Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Leon Draisaitl signs extension (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
Contract is fair. But as a Bruins fan to Oiler fans, beware of Chiarelli. His cap and asset management cost him his job as the Bruin's GM.

He comes with a lot of pros. I thank him for the Cup in Boston and the team he built when he did. But also has cons. The years following the cup and finals trip saw how NOT to manage a top tier team.

Draisatl's contract is fair, but I don't think he did the Oilers any favors with it. Perhaps that's what it took to keep him there, but I don't think he took a discount, especially as most of those years are RFA years. Solid, and fair contract, but if Chiarelli does what he did in Boston, slightly overpaying the remainder to his depth players, you lose quality when you need to start re-upping and acquiring a better supporting cast, because all the money is spread out to lower tier players.

Chiarelli's tendency perhaps he's learned to deal with, but if he continues to overpay the middle to lower tier player (like he did in Boston), those deals are going to hurt more than the Draisatl deal does. I haven't been following Edmonton's cap situation enough, and like I said, perhaps he's learned over the years, but just be aware, every little bit of cap savings here and there should be vital. Especially if Chiarelli is unable manage his $$$. I don't doubt the Oilers are trending upwards, and I would be shocked if they weren't an upper tier team for a few years in the near future. It will be up to Chiarelli if the Oilers remain one though. The Bruins ride at the top was cut short due to his mismanagement (while it may not COMPLETELY his fault), he was at the helm during it.

Fantastic post. Sums up how I, as an Oilers fan, feel about the job Chiarelli has done so far and him going forward. I'm hoping he has learned from his prior mistakes but given the Lucic and Russell deals I doubt it.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
He looked awesome last night. Put Giordano on his ass.

Went 1 on 5 that resulted in a goal.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
I think the oilers are in really good shape and are a fantasticly talented young team.

Mcdavid is fantastically talented. Draisaitl is very good. It's a big drop after that pair.
I think the Oilers will be much easier to beat this year after SJ and ANA gave the blueprint on how to control Mcdavid.
Mcd needs room to move which is in short supply on the playoffs

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
Mcdavid is fantastically talented. Draisaitl is very good. It's a big drop after that pair.
I think the Oilers will be much easier to beat this year after SJ and ANA gave the blueprint on how to control Mcdavid.

haha i will bet you a lot that teams will try to control mcdavid, and fail miserably :P

McNuge

Dec 17, 2010
Cambridge Ontario

SJS had Vlasic glued to his hip and Kesler is on a different level as a defensive player than any other player in the league. He is so good defensively and is just an assclown on the ice, but my god is he ever effective.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
SJS had Vlasic glued to his hip and Kesler is on a different level as a defensive player than any other player in the league. He is so good defensively and is just an assclown on the ice, but my god is he ever effective.

Referees let him get away with a lot.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA

Other than Bergeron of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad