Seravalli: Edm looking for toughness? Seravalli " Oilers were interested in Reaves"

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I know if I wanted to build a successful defence, two members of the 21-22 Montreal Canadiens would be MY first stop...

How about two members of the 20-21 Stanley Cup finalist than, AKA the team that stomped the team that stomped your team?

And you can shit on the 21-22 edition all you want but let's not act like Edmunson wouldn't be your 3rd best defenseman right at the gate, at worst.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
yes, let's pretend that Carey Price wasn't a thing and that the team didn't go all to pieces without him...?

The best goaltender of His generation was epic, sure, but even He needed help. Like the one McDavid never received from either Oilers goaltending and defense that year, and last year too btw.

Like, what's the plan this year? Same old stuff?
You have freakin' Ceci, Barrie and Kulak in your top 4, Edmunson ownz all of them. He's the Guy you want with Barrie.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
yes, let's pretend that Carey Price wasn't a thing and that the team didn't go all to pieces without him...?

Actually we also lost 1/3 of the team.

We also lost Shea Weber, Philip Danault, Kotkaniemi who all played big minutes.

Plus Petry had the worst year of his Habs Career and Edmunson played 24 games.

Ie that team lost its 2nd and 3rd line centres + 2 top 4 dmen + a 3rd had the worst year of his career after being separate from his family.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Actually we also lost 1/3 of the team.

We also lost Shea Weber, Philip Danault, Kotkaniemi who all played big minutes.

Plus Petry had the worst year of his Habs Career and Edmunson played 24 games.

Ie that team lost its 2nd and 3rd line centres + 2 top 4 dmen + a 3rd had the worst year of his career after being separate from his family.

It's like, who cares about things like "context" and "facts" when you can shittalk without looking at no hockey at all, only stats sheets, nowadays

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Although we should expect Yzerman to resign him, Erne would be a really good fit with the Oilers if he’s moved.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
brybry, I see eye to eye w/you more than some fellow Oil posters who wlll remain nameless.
That said, I find it hard to believe that Para has fallen this far in a super short period of time.

Although being a D may invite more wear and tear than an F, I see him as a relatively durable guy. Were I acquiring would prefer end of term closer to 33 than 36 to be less risky. But at 6.5 fixed going forward, he is worth the bet.

Barrie can skate, yes, but this is not a bobby orr level of excellence there.
Yes, he is an effective scorer w/Oil, but he doesn't have a blazing shot. Nils L showed us a lot more.
Has some value to team w/the right need.
But he is what he is not more or less and should not be pumped up beyond that.

ps kudos on the avatar and tagline
I would tend to agree, but it does warrant some cause for concern. Literally our pro scouting should watch every single one of his games this season going back to pre-season and try to figure out why his stats are so poor this season. If it looks like he's lost a step, lost some compete level, whatever the case may be then you should walk away. If it just looks like bad luck or a bad team around him then you try to use that to your advantage and hope that it lowers his value and you try to get him for a little cheaper.
Watching their bottom 6 and thinking they should be finding guys who are tough to play against as in, players who give a damn the entire length of the ice, rather than players who bring little else other than chucking knuckles is where I'm left.
Toughness would be great, but guys that take the body, are heavy on their stick and have tireless work ethics would also be very welcome in our bottom 6.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Get Edmundson.

D and toughness.
It seems so simple, but I really am worried about his back issues. Larsson was a shell of himself for most of his time in Edmonton because of a bad back and then the loss of his dad. When your bread and butter is playing physical and your back is not cooperating with you, it can really mess with a player's effectiveness.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I would tend to agree, but it does warrant some cause for concern. Literally our pro scouting should watch every single one of his games this season going back to pre-season and try to figure out why his stats are so poor this season. If it looks like he's lost a step, lost some compete level, whatever the case may be then you should walk away. If it just looks like bad luck or a bad team around him then you try to use that to your advantage and hope that it lowers his value and you try to get him for a little cheaper.
I fully concur.
If the wheels are going off for real, that is def walk away territory.
I am unaware that there is a drop off actually attributable to the player, but I admit I am not in a position to be certain.
My assessment is public eye, from a distance.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
It seems so simple, but I really am worried about his back issues. Larsson was a shell of himself for most of his time in Edmonton because of a bad back and then the loss of his dad. When your bread and butter is playing physical and your back is not cooperating with you, it can really mess with a player's effectiveness.
To be honest his play is slipping, or maybe it's just the late start to his season, being a bigger, kind of older guy trying to catch up. Also doesn't help the Habs aren't complete trash, but they're closer to complete trash than good, so that might magnify it/can't really hide him for a few games to let him adjust.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad