Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NYR] Jayden Grubbe (signs 3 year ELC) for 2023 5th round pick - Signs ELC with the Oilers

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Feels like he wanted to play out west closer to home. Only reason I can think for him not to sign. Projects as a good middle/bottom 6 2way player

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Not sure I see the play, the Rangers must not have thought of him very highly in the years since using a 3rd round pick on him and weren't sure if he'd be worth adding a bumping up against the total contract limit. Oilers saw enough to think that if he was to re-enter the draft he'd be worth at least a 5th round pick.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Toronto and Pittsburgh trying to ruin the big Grubbe trade by announcing their new GM and President.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not sure I see the play, the Rangers must not have thought of him very highly in the years since using a 3rd round pick on him and weren't sure if he'd be worth adding a bumping up against the total contract limit. Oilers saw enough to think that if he was to re-enter the draft he'd be worth at least a 5th round pick.
It just seems odd. They spent a third on a guy that missed damn near his entire draft year, but has trended upwards.

I don't know that I buy the contract limit either. They have 18 spots. Yes they have a lot of RFA's and UFA's, but how many of those guys actually deserve NHL contracts or could you not get them on AHL contracts?

Generally if you like a guy you'll find room for him.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It just seems odd. They spent a third on a guy that missed damn near his entire draft year, but has trended upwards.

I don't know that I buy the contract limit either. They have 18 spots. Yes they have a lot of RFA's and UFA's, but how many of those guys actually deserve NHL contracts or could you not get them on AHL contracts?

Generally if you like a guy you'll find room for him.
I suppose it's possible that this kid was refusing to sign and threatening to go back in the Draft? But that'd be really weird to be honest and something you do not typically see out of kids drafted from Major Juniors... and like, this kid didn't break out in a huge way or anything that would suggest he could exert that type of leverage. If he were to have re-entered, he'd have to wait another two years to be a FA if someone took him, which would likely mean playing as an Overager and then having to go to Europe or something for a year.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Feels like he wanted to play out west closer to home. Only reason I can think for him not to sign. Projects as a good middle/bottom 6 2way player
Maybe he thought the Rangers had more competition for AHL playing time. I don't blame the guy in wanting to play for the Rangers if they were going to ask him to play wing instead of centre, or there was a chance he would have to play in the ECHL instead of the AHL. In Edmonton, he is going to battle for a leadership role on the AHL team.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Maybe he thought the Rangers had more competition for AHL playing time. I don't blame the guy in wanting to play for the Rangers if they were going to ask him to play wing instead of centre, or there was a chance he would have to play in the ECHL instead of the AHL. In Edmonton, he is going to battle for a leadership role on the AHL team.
Just always thought he was a safe bet to become at least as solid bottom 6 guy. Do the rangers have a stacked AHL team?

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Just always thought he was a safe bet to become at least as solid bottom 6 guy. Do the rangers have a stacked AHL team?
You and I could probably make that team. Although they did better than expected for playoffs.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

Sounded more like the Rangers didn't want to use a contract spot on him rather than Grubbe turning down an offer.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I dunno. I think they have a lot of grinder type centers in the system.

Sounded more like the Rangers didn't want to use a contract spot on him rather than Grubbe turning down an offer.

Brent Sutter (Red Deer's GM) told the media that Grubbe had an offer from the Rangers. Maybe it was too low. Seems like an offer was made though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Brent Sutter (Red Deer's GM) told the media that Grubbe had an offer from the Rangers. Maybe it was too low. Seems like an offer was made though.

Seems a little bit strange since he doesn't seem like a guy who'd compete for an NHL spot right away. Grubbe's ELC with Edmonton seemed relatively normal.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I actually really like this move for EDM, I thought he had a good chance at being a late round pick had he re-entered the draft.

I think there Is a good chance he becomes a bottom-6 contributor one day. Type of guy who plays with his heart on his sleeve - he’s never going to put up gaudy point totals but he’ll help his team win.

EDM essentially expedites the draft process here.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I dunno. I think they have a lot of grinder type centers in the system.

He clearly wanted to stay in AB so forced their hand . Got something for a guy that wasn’t signing in NY

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00