaine, Desharnais & Caggiula in some degree in competition with each other and Slepy/Khaira/Pou/Hendy competing as well.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
More likely he's on the RW in his natural position to provide some speed/energy to the 4th. We had too much of the same down there.

Pou Desharnais Kassian
Slepy/Khaira Letestu Fontaine/Caggiula

Hendricks as a spare... this will create some good competition and allow us to balance a little offense through those bottom lines. I see Fontaine, Desharnais & Caggiula in some degree in competition with each other and Slepy/Khaira/Pou/Hendy competing as well.

or

Slepyshev-Letestu-Kassian
Pouliot-Desharnais-Fontaine

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Maybe we're moving Beck to confirm JP a spot on the top line? I don't really get this trade, but it really shouldn't effect anything going forward.

HockeyGuy1964

Oct 7, 2013
Fontaine is a good player who coincidentally played with Mark Letestu in Bonnyville in the AJHL.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I 100% get and like this trade. Beck is tremendous in the AHL but I dont see any NHL future at all for him. Fontaine is a bigger need in the org and I do see some NHL time for him in the future in a call up role.

McVirginOil

Jun 30, 2014
When Chia realizes the bottom 6 doesnt have to be filled with slow lumbering grinders and the best NHL teams have skill guys in the bottom 6.
:bow:

Grey Poupon*

Cashmere Thoughts
Nov 25, 2016
Charlestown, MA
Have you guys noticed that a lot of Chiarelli's recent pickups have been sub-6'0?

I'm starting to get scared of this trend. Night-terrors of Row-Bear, Samwise and Cogs are haunting me right now.

Grey Poupon*

Cashmere Thoughts
Nov 25, 2016
Charlestown, MA
Maybe we're moving Beck to confirm JP a spot on the top line? I don't really get this trade, but it really shouldn't effect anything going forward.

Fontaine scored 13 goals in a season playing on Minny's 4th line just a few seasons ago. Beck is not an NHL player. Not sure why this move is so confusing...

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Have you guys noticed that a lot of Chiarelli's recent pickups have been sub-6'0?

I'm starting to get scared of this trend. Night-terrors of Row-Bear, Samwise and Cogs are haunting me right now.

As long as they compete and have skill that's fine by me.

Grey Poupon*

Cashmere Thoughts
Nov 25, 2016
Charlestown, MA
As long as they compete and have skill that's fine by me.

Hey man, I'll give you Row-Bear but Sammy and Cogs had a little bit of sandpaper on them. Cogs had an "i'll prove you" type of grit and Sammy got into scraps with much larger human beings. Robbie Schremp also had an edge. It's not that i'm scared of players with compete.

I just don't want the GM to change the Oiler's player-mix. He's got a really good balance right now that he could throw all out of whack by acquiring bunch of small players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad