Confirmed with Link: [EDM/NSH] Oilers acquire Matt Hendricks for Devan Dubnyk

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Huh? He was a number one draft pick so your statement is completely misguided. The last couple of years may have been indicative of the Oilers perhaps hanging on too long and MacT has had no faith in DD since he became GM.

Wat.

No, he was a first rounder. Not a #1.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not that it matters, but with DD potentially going down do we save cap any cap space or does NSH get all the savings?

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Pretty sure in this thread I said he would only have 10 games left and his NHL career was over. Looks like it was shorter than that.

Oiler11

Oct 6, 2006
Pretty sure in this thread I said he would only have 10 games left and his NHL career was over. Looks like it was shorter than that.

He'll be back. This is Nashville remember. They are a budget team and Dubs was clearly their number 3. They don't want to pay him to sit any more and want someone to take him off their hands. He'll be some teams back up next year, just not at 3.5mill per.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Just a horrendous season. Horribly average goaltender, probably doesn't deserve to be in the NHL tbh, and is being handled accordingly now, apparently.

Last edited:

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He'll be back. This is Nashville remember. They are a budget team and Dubs was clearly their number 3. They don't want to pay him to sit any more and want someone to take him off their hands. He'll be some teams back up next year, just not at 3.5mill per.

I don't even know that he'll be gone from their team. I also don't know that he's clearly their number 3. If I was Dubnyk though I'd be trying to stick with Nashville or try find another team that is really good at developing goalies. He clearly needs some work and if he ever wants to be in the NHL again, he needs to work out these kinks now.

Oiler11

Oct 6, 2006
I don't even know that he'll be gone from their team. I also don't know that he's clearly their number 3. If I was Dubnyk though I'd be trying to stick with Nashville or try find another team that is really good at developing goalies. He clearly needs some work and if he ever wants to be in the NHL again, he needs to work out these kinks now.

Well Rinne is clearly number 1 and dub's been sitting in favour of the other kid so trotz sure thinks he's number 3. They still have playoff hopes I don't think they waiver someone who they think is their number 2.

I liked dubs but like you said he has kinks. He's still young for a goalie (see Tim Thomas).

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Oh Dubs, you have made it impossible to defend you now. I forget where I saw it, but there was something written about his fitness being an issue. Looks like he just completely fell out of favour in Nashville after they got a closer look at the condition he was in. Must have had a pretty horrible summer last year with his buddy LOLbarbera training.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
Because he was a first round pick he should be given an unlimited leash? I'm surprised people are sticking up for him here. Do they know him personally or something? He was a terrible goaltender and its completely apparent now.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Because he was a first round pick he should be given an unlimited leash? I'm surprised people are sticking up for him here. Do they know him personally or something? He was a terrible goaltender and its completely apparent now.

If the story about his condition is true that is infuriating. The only reason I felt bad for Dubnyk is I bought into the myth he had no talent but worked his arse off and was a really nice guy. The latter two being the reason he stuck around for so long. That Dubnyk I felt sorry for.

If the real Dubnyk didn't even work his arse off knowing he possessed no talent, then I won't feel bad when he never plays in the league again.

TKB21

Oct 27, 2013
If the story about his condition is true that is infuriating. The only reason I felt bad for Dubnyk is I bought into the myth he had no talent but worked his arse off and was a really nice guy. The latter two being the reason he stuck around for so long. That Dubnyk I felt sorry for.

If the real Dubnyk didn't even work his arse off knowing he possessed no talent, then I won't feel bad when he never plays in the league again.

I would like to add as well that he made a crap load of money. I don't feel sorry for the guy at all, he become a millionaire with sub par talents.

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005
I would like to add as well that he made a crap load of money. I don't feel sorry for the guy at all, he become a millionaire with sub par talents.

Exactly not sure why people are defending the guy. Many were wrong about him, admit it and move on. I was really wrong about Schremp and Paajarvi, it happens.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I was perusing the waiver thread on the main board, a moderator and another poster indicated Dubnyk and everyone else from yesterday cleared waivers.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Well, Tambellini had questioned Dubnyk apparently in 2012 in an Oilersnation article so not surprised the goof got turfed

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
:shakeheadSeriously...just look at all the previous threads this season prior to his play and you can see all the Dubnyk nut-huggers defending him.
Many of us called Dubnyk out as being barely a backup in the NHL long before this season and long before last season. Typical Oiler fans saying he was in the running to be on the OLYMPIC team...:help:
Some compared him to Carey Price and said they wouldn't trade Dubnyk for Price because apparently Dubnyk has talent oozing out of him.

Most used his over inflated save% on a ****** team to justify his elite status.

I've criticized this move from the time he was selected in the first round. I remember sitting and watching the draft.

If people actually watched the guy play you'd notice he was funamentally wrong and had zero compete.

But wait... he had a .921 save %...:shakehead

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
:shakeheadSeriously...just look at all the previous threads this season prior to his play and you can see all the Dubnyk nut-huggers defending him.
Many of us called Dubnyk out as being barely a backup in the NHL long before this season and long before last season. Typical Oiler fans saying he was in the running to be on the OLYMPIC team...:help:
Some compared him to Carey Price and said they wouldn't trade Dubnyk for Price because apparently Dubnyk has talent oozing out of him.

I've criticized this move from the time he was selected in the first round. I remember sitting and watching the draft.

If people actually watched the guy play you'd notice he was funamentally wrong and had zero compete.

Lowe needs to hire you asap, you are more knowledgeable than anyone in the oilers franchise

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
Lowe needs to hire you asap, you are more knowledgeable than anyone in the oilers franchise

Got lucky on the call, was wrong about Omark.

I've applied for the GM position, open letter to Katz. No reply yet, hopefully they'll notice my elite armchair GM'ing and hire me on the spot without an interview.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Got lucky on the call, was wrong about Omark.

I've applied for the GM position, open letter to Katz. No reply yet, hopefully they'll notice my elite armchair GM'ing and hire me on the spot without an interview.

they should hire you for goaltending coach, then you could work your way up after macT is done making this team completely boring to watch

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012

Nice post. I can't believe there is still the odd Duby cling on defending him. Denial is a powerful thing. I'm hoping once this thread fades away we never have to discuss him again and can close this sad chapter in oilers goaltending history.

Kayen

SLAPPAPPYSHEV
Apr 28, 2009
The North
Nice post. I can't believe there is still the odd Duby cling on defending him. Denial is a powerful thing. I'm hoping once this thread fades away we never have to discuss him again and can close this sad chapter in oilers goaltending history.

I fully agree with this statement. His save percentage was overly inflated and some posters chose to ignore that and defend him merely on the basis of his "elite svpct"

oilers9799

Mar 29, 2005

sometimes this forum makes me wonder if people know anything about hockey...

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area

I remembered the same thing too that June.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad