Confirmed Trade: [EDM/NSH] Mattias Ekholm (4% retained) and 2024 6th for 2023 1st, Tyson Barrie, Reid Schaefer, and 2024 4th

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Ekholm is who he always was. A great top-pair defenseman.

Like I said when the trade went down: Ekholm will make Oilers fans realize that Nurse is a wildly-overpaid #3, which is what everyone has been trying to tell them forever.

To me he's more of a wildly overpaid #2. His skating, passing, and nastiness skills are #1D, his brain is a #5D. He plays some of the toughest competition in the league and consistently comes out ahead at EV. So on most nights he's more than carrying the mail in a top pairing role with Ceci as his partner (yipes!).

... and then every 4-5 games he loses a game for you trying to do too much (or quite often, trying to do someone else's job). Frustrating.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Ekholm is one of my favorite players in the league.

That said this move (or any move to improve Edm d) is like 7 years too late its a dam shame

Almost like having a #1 dman (on an absolute steal of a contract) retire to injury at 26 is something franchises would struggle with.

This has gotta help out the pain of the nurse contact right oilers fans? Got him and nurse for a combined 15 million, not that bad.

Meh. Most level headed fans don’t really care about overpaying their top dman by like 1.25 million

Ekholm is who he always was. A great top-pair defenseman.

Like I said when the trade went down: Ekholm will make Oilers fans realize that Nurse is a wildly-overpaid #3, which is what everyone has been trying to tell them forever.

He’s just not. Nurse is still playing above Ekholm and doing well. Ekholm is the perfect fit as our #2 behind Nurse though. Nurse is a pretty run and gun style player (which I’m assuming is why people tend to massively underrate him?) so having one of the most steady guys in the league right behind him is definitely a good idea

The 4% retention makes me laugh every time

It’s because we’re literally that tight to the cap. We have $167 (not thousand) of wiggle room

• Haha
Reactions: CycloneSweep

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Ekholm has 58 points and a +71 in 96 regular season games for the Oilers. What an absolute beast. This has to be Holland's best trade as an Oilers GM.

Rephrased for you…
This has to be Holland's best trade as a GM.

AINEC. I almost forgive him for trading two 2nd for 9 games of Athanasiou when the Avs landed Toews for the same return earlier in the same season.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Nashville used that 1st on Tanner Molendyk in case people are wondering. Reid Schaefer has had a challenging season as an AHL rookie with only 18 points.
I almost forgive him for trading two 2nd for 9 games of Athanasiou when the Avs landed Toews for the same return earlier in the same season.
The Toews trade was a few months after the Athanasiou trade...and after COVID destroyed all cap growth projections.

Reactions: zar and Kevin27NYI

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Nashville needs to share their secret recipe for churning out stud defenders.

Please.
Seems to mostly boil down to:
-Have people that can identify them (it's more than just points or physical attributes)

-Have a plan to develop them that doesn't involve throwing them on an NHL roster at 18 or 19, and if they're not ready, they're not ready (funny story was Ekholm was so bad in a brief stint in '11-'12 Trotz called him out and he was sent back to Sweden for the year)

-Have good established NHL defenseman that can insulate their development for their first couple NHL seasons

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Nashville knows what they are doing, especially with D. I don't think this trade was bad/good in hindsight because I don't think Nashville/Edmonton could have reasonably predicted this renaissance.

New system, new role, new player imo. He's been an MVP since game one here.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Nashville used that 1st on Tanner Molendyk in case people are wondering. Reid Schaefer has had a challenging season as an AHL rookie with only 18 points.

The Toews trade was a few months after the Athanasiou trade...and after COVID destroyed all cap growth projections.

Thanks… I knew it was around the same time. Even worse that Holland blew his load on AA, when he actually could have landed Toews.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia

WRT Schaefer.... he had an extremely slow start to the season. 12 of his point have come in his last 23 games played (that leaves 6 in the first 34). Still not a tearing it up but a significant improvement from the first half if the season. Still hope for him if he can keep figuring things out.

Reactions: TheKingSlayer

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Dude, your takes are f*cking gold lol.
Evem if that were true, Edm has already recieved full value from him.

He has changed thewhole team. Bouchard isn't having the season he is without Eck.

Nurse doesn't have to take as many tough mins.

Grand slam of a trade for Edm

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Rephrased for you…
This has to be Holland's best trade as a GM.

AINEC. I almost forgive him for trading two 2nd for 9 games of Athanasiou when the Avs landed Toews for the same return earlier in the same season.
As a Wings fan, I’m not a fan of Holland but there had to be a trade with the Wings where he had a better trade. On further inspection…. Holland is worse than I thought. He made a couple decent moves dumping players but acquiring players he’s terrible. I can’t believe this clown is able to live off his reputation from reshaping the Wings into the cap era.

Reactions: Czechboy and zar

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Nashville knows what they are doing, especially with D. I don't think this trade was bad/good in hindsight because I don't think Nashville/Edmonton could have reasonably predicted this renaissance.

New system, new role, new player imo. He's been an MVP since game one here.
Wouldn't have predicted his game elevating necessarily, but we've talked up how good Ekholm was for years, and how he was a legit top pairing guy, and even had latent offensive ability that just never got to come out because of his partners and role in Nashville. As always, other fans would always downplay the individual and credit the overall strength of the Preds defense, or other individuals on it, instead.

It was a f***ing gut punch to trade the guy, but it was just the right time to make some big changes.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Elkholm is still the Oilers number 1D. Anyone who believes otherwise and that Nurse is their number one is out to lunch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad