James Neal
Mikko Koskenin
Dylan Holloway
Dimitri Samorukov
Oilers 1st 2021, Oilers 1st 2022, Oilers 1st 2023

Juuse Saros = 1st
Mattias Ekholm = Koskinen + 1st + Samurokov
Filip Forsberg = Holloway + Neal + 1st

Oilers effectively deal away four 1st round picks (three future picks and Holloway) and decent D prospect in Samorukov and move Neal and his contract for an upgrade in goal, an upgrade on the left D (mid pairing) and a top winger in Forsberg. Edmonton is locked and loaded for the playoffs much to Draisaitl's and McDavid's relief.

Before Oiler fans flip out think of the line up:

Drai - McDavid - Puljujarvi
Forsberg - RNH - Yamamoto

or:

Forsberg - McDavid - Puljujarvi
RNH - Drai - Yamamoto

Nurse - Barrie
Ekholm - Larsson
Lagesson - Bear

In Goal: Saros - Smith

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I think Nashville is better off selling then separate.

I do like your line of thinking though OP.

With McDavid and Draisaitl still playing top notch, above-tier level hockey the Oilers need to go all in, especially in a weakened division where you have a solid chance of making the conference finals.

HughesNation

Jan 20, 2021
Ay bro, Idk if it's a mistake, but I think you had to open your Xbox, log in NHL and then post your offer in the GM mode?

Kuznetsnow

Nov 26, 2019
You'd probably want to drop samorukov and one of the 1sts and replace that with Broberg. Much more intuitive for Nashville to get both a Forsberg and Ekholm replacement

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Probably an overpay for Saros though not a huge overpay. Just a giant hell no on the Ekholm and Forsberg parts though.

A 1st and Holloway is a huge payment for 1.5 years of Forsberg. Yes Neal is there but the Oilers have to keep cap compliant.

I can see Ekholm being moved for something different. Samorukov is a good prospect but isn't our best.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
A 1st and Holloway is a huge payment for 1.5 years of Forsberg. Yes Neal is there but the Oilers have to keep cap compliant.

I can see Ekholm being moved for something different. Samorukov is a good prospect but isn't our best.
But again, you have to remember that to us, it's kind of considered a no-brainer that we can re-sign Forsberg and Ekholm. That's what always breaks in these offers. Forsberg is a 9.5-year asset to us, and Ekholm is 6.5 years. Nobody can match that value when they think of them as 1.5 year assets. It will never make sense for any other team.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
this is a good premise that i agree with. the only thing hurting this is Neal as a dump. he would cost a 1st at least to move him alone, so its almost like he cancels one 1st out.

i know he is there for cap purposes but it does hurt the value a lot. if he isnt there it looks like a good deal.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
this is a good premise that i agree with. the only thing hurting this is Neal as a dump. he would cost a 1st at least to move him alone, so its almost like he cancels one 1st out.

i know he is there for cap purposes but it does hurt the value a lot. if he isnt there it looks like a good deal.

It's tough to make these trades work cap-wise.

CatchyTune

JOHN TAVARES IS A MAPLE LEAF
Jan 8, 2016
Ontario
It's tough to make these trades work cap-wise.
it sure is. when you ask for retention, its either a no or the price goes way up. or you throw in an Alex Kerfoot and get told they dont want them. basically any money going the other way isnt of interest. but do they know why theyre in the deal??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad