Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NYR] Jayden Grubbe (signs 3 year ELC) for 2023 5th round pick - Signs ELC with the Oilers

Rpenny

Feb 23, 2019
oilers need guys who MIGHT be close to the NHL NOW--not in 5 years times. These are the type of deal a team makes. Who knows if this guy will be in the NHL in 2 years time... that 5th rounder? Might never make the nhl

sorry---I knew it was not July 1st thought it was the 15th

Reactions: LokiDog and stewy04

stewy04

Jun 19, 2016
oilers need guys who MIGHT be close to the NHL NOW--not in 5 years times. These are the type of deal a team makes. Who knows if this guy will be in the NHL in 2 years time... that 5th rounder? Might never make the nhl

sorry---I knew it was not July 1st thought it was the 15th
He's closer to the nhl then the 5th round pick

Reactions: GreeningOil

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Makes sense. Per their HockeyDB pages, Grubbe has a similar head shape and facial structure to McDavid. If you make him copy McDavid's facial hair, you can easily just put McDavid's jersey on Grubbe if McDavid gets hurt. No one will ever find out.
If that were the case, I’d rather slap the Grubbe jersey on McDavid and save the $12m in cap space. ;)

Reactions: WaW

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Signing a contract is a two-way street. He wasn't gonna sign here with Mika / Trocheck / Chytil locked in long term.

Hope the Oilers sign him and he bites the Rangers in the ass in 2-3 years.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I watched a ton of Rebels games this year. Grubbe brings a ton of intensity and physicality. As his stat line shows, he has some skill and was pretty important to the Rebels offense this year. Will that translate to the NHL? Probably not, but he's a good pick up for a grinders role, whether that's for the AHL or he blossoms into an NHLer is hard to say. I mean, I didn't think Brandon Hagel or Reese Johnson would make the NHL, and I think Grubbe is better than those guys at the WHL level, so it depends on how his development goes. Seems like a hard worker and a great teammate, so I think its certainly worth the 5th round pick. He has the tools to be a solid depth player.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Read the post again.

I said the player who scored 50 goals playing next to him., kai uchacz
Easy, you could have just typed the name initially.
[he pointlessly types as he refuses to increase font size and bold text to gain effect]
you typo'd the wrong pronoun first which then confused the antecedent for the 2nd pronoun since you didn't really identify which "he" you were referring to.

Reactions: Play

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Easy, you could have just typed the name initially.
[he pointlessly types as he refuses to increase font size and bold text to gain effect]
you typo'd the wrong pronoun first which then confused the antecedent for the 2nd pronoun since you didn't really identify which "he" you were referring to.
Yeah you’re right.

This ones on me

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I thought he was progressing and the offense at the WHL level wasn't anything fantastic but it came around pretty alright this year. That said I think the upside is bottom 6---probably 4th line energy player. The Oilers getting a guy who'll need some more development but is a conscientious hard working, physical player. He's had some injury issues. If I remember tore an ACL in his draft year and the following year after surgery he was working through all that which can be a struggle.

I think part of the issue is the Rangers like Adam Edstrom and perhaps even Matt Rempe more. How many physical 4C prospects does one team need? Edstrom's the best all around right now--still 22/23 and has at least 4 full seasons in the SHL and If we're just looking at agitation and a guy who fights that's Rempe.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
That guy was kicked off his WHL team a couple years ago for racism, probably why he's undrafted.

Now, two years later, he was named the Red Deer Rebels Humanitarian of the Year, so it seems like he's hopefully changed his ways. That, in conjunction with scoring 50 goals in 68 games, will probably convince some team to take a chance on him in a later round.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
PPG in the WHL. The guy we was playing with is year younger and he had 50 goals in the WHL.

Maybe try signing him, he’s undrafted
Jan 2003 birthday, so he would either be in the in in the WHL in 22-23 or in the NHL. With an ACL tear in the shortened season, he was behind last season in 21-22.

Seems odd to not give him a contract. Generally don't pass up big body centers. Unless his skating has stagnated or gotten worse.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Signing a contract is a two-way street. He wasn't gonna sign here with Mika / Trocheck / Chytil locked in long term.

Hope the Oilers sign him and he bites the Rangers in the ass in 2-3 years.
The Oilers have pretty decent center depth themselves on the big club.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
The Oilers have pretty decent center depth themselves on the big club.

Big difference is the Oil's centres aren't as rigid as others and often shift over to wing. Even when it comes to bottom 6 centres, the Oil have options (McLeod, Holloway, Bourgault); but most of them spend a good chunk of time on the wing.

It's not a hard sell to show him a path to being the 4th line centre in a season or two, The closest direct competetion he has is the undrafted Philp.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Big difference is the Oil's centres aren't as rigid as others and often shift over to wing. Even when it comes to bottom 6 centres, the Oil have options (McLeod, Holloway, Bourgault); but most of them spend a good chunk of time on the wing.

It's not a hard sell to show him a path to being the 4th line centre in a season or two, The closest direct competetion he has is the undrafted Philp.
As a CHLer he'd have to return the draft if he didn't sign. So, who knows where else he could go. Only other consideration right now is the location of the OIler's farm team in Bakersfield. Seems like 2/3 of the NHL teams have it within a 2 hour or so drive to go from NHL to AHL rink. Easier for the NHL coaches and GM to see you if the A club is close.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
His age determines this, not which league he plays in. In this case, he would have been a free agent.

Grubbe would have been eligible for the 2023 draft if not signed by June 1st.

He’s age 20. Even if he was older than 20 he would still be draft eligible for 2023 as he was previously selected in a draft. For North American players to be ineligible for the upcoming draft they need to either be:

a) Age 21+ and never selected in a prior draft, or
b) Selected in two prior drafts.

Grubbe doesn‘t qualify for either exception.

edit for the curious

Q: Why aren't college players whose rights expired still eligible for the draft as they wouldn't qualify for either (a) or (b) exception? e.g. Justin Schultz
A: The college player rights section of the CBA includes a clause stating college players become Draft Related UFAs when their draft rights expire. This clause supersedes the draft eligibility clauses in (a) and (b).

Last edited:
Reactions: Bear of Bad News

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Grubbe would have been eligible for the 2023 draft if not signed by June 1st.

He’s age 20. Even if he was older than 20 he would still be draft eligible for 2023 as he was previously selected in a draft. For North American players to be ineligible for the upcoming draft they need to either be:

a) Age 21+ and never selected in a prior draft, or
b) Selected in two prior drafts.

Grubbe doesn‘t qualify for either exception.

Thanks for clarifying. I was just going by the CapFriendly tweet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad