Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Leon Draisaitl signs extension (8 years, $8.5M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Contract is fair. But as a Bruins fan to Oiler fans, beware of Chiarelli. His cap and asset management cost him his job as the Bruin's GM.

He comes with a lot of pros. I thank him for the Cup in Boston and the team he built when he did. But also has cons. The years following the cup and finals trip saw how NOT to manage a top tier team.

Draisatl's contract is fair, but I don't think he did the Oilers any favors with it. Perhaps that's what it took to keep him there, but I don't think he took a discount, especially as most of those years are RFA years. Solid, and fair contract, but if Chiarelli does what he did in Boston, slightly overpaying the remainder to his depth players, you lose quality when you need to start re-upping and acquiring a better supporting cast, because all the money is spread out to lower tier players.

Chiarelli's tendency perhaps he's learned to deal with, but if he continues to overpay the middle to lower tier player (like he did in Boston), those deals are going to hurt more than the Draisatl deal does. I haven't been following Edmonton's cap situation enough, and like I said, perhaps he's learned over the years, but just be aware, every little bit of cap savings here and there should be vital. Especially if Chiarelli is unable manage his $$$. I don't doubt the Oilers are trending upwards, and I would be shocked if they weren't an upper tier team for a few years in the near future. It will be up to Chiarelli if the Oilers remain one though. The Bruins ride at the top was cut short due to his mismanagement (while it may not COMPLETELY his fault), he was at the helm during it.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Contract is fair. But as a Bruins fan to Oiler fans, beware of Chiarelli. His cap and asset management cost him his job as the Bruin's GM.

He comes with a lot of pros. I thank him for the Cup in Boston and the team he built when he did. But also has cons. The years following the cup and finals trip saw how NOT to manage a top tier team.

Draisatl's contract is fair, but I don't think he did the Oilers any favors with it. Perhaps that's what it took to keep him there, but I don't think he took a discount, especially as most of those years are RFA years. Solid, and fair contract, but if Chiarelli does what he did in Boston, slightly overpaying the remainder to his depth players, you lose quality when you need to start re-upping and acquiring a better supporting cast, because all the money is spread out to lower tier players.

Chiarelli's tendency perhaps he's learned to deal with, but if he continues to overpay the middle to lower tier player (like he did in Boston), those deals are going to hurt more than the Draisatl deal does. I haven't been following Edmonton's cap situation enough, and like I said, perhaps he's learned over the years, but just be aware, every little bit of cap savings here and there should be vital. Especially if Chiarelli is unable manage his $$$. I don't doubt the Oilers are trending upwards, and I would be shocked if they weren't an upper tier team for a few years in the near future. It will be up to Chiarelli if the Oilers remain one though. The Bruins ride at the top was cut short due to his mismanagement (while it may not COMPLETELY his fault), he was at the helm during it.

This is all true. I found the thing that hurt him the most though was handing out NTC/NMC to role players. It made getting rid of the Peverley's and Kelly's of the world for cap reasons really difficult which is why guys with value like Seguin, Kessel and Hamilton were always on the chopping block instead.

This contract shouldn't hurt them anytime soon, unless Drai hits a HUGE wall in his development

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

We are well aware of Chiarelli's successes and failures in Boston. We've discussed it at length as a fanbase. One important thing to realize with Chiarelli though, is that his cap issues came about by overpaying depth players. Remember, when you make the finals and win, your depth players are more sought after than a typical depth guy. Chiarelli should have let some guys like Chris Kelly walk away, but opted to try to make another run with the cup winning team. It's a spot that Chicago finds themselves in now too, losing depth guys because other guys are all getting raises because they won. I hope he learned to let role players walk away when they demand no movement clauses, ha ha.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Are people here new to hockey?

There are many reasons why Drai got paid what he did.

1. Drai out performed him
2. Drai is a better player
3. Drai is much much better in the Dzone
4. Drai is much bigger
5. Drai is much stronger
6. Drai has a better track record (He performed the year before centering his own line)
7. Drai has the best PPG in the playoffs.
8. Drai plays the more sought after position
9. Drai has the draft pedigree

Was he overpaid at 8.5? Not really.

Ryan Johansen got 8 million as a 61 point player. Drai is much younger and better. Johansen's contract takes up a ton of UFA years but again Drai is younger and better.

Evgeny Kuznetsov got 7.8 million as a 59 point player. Again, Drai is much younger and better.

Drai got 8.5 for 77 Points and the best PPG in the playoffs.

Yes, most likely the Oilers could have held out for say 8 million and Drai would have most likely missed training camp. That is not how you treat your stars it is bad to try to nickle and dime them. They miss training camp and most likely hold ill will (see Gaudreau and how his season went)

Also, McDavid could have gotten league max of 15 million if he demanded it. Any team in the NHL would give it to him, he is worth it. He took less and it more then offsets Drai's very small overpay.

Keep hating haters, Oilers are going to run a train on the league for a long time.

1. Draisaitl 0.72 ppg in NHL career, Pasterak 0.68 ppg in his NHL career while not playing with McDavid.
2. See #1
3. Draisaitl -12 in NHL career, Patrernak +26
4. Yup and...
5. See #4
6. Draisaitl gets more points and performs much better on McDavid's wing
7. Yes he has had one good playoffs
8. Sometimes, plays a lot on McDavid's wing though and hasn't shown yet that he can be dominant as a center away from McDavid.
9. So what

Chiarelli blew this negotiation.
He should have signed Draisaitl first not McDavid. McDavid's contract made it too easy for Draisaitl to ask more than the $7.5 that he should have gotten.

Overpaying each contract will eventually mean that they will not be able to afford the last piece they may need to win the cup.

Boston played hardball with Paternak because they have seen what paying too much for players will do (as happened when Chiarelli was their GM).
Pasternak signed without missing any training camp.

Bloated salaries seems to be what Edmonton is getting to be known for which is not the recipe to win a cup in a cap league.

I think your hope that the Oilers are going to "run a train on the rest of the league" may have already left the station.
:laugh:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
1. Draisaitl 0.72 ppg in NHL career, Pasterak 0.68 ppg in his NHL career while not playing with McDavid.
2. See #1
3. Draisaitl -12 in NHL career, Patrernak +26
4. Yup and...
5. See #4
6. Draisaitl gets more points and performs much better on McDavid's wing
7. Yes he has had one good playoffs
8. Sometimes, plays a lot on McDavid's wing though and hasn't shown yet that he can be dominant as a center away from McDavid.
9. So what

you realize that Pasta plays with the 4th leading scorer in the NHL last year in Marchand right?

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
You realize Marchand is as much a product of Pastrnak as Drasaitl is a product of McDavid?

Why does everyone has to be a product of someone else ? McDavid, Draisaitl, Pastrnak and Marchand are all very good players period.

Patrick Maroon is product of McDavid. Draisaitl isn't.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Pastnak with Marchand: 62.30 CF %

Pastrnak without Marchand: 51.40%

Marchand without Pastrnak: 56%.

So no, that's not right.

The big difference that your numbers doesn't consider is Marchand without Pastrnak is playing with Patrice Bergeron. Pastrnak without Marchand is not.

Context.

EDIT: Not necessarily saying Drai is a product of McDavid, just stating the issue with the numbers you provided.

I think both of their numbers away from Bergeron would be more telling, but a lot harder to find in regards to Marchand.

Last edited:

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Are people here new to hockey?

*snip*

Keep hating haters, Oilers are going to run a train on the league for a long time.

The irony in these two statements is staggering.

I think the oilers are in really good shape and are a fantasticly talented young team. But let's wait until they win a couple more playoff rounds before you claim they will "run the train" all over the league.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I haven't heard anyone calling Marchand generational have you?

so your dismissing Marchand's stats cause he isn't "generational"?
ok then

Drai plays with arguably the best player in the league

Pasternak plays with a very good player in the league

both benefit from their respective linemates...its not as if Pasta's playing with 3rd line bums out there

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
The big difference that your numbers doesn't consider is Marchand without Pastrnak is playing with Patrice Bergeron. Pastrnak without Marchand is not.

Context.

EDIT: Not necessarily saying Drai is a product of McDavid, just stating the issue with the numbers you provided.

Without Bergeron, both Pastrnak and Marchand have a 51%. When Bergeron is away from Marchand it dips to 49%. Without Pastrnak, it's at 57%.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
He only played 37 games his first season. That was enough to burn a ELC year, but not enough to burn a RFA year.

Any idea where I can find this info? I was reviewing the CBA and couldn't find it. If you are able to point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated. I usually hate guys that are too lazy to do the work themselves but I honestly couldn't find the info. You seemed confident in your answer so I figured you might know exactly where to find this info.

Last edited:

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
You realize McDavid's numbers increased as well once paired with Draisaitl too. Connor was on pace for like an ~80 point season until that point

That's not entirely uncommon. Some players get better when playing with certain guys. That chemistry thing is a crazy beast.

Both Drai and Mcjesus certainly feed off each other well.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Mcdavid paid juuuuust right, no arguement on the other two.

Just because Mc David deserves the 12.5M per year it doesn't mean the contract isn't going to cripple Edmontons cup chances. Same with Draisaitls.

This is a case where individual goals ( $ compensation) and team goal collide.

Oilers will not win a cup.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Just because Mc David deserves the 12.5M per year it doesn't mean the contract isn't going to cripple Edmontons cup chances. Same with Draisaitls.

Got the lotto numbers for this week too?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA

Might as well just fold the franchise and forfeit the future. yababy has spoken.

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB

Thanks... I searched the 40 games in the CBA and found this too...

Accrued Season" means any League Year during which a Player was on a
Club's Active Roster for 40 (30 if the Player is a goalie) or more Regular Season Games,
provided that, for the purposes of calculating an Accrued Season under this Agreement, games
missed due to a hockey-related injury incurred while on a Club's Active Roster shall count as
games played for purposes of calculating an Accrued Season but only during the League Year in
which the injury was incurred and a maximum of one additional season.

Much appreciated TheDoldrums.

Oilers Propagandist

Relax junior, it’s just a post.
Aug 27, 2016
Edmonton, AB

And? We get to watch McDavid play in his prime and Draisaitl too. woe is us.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
We are well aware of Chiarelli's successes and failures in Boston. We've discussed it at length as a fanbase. One important thing to realize with Chiarelli though, is that his cap issues came about by overpaying depth players. Remember, when you make the finals and win, your depth players are more sought after than a typical depth guy. Chiarelli should have let some guys like Chris Kelly walk away, but opted to try to make another run with the cup winning team. It's a spot that Chicago finds themselves in now too, losing depth guys because other guys are all getting raises because they won. I hope he learned to let role players walk away when they demand no movement clauses, ha ha.

I don't think he has moved on from it, judging from the Russel contract he gave out. We'll see soon though, if he starts paying above market value for these guys there will be trouble.

I don't think he is doing it because he is a bad GM. I think he is a good GM who the players like. He has a bit of Holland in him in that I think his personal relationships with his players impact the business decisions that sometimes have to be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad