Seravalli: Edm looking for toughness? Seravalli " Oilers were interested in Reaves"

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This sounds like Joel Edmunson no? Solid second pairing stay at home dman who is 6'5 and hits like a truck + can fight.

1 year left after this one at 3.5 million
yeah, but can he skate at all and actually play defense?

I was just thinking ‘you know what would help them come back in close games when they’re down? Another player to take ill timed roughing or cross checking penalties’

Have the oilers even been bullied much? I don’t think I’ve noticed that. They need a defenseman
Lindgren
Rangers ok today but could use cap going forward b'c while we are getting back 3.4+ in dead cap next season, we need bridge + enuf to make a decent long term offer to KAM, bc if we don't long term him now it will be more expensive to do so later.

Parayko for Barrie, 2023 1st (top 10 protected) and Bourgault
Derek Ryan for Austin Watson
Is Para available?
If yes the above is not remotely enuf
Para is still good
Barrie sucks
is overrated and overpriced

We're not getting a player like Parayko while trading Barrie for just a 1st. The price, even with his age and term without Barrie is probably a 1st and B prospect.

Adding Watson adds some toughness to the 4th line. Similar salaries, similar term.
seems to be contradictory to above post you made
either way, even if Para is cheaper than 2-3 years ago, he still costs
late 1st is not primary compensation for a guy like Para

Barrie might not even get Hoffman at this point.
Barrie does nothing really well except to a limited extent still skate
Hoff can still shoot, but that is about it

They don’t need toughness. At least not in a face puncher kind of way. They aren’t a bunch of daisies. The whole bottom 6 tend to sleepwalk through games though. A guy who likes to be the aggressor might jolt this team so maybe that’s why they possibly kicked some tires. Not a high priority though compared to other weaknesses.
This is Goodrow on the high end
Rangers can't really afford to move him but might consider it if enuf on the table to get cap relief going forward for rfas

Another obv guy is Blais, and I'm not keen on moving him either but I will listen if there is enuf profit on the table

Someone who is less obvious an ass kicker but is clearly scrappy, has played well on any of the 4 lines, is Vesey.
He'd be cheaper and give NY mo mins for Kravtsov

make offers
remember Lindgren esp would be competitive bidding

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We're not getting a player like Parayko while trading Barrie for just a 1st. The price, even with his age and term without Barrie is probably a 1st and B prospect.

Adding Watson adds some toughness to the 4th line. Similar salaries, similar term.
Parayko will be 30 before the end of this season and is on the hook for $6.5 million for 7 seasons beyond this one and has a whopping 3 assists in 16 games and is a -10 this season. If we make such a trade we are hitching our wagon on Nurse and Parayko to take us to the promised land in the next 3-4 seasons because we can't afford any other additions. I'd toss in a 1st rounder and really hope that he is the piece that we are missing (we'd still need a 2LD to round out our D), but adding Bourgault too when there is a chance that we regret taking on that contract in short order? No thanks.

He adds a punching bag to the 4th line.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Is Para available?
Para is still good
Barrie sucks

16gp. 0-3-3 -10 $6.5 million for 7 more years vs.
20gp. 3-9-12 -1 $4.5 million for 1 more year

Yes I would prefer Parayko because of his size, but you might want to take a look at some stats before pumping Parayko's tires and crapping on Barrie.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Yes I would prefer Parayko because of his size, but you might want to take a look at some stats before pumping Parayko's tires and crapping on Barrie.
The whole Barrie sucks spiel is a few years out of date. He's still high end for what he brings and would likely have a Gostisbehere level resurgence if he went to a team that didn't limit his 5v5 icetime.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Is Para available?
Para is still good
Barrie sucks

This exact trade was discussed and agreed to in a Blues thread about a week ago. I’d rather gauge his value from Blues fans rather than you. And while he hasn’t taken the steps we had hoped, no, we’re not trading Broberg to the Rangers for what you’re willing to trade.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
The Coyotes would trade Kassian back (sorry, couldn't resist)
Nemeth?
Nemeth? They are looking for someone who hits and fights not someone who has a “tough” time clearing the puck out of the D zone.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
If the Oilers want some toughness, the Sharks can provide some:

-Luke Kunin if you need a forward.
-Radim Simek if you need a strong defenseman who hits like a truck.

Willing to take a 2nd for either of them. Or we give you the player and a 2nd and you give us a 1st (an upgrade on the pick).
Neither of those guys is worth a 2nd.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Easy:

Edmunson for either 2023 or 2024 1st +a sweetener

He's the modern day Hall Gill, basically. He has two years of contract at 3.5M, which is crazy cheap knowing that you guys actually pay 4.5M for Barrie. He has two years, including this year left on his contract, and is probably the best guy you can mix with Barrie, since Edmunson has 0 offense and 100% defense

On your left side you than have:
Nurse
Edmunson
Kulak

Which is good.

Edmunson doesn't really fight (unless he has too), but he can stop everybody right in their tracks. He's also a solid leader.

In two years, both Barrie and Edmunson are without contracts too, so if for some reason it doesn't work, you can try to flip them next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Loss of Evander Kane has Holland feeling like Edmonton can use more toughness?

I havent watched much of Edm this year... are they getting pushed around?

I think size and mobility is why Kane made big impact. Hitting on two key areas in today's NHL. The forecheck and takes away time and space

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Oilers most likely wanted nyr to take someone back or some money back. Nyr wanted to clear all of reaves cap hit, org openly said that was a big part of this trade.
Yup, we are hard against the cap. Too many guys getting decent $ but not really producing offensively so it's hard for us to move them out to free up cap.

Reactions: bernmeister

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

brybry, I see eye to eye w/you more than some fellow Oil posters who wlll remain nameless.
That said, I find it hard to believe that Para has fallen this far in a super short period of time.

Although being a D may invite more wear and tear than an F, I see him as a relatively durable guy. Were I acquiring would prefer end of term closer to 33 than 36 to be less risky. But at 6.5 fixed going forward, he is worth the bet.

Barrie can skate, yes, but this is not a bobby orr level of excellence there.
Yes, he is an effective scorer w/Oil, but he doesn't have a blazing shot. Nils L showed us a lot more.
Has some value to team w/the right need.
But he is what he is not more or less and should not be pumped up beyond that.

ps kudos on the avatar and tagline

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
This exact trade was discussed and agreed to in a Blues thread about a week ago. I’d rather gauge his value from Blues fans rather than you. And while he hasn’t taken the steps we had hoped, no, we’re not trading Broberg to the Rangers for what you’re willing to trade.
Again, have I missed something?
Has Para completely fallen off a cliff?
Like not slump or impacted by team issues, but I mean like the wheels came off overnight, something like that?

B'c unless that is a yes, the notion, regardless of who is suggesting it, is wrong and Barrie is not a signif component for a Para deal.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Watching their bottom 6 and thinking they should be finding guys who are tough to play against as in, players who give a damn the entire length of the ice, rather than players who bring little else other than chucking knuckles is where I'm left.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I am not sure that Reaves is what the Oilers are missing. I mean, can he play defence? Maybe lay him down lengthwise in front of the crease and have him wave his arms around and scowl menacingly at opposing forwards?
Probably better than any D on the Oilers.

• Haha
Reactions: Warh1ppy

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Oilers most likely wanted nyr to take someone back or some money back. Nyr wanted to clear all of reaves cap hit, org openly said that was a big part of this trade.
This is almost a guarantee. We only have a small amount of LTIR space to play with, any trades we make must involve players going the other way.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
They need to replace what they lost in Larsson. They need a Nick Hague, Carson Soucy, Connor Murphy, etc.

Move Barrie and Broberg and pick up 2 guys like the listed above.

Then move the rest of your futures for a top 6 forward like Tarasenko or another similar option looking to be moved or even a center to play on the 3rd line. They should have a fair amount of cap with how long Kane is out for.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
The whole Barrie sucks spiel is a few years out of date. He's still high end for what he brings and would likely have a Gostisbehere level resurgence if he went to a team that didn't limit his 5v5 icetime.
No team, no coach, would maximize Barrie's 5v5 icetime. That's the opposite of what you do with a one-dimensional dman.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Easy:

Edmunson for either 2023 or 2024 1st +a sweetener

He's the modern day Hall Gill, basically. He has two years of contract at 3.5M, which is crazy cheap knowing that you guys actually pay 4.5M for Barrie. He has two years, including this year left on his contract, and is probably the best guy you can mix with Barrie, since Edmunson has 0 offense and 100% defense

On your left side you than have:
Nurse
Edmunson
Kulak

Which is good.

Edmunson doesn't really fight (unless he has too), but he can stop everybody right in their tracks. He's also a solid leader.

In two years, both Barrie and Edmunson are without contracts too, so if for some reason it doesn't work, you can try to flip them next year.
I know if I wanted to build a successful defence, two members of the 21-22 Montreal Canadiens would be MY first stop...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad