Proposal: EDM - NSH : Oilers All In

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Id rather re-sign Barrie and keep Holloway, and the 2 firsts.
Forsberg playing on either McDavid or Draisaitls wing is going to be looking for a lot more than the 6m he's earning until 2022

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Won’t comment on it from the preds side of things.

From an oilers perspective that is a crippling amount of futures to give up for 100 games each out of forsberg and Ekholm before they both hit free agency and likely are priced out of Edmonton.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Trading Holloway would be like trading right now would be like trading Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat.

Too many moving parts here anyway. Pick one of Nashville's pieces, then make an offer on it. Saros for Koskinen and a 1st? I'd do it. Ekholm? Not really a need, so I pass. Forsberg? That would be awesome, but I don't think we can afford him while still improving in net.

How's Matt Benning doing in Nashville? I was sad he left Edmonton at first. I'd take him back for depth.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Trading Holloway would be like trading right now would be like trading Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat.

Too many moving parts here anyway. Pick one of Nashville's pieces, then make an offer on it. Saros for Koskinen and a 1st? I'd do it. Ekholm? Not really a need, so I pass. Forsberg? That would be awesome, but I don't think we can afford him while still improving in net.

How's Matt Benning doing in Nashville? I was sad he left Edmonton at first. I'd take him back for depth.

The closest thing to Erat in this proposal would be Neal and Koskinen. In this scenario you're trading Holloway and getting back an elite 1st liner who's signed for cheap, a 40 point 25 minute a night defenseman signed for cheap and an upgrade at goal. I don't think the situations are remotely similar.

Would it suck to give up a Holloway, sure, but the goal is to win the cup and you improve at three positions while also giving up two cap dumps.

Benning was good for a few games, but hasn't impressed a lot. He's been passed over by several of our young guys.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
it sure is. when you ask for retention, its either a no or the price goes way up. or you throw in an Alex Kerfoot and get told they dont want them. basically any money going the other way isnt of interest. but do they know why theyre in the deal??
Wait, you’re crying because other teams don’t want to take on salary for free to make your trade work?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
A good effort by OP but not sure there is enuf value w/Forsberg.
Maybe still a large package but less than this.

Also remember, as was said, you are competing w/Nash option to sell those pieces separately.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
Wait, you’re crying because other teams don’t want to take on salary for free to make your trade work?
nope. theres a difference between a negative value cap dump (Neal, Lucic, Eriksson), and a positive value, or valueless player who's cap is in the trade to make the deal work, in our case Kerfoot or maybe Andersen.

appreciate the question though.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The closest thing to Erat in this proposal would be Neal and Koskinen. In this scenario you're trading Holloway and getting back an elite 1st liner who's signed for cheap, a 40 point 25 minute a night defenseman signed for cheap and an upgrade at goal. I don't think the situations are remotely similar.

Would it suck to give up a Holloway, sure, but the goal is to win the cup and you improve at three positions while also giving up two cap dumps.

Benning was good for a few games, but hasn't impressed a lot. He's been passed over by several of our young guys.

I can see how I unintentionally compared Forsberg to Erat. The proper and intended comparison was in the "dump a future star" variety, apologies for the poor wordsmithing on my end.

Forsberg wouldn't be a good trade for Holloway for us because we won't be able to afford to keep him when his current deal is up. Holloway will be scoring 30 goals for us for a long time, Forsberg would leave to be properly paid by a team with cap space after next season. We do get one bad cap dump eliminated in this deal (Neal). Koskinen isn't awful, he's not the only backup quality goalie making 4 million per. Our issue is that we have two backups (1 playing in god mode so far all year though). So Saros makes sense for us. The rest are pieces that would be awesome to have in a cap free world, but having ELC players like Holloway producing for us will help better than anything.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It sounds like Nashville will definitely listen to offers on Ekholm, but will not be trading Forsberg, OP.

If they did, I don't think the Predators will be eager to take cap dumps, either. They shouldn't need to do it. Beyond that, the offer is a little light on top-tier prospects and heavy on picks. This doesn't seem like the best they could do -- assuming that the player they appear not to be trading were actually traded.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Two big negative values in koskinen and Neal really kill the value here
Neal is negative value. He has some health issues that compound his inclusion in a trade as well. It sounds like he is still trying to recover from the after effects of COVID. The longer that goes, the more it seems like a medical issue rather than a simple case of being out of shape to start the year, but I'm no doctor so who knows.

Koskinen is neutral value unless a team is cap strapped or already has two goalies signed for next year. Unless Nashville's GM really doesn't like him that is, but he's fine as a backup.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Neal is negative value. He has some health issues that compound his inclusion in a trade as well. It sounds like he is still trying to recover from the after effects of COVID. The longer that goes, the more it seems like a medical issue rather than a simple case of being out of shape to start the year, but I'm no doctor so who knows.

Koskinen is neutral value unless a team is cap strapped or already has two goalies signed for next year. Unless Nashville's GM really doesn't like him that is, but he's fine as a backup.
If we trade Saros we need a starter not a backup so he doesn't move the needle and is nothing more than a dump to us.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
If we trade Saros we need a starter not a backup so he doesn't move the needle and is nothing more than a dump to us.
Let's be real here, if Saros is available you probably need a starter and a backup next year. I'm assuming Rinne is hanging them up, no? If Saros isn't available, he isn't available, regardless of whether Koskinen is a dump to you or not.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Let's be real here, if Saros is available you probably need a starter and a backup next year. I'm assuming Rinne is hanging them up, no? If Saros isn't available, he isn't available, regardless of whether Koskinen is a dump to you or not.
I don't think anyone knows exactly what Rinne's plans are tbh, heck he may not even know yet. His contract is up but in his case that doesn't mean much.

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
nope. theres a difference between a negative value cap dump (Neal, Lucic, Eriksson), and a positive value, or valueless player who's cap is in the trade to make the deal work, in our case Kerfoot or maybe Andersen.

appreciate the question though.
You’re missing the point. Even if a player has a positive value in a vacuum, if the other team has no interest in the player they aren’t going to take on the salary for free unless they’re desperate to get a deal done.

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
I’d rather just buyout Neal as moving cap in this environment is going to be expensive
Either that or have a handshake agreement with Seattle

coopooter

Sep 28, 2017
There are teams much more desperate for D than Oil that will beat their offer

Although after gutting Olympic team quality D Corp in search of a center Nash would finally get a blue chip center prospect

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad