Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NYR] Taylor Beck for Justin Fontaine

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Is he skilled enough to be a callup? Looks like Fast is out for 3 weeks and Grabner got injured in practice today.

Probably best to ask Nashville fans since he played a decent chunk of games there. The few games I seem him play for the Islanders he didn't look out of place. Basically seems like your pure definition of a 14th forward

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Honest question, what is the motivation for GMs to wait until the trade deadline to make a meaningless, impact-less deal? No one cares. Neither player cares. No one on your roster cares. Why is this even worth the time to make the phone call on deadline day?

Kipper933

Remember the Kipper
Jul 10, 2002
Toronto, ON
Visit site
why would edmonton do this to bakersfield? this doesnt help edmonton and it just killed their ahl team

He has shown more at the NHL level than Beck has.

Although I'm curious if NYR will give Beck a shot. I thought he looked great when he debuted with Nashville but looked horrendous in his couple of games with NYI.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Honest question, what is the motivation for GMs to wait until the trade deadline to make a meaningless, impact-less deal? No one cares. Neither player cares. No one on your roster cares. Why is this even worth the time to make the phone call on deadline day?

I guess I would suggest more people care than you think.

Kaapo di tutti capi

Jan 13, 2012
Nashville, TN.
He has shown more at the NHL level than Beck has.

Although I'm curious if NYR will give Beck a shot. I thought he looked great when he debuted with Nashville but looked horrendous in his couple of games with NYI.

If he's that slow of a skater - which a couple of people have suggested, I can't imagine he'd shine in the Rangers speed dependent system.

OneMoreAstronaut

Reduce chainsaw size
May 3, 2003

Um I guarantee the players in question care, this is their career. Just because AvsGuy on the internet doesn't care doesn't mean no one cares.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
NYR traded Bodie and Fontaine, both pending UFA,
for Catenacci and Beck who can both be RFA's
and retained for, at worst, young vet presence in Hartford

scratchhayes*

Mar 24, 2016
Rangers AHL team has some young centers without much vet help on wing. Especially with size as Fontaine clearly doesn't fit with Nieves or Tambellini. It's a good trade for the Pack. They are trying to develop a couple of bigger centers with size down there.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario

lots of people care.

the world exists outside of the NHL, and even more beyond your interests within it.

specifically today is the deadline or AHL roster deadline, which is to say if you want a player to be eligible for the the AHL playoffs, they have to be on your AHL roster at 3pm EST, so you get a number of minor league deals done in this trade deadline window to help AHL teams.

furthermore, teams make minor league deals to strengthen their depth in case of injuries, which happen any time of the year, deadline be damned.

furthermost, the players 100% care..,

their families care, fans of the AHL teams care, management and coaching cares, fans who have vested interest in the NHL teams care

what an asinine comment :shakehead :help:

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
lots of people care.

the world exists outside of the NHL, and even more beyond your interests within it.

specifically today is the deadline or AHL roster deadline, which is to say if you want a player to be eligible for the the AHL playoffs, they have to be on your AHL roster at 3pm EST, so you get a number of minor league deals done in this trade deadline window to help AHL teams.

furthermore, teams make minor league deals to strengthen their depth in case of injuries, which happen any time of the year, deadline be damned.

furthermost, the players 100% care..,

their families care, fans of the AHL teams care, management and coaching cares, fans who have vested interest in the NHL teams care

what an asinine comment :shakehead :help:

Feel better?

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Possibly another reason for the trade is to force Bakersfield to play Puljujarvi on the top line?

Don't think so. Pulju has been on the top line the past few games with Lander and Laleggia. I think the reason for the trade is that Chia determined Beck was never going to be a quality depth call up, while Fontaine has been a quality player at the NHL in the past and might provide depth down the stretch and into playoffs.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Don't think so. Pulju has been on the top line the past few games with Lander and Laleggia. I think the reason for the trade is that Chia determined Beck was never going to be a quality depth call up, while Fontaine has been a quality player at the NHL in the past and might provide depth down the stretch and into playoffs.

To be honest I also think this trades is a bit of a favor made by Chia for Gorton. Becks won't play most likely, but he has more potential than Fontaine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad