Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NSH] Mattias Ekholm (4% retained) and 2024 6th for 2023 1st, Tyson Barrie, Reid Schaefer, and 2024 4th

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Elkholm is still the Oilers number 1D. Anyone who believes otherwise and that Nurse is their number one is out to lunch.
It's between him and Bouch. Two very different players stylistically... both are very good at what they do. Ek will never have as many points as Bouch and Bouch will never have as solid a defensive game as Ek. Perfect compliments.

Nurse is a top 4 D and is good at it. Overpaid but he is a good top 4 player.

Unfortunately, we only have 3 guys that qualify as Top 4 players. Massive Holland mistake and will probably be our undoing.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Elkholm is still the Oilers number 1D. Anyone who believes otherwise and that Nurse is their number one is out to lunch.

Facts would disagree. Nurse is still deployed as the #1 despite having by far the weakest partner of the top 4. If you wanted to argue Bouchard you could maybe make a case (although the massive PP minutes and lack of PK time makes it not a great one), but Ekholm is deployed behind Nurse in all situations under Knoblauch, just as he was under Woodcroft. I can’t help but think 2 NHL coaches know more than a random fan

TOI/GP
Bouchard - 23:02
Nurse - 21:56
Ekholm - 21:03

Non PP TOI/GP
Nurse - 20:53
Ekholm - 20:09
Bouchard - 19:31

ES TOI/GP
Bouchard - 19:10
Nurse - 18:22
Ekholm - 18:05

SH TOI/GP
Nurse - 2:32
Ekholm - 2:04
Bouchard - 0:20

PP TOI/GP
Bouchard - 3:31
Nurse - 1:03
Ekholm - 0:54

Last edited:

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Facts would disagree. Nurse is still deployed as the #1 despite having by far the weakest partner of the top 4. If you wanted to argue Bouchard you could maybe make a case (although the massive PP minutes and lack of PK time makes it not a great one), but Ekholm is deployed behind Nurse in all situations under Knoblauch, just as he was under Woodcroft. I can’t help but think 2 NHL coaches know more than a random fan

TOI/GP

Non PP TOI/GP

ES TOI/GP

SH TOI/GP

PP TOI/GP

If nurse wasn't making 9.25 I guarantee he wouldn't be on the top pair. Coaches are trying to justify his cap hit.

• Haha
Reactions: Dempsey

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

TOI/GP

Non PP TOI/GP

ES TOI/GP

SH TOI/GP

PP TOI/GP
That is the case this year because Ekholm plays against tougher competition more than Nurse does 33% of his time vs 30% for Nurse. Ekholm sees slightly less time than Nurse simply because Bouchard plays so much PP.
Ekholm is our best defender AINEC.

Ekholm - Bouchard are used as our top pair even if Nurse sees slighlty more 5v5 minutes, thats cause he does more clean up work against weaker competition.

Ekholm > Nurse all day every day.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
If nurse wasn't making 9.25 I guarantee he wouldn't be on the top pair. Coaches are trying to justify his cap hit.

Oh come on. That might actually be the worst take I’ve ever seen on here. A coach in the NHL couldn’t care less about caphit. It’s all about who is going to give them the best chance to win. If cap hit mattered Campbell would be in the NHL over Pickard

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Oh come on. That might actually be the worst take I’ve ever seen on here. A coach in the NHL couldn’t care less about caphit. It’s all about who is going to give them the best chance to win. If cap hit mattered Campbell would be in the NHL over Pickard
Campbell was in the NHL over Pickard for an entire year when it was even clear then he was cooked.

At the end of the day, together Ekholm and Nurse are worth their combined cap hits, although Ekholm deserves more of that then Nurse does.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019

I have a feeling one reason why Nurse is on the top pair is because Ceci is better defensively than Bouchard. Plus he's bigger and more physical. Not sure if the coach trusts Bouchard on the top pair.

Nurse wouldn't have the same impact with Bouchard that Ekholm does. Plus that pairing would be a disaster defensively. So it only makes sense to pair your best defensive dman with your weakest defensively of the top 4.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I have a feeling one reason why Nurse is on the top pair is because Ceci is better defensively than Bouchard. Plus he's bigger and more physical. Not sure if the coach trusts Bouchard on the top pair.

Nurse wouldn't have the same impact with Bouchard that Ekholm does. Plus that pairing would be a disaster defensively. So it only makes sense to pair your best defensive dman with your weakest defensively of the top 4.
This would be true if the Nurse pairing saw tougher minutes...which it doesn't
This year Nurse is seeing less minutes than before. The Ekholm pairing is seeing the most tough minutes and our 3rd pairing is seeing more tough minutes than it used to as well....because Nurse couldn't handle them. And even then, he is JUST breaking even.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
ekholm is the oilers second most valuable player

not saying he's better than draisaitl, but he has a greater impact on their lineup. top-10 defenseman in the league this year; bouchard would be a pumpkin without him, but is a top-20 defenseman next to him.

Reactions: Seiza

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Okay. I was wrong, what’s your point? Everyone has their hits and misses, that’s a big miss. I believed with the trajectory he was taking at the time it was the right move for Nashville. Didn’t pan out that way.
It still was the right move for Nashville. Carrying all 3 of Josi, McDonagh, and Ekholm forward was a road to nowheresville. Schaefer struggled this season in the AHL, but Molendyk would have made the NHL roster out of camp, as a 19 year old (pretty unheard of for the Preds D), if Bruno hadn't been talked out of it. He is very likely to be a Pred next season.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It still was the right move for Nashville. Carrying all 3 of Josi, McDonagh, and Ekholm forward was a road to nowheresville. Schaefer struggled this season in the AHL, but Molendyk would have made the NHL roster out of camp, as a 19 year old (pretty unheard of for the Preds D), if Bruno hadn't been talked out of it. He is very likely to be a Pred next season.
That’s fair, but I genuinely believed given what I had heard from Nashville fans, along with his age, it was the right move on those merits and a case of Edmonton buying at a bad time.

Was wrong on that latter front 100%, won’t deny it for a second.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Molendyk is gonna be a good dman for Nashville and Schaefer is making strides in his AHL development the 2nd half of the year. We still have a 4th from the deal which coincidentally is a round we have had a bit of success in (Saros, Ekholm, craig smith, arvidsson, carrier).

As i mentioned prior to this deal ever happening, i thought ekholm was the perfect match for Edmonton because he would be a great match for Bouchard. I figured he could help unlock his potential similar to how he helped with Carrier in Nashville. Seems like i was right.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
This would be true if the Nurse pairing saw tougher minutes...which it doesn't
This year Nurse is seeing less minutes than before. The Ekholm pairing is seeing the most tough minutes and our 3rd pairing is seeing more tough minutes than it used to as well....because Nurse couldn't handle them. And even then, he is JUST breaking even.

Then Nurse must be on the 2nd pairing then. Because when I see the start of Oiler games, it always shows Nurse and Ceci as the first pair and Ekholm and Bouchard as the 2nd pair. But the TV crew don't always show correct lines each game.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Then Nurse must be on the 2nd pairing then. Because when I see the start of Oiler games, it always shows Nurse and Ceci as the first pair and Ekholm and Bouchard as the 2nd pair. But the TV crew don't always show correct lines each game.
The lines you see are the ones on the official gamesheet, and the order doesn't really matter beyond which line is starting the game.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
You won't find any Nashville fan with a bad word to say about Ekholm. He is the definition of a warrior and was beloved in Nashville. I also think moving in a different direction has proven to be a good move for Nashville. I'd love to see Ekholm hoist a trophy as long as it's not at our expense. Nashville fans all knew the only way he'd truly be appreciated was to get out of this market.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Ekholm is the Oilers best D man.

He’s an incredible hockey player, he is so good all over the ice.
And he was better in 2017. It's the reason I always held at the time that if I had to keep one Dman it would have been Ekholm and not Josi. He's not going to put up Josi level points, but Josi can't play with just anyone and make them better while also shutting the other teams top guys down.

People can say what they want but Subban's Norris nomination year in Nashville was more about playing with Ekholm than anything Subban himself did. Should have been Ekholm getting that nod tbh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad