Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NYI] Brandon Davidson for a 2019 3rd

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
That is brutal for NYI.

Not just because they could have had him for free earlier in the year but he was on waviers for a reason he is not a good defenseman. I know they are desperate for help there but for a 3rd rounder you should get a hell of a lot better guy than Davidson.

First of all they couldn't have gotten him on waivers and he was on waivers because Bergevin is the worst.

Reactions: ujju2

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Chia's master plan: pick up guys off waivers and trade them for picks lol

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
He's been great for his role imo. Us Oilers fans will always have a soft spot for the guy. He also loves playing here, evidently gained loads of confidence with us picking him up for a second shot. Hopefully he'll have a third stint here, and a more prolongued one than the last two.

On a side note, this is how you kill team chemistry. Pick up magic beans for good roster players who are well-liked.
This is how most teams sell at the deadline, it’s not f***ing oiler specific, lots of things to hate chia for, this isn’t one

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Overpayment? Maybe, sure, but I'd rather have Davy than the pick. a third rounder doesn't fill any team needs. Davy did.
He did?

He wouldn't even be in the lineup if it weren't for injuries.

I'm perfectly content with playing Auvitu in that #6 spot over Davidson.

Reactions: karnige

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Overpayment? Maybe, sure, but I'd rather have Davy than the pick. a third rounder doesn't fill any team needs. Davy did.

Exactly, and with Oilers drafting that 3rd round pick is just giving him away for free. I like Davidson he works has heart and adds depth which we need but whatever.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Davidson could get a good opportunity on the isles D. He can be a good 5-6. He had a stretch of play where he looked like a legit top 4 a couple of years ago but fell off. Probably a #7 on a good blue line but he’ll help the isles down the stretch. Can’t complain about a 3rd for him though. Pretty surprised.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
He did decently well treading water on the third pairing, but I don't really get this.

Very much a fringe NHLer.
Snow is desperate to improve the D but won’t give up a second rounder or anything more valuable. And he kinda owes Chia. So that’s how this happens.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
1). Davidson is a solid citizen and should help the Isles depth. He can defend.

2). Pretty steep price to pay for a recent waiver pickup, and Oilers have a logjam of bottom pairing LH shot D. Small win for Chiafoolish for a change.

3). Isles still owe us big for Reinhardt deal, so please no belly-aching. Lol

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
He did?

He wouldn't even be in the lineup if it weren't for injuries.

I'm perfectly content with playing Auvitu in that #6 spot over Davidson.

Sure, Auvitu can take the spot. But here's the thing: I'd trust Davidson to play him on any of the three pairings if required. In a short stint, he's good enough to even play top-pairing with Larsson in case of major injuries. Auvitu? Not at all. He has to be confined to the third pairing, whereas I'd comfortably place Davy in the top 4 this year. He's been better than Benning, Klefbom, and Sekera this year.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
Sure, Auvitu can take the spot. But here's the thing: I'd trust Davidson to play him on any of the three pairings if required. In a short stint, he's good enough to even play top-pairing with Larsson in case of major injuries. Auvitu? Not at all. He has to be confined to the third pairing, whereas I'd comfortably place Davy in the top 4 this year. He's been better than Benning, Klefbom, and Sekera this year.
you realize the islanders don't play defense to start. so have a guy who fumbles the puck and goes for the big hit too much is going to help?

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Don't know much about him, but his stats don't look terrible. I know stats don't tell the whole story for dmen, but is it him that's bad or is the whole defense bad? Give us an honest scouting report.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
How could the Isles have had him for free? Oilers surely were ahead of them on the waiver wire.

You may be right I thought he was waived earlier in the season when the waivers were based on last year but it may have been later than I remembered.

Even in that case I have to think that Montreal would have taken a later pick than a 3rd at the time. But I guess needs change.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
So he was decent on the Oilers (I remember a small minority of fans saying he was more valuable than Hamonic)

Then he gets traded to the Habs and is bad

Gets waived, goes back to the Oilers, and is decent again? I don't care much about the whole "Chia gets a 3rd for a waiver claim", not the first time a player on waivers improved his play and their GM cashes out on a claim. In a karmic sense we owe the Oilers a few favors.

What can we expect moving forward? #4? #5?

Reactions: PWJunior

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad