Confirmed with Link: [EDM/LAK] Oilers acquire Ben Scrivens for 3rd round pick

SeriousBusiness

T.Hall da man
Oct 5, 2003
Seems like a few posters expected a major splash. It's almost as if the only deal with Nashville they were willing to consider is one including Weber.

But let me tell you... You want Weber? Hall + is going the other way.

Yep, these aren't the blockbusters we want to see, but they make the team a bit better. It might not even show in the standings this season, but we're filling small holes now, leaving MacT time to fill the big ones at the deadline/draft/summer.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Yep, these aren't the blockbusters we want to see, but they make the team a bit better. It might not even show in the standings this season, but we're filling small holes now, leaving MacT time to fill the big ones at the deadline/draft/summer.

Blockbuster trades rarely happen in-season for a reason... The value just isn't there. No team wants to part with a large part of their roster during the season, even if they're getting a stud in return.

The one thing I notice about this board/community is that these minor deals get absolutely **** on by posters. I don't get that. Contenders aren't built with one, two, three or even four trades. They're built over a few seasons worth of solid trades. These are the trades that actually make up a bigger foundation of your club in the future than the blockbusters do.

I'm excited to see what Scrivens can do, and he's a UFA at the end of the season if it doesn't work out. If it does, then we have one less piece to look for in free agency. Win-win.

What today really shows me though is that MacT isn't afraid to pull the trigger. He's already better for this team than Tambellini.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
tumblr_mz3cg8qi8y1roe08ko3_250.gif

Maybe this stunt punched his ticket out of LA? :sarcasm:

nice, everyone wants to be camera sometime,

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think this is an interesting deal. There are some differences here between Dubnyk and Scrivens despite the fact they are both 27 years old. The biggest difference I see is that with Scrivens there is potential for him to be a #1 golaie. That ship has clearly sailed for Dubnyk.

I say this because Scrivens has, by and large, been the superior goalie at every level prior to playing his first NHL game in late 2011. His journey to the NHL was quite different than Dubnyks but his numbers have been consistently better.

Dubnyk has had pretty pedestrian numbers all along his journey to the NHL.

As for their NHL comparison...Dubyks is clearly an NHL backup. There can be no doubt about that after playing 171 NHL games and being average at best and terrible at worst.

Scrivens on the other hand has played a grand total of 51 NHL games and although he has had very little time to adjust to the best League in the world his numbers are better than Dubnyks.

The only argument that can be made at this point is that the NHL sample size is too small for Scrivens but what all the complied data does suggest is that Scrivens potentially has a higher top end than Dubnyk.

So based on that I think this is a good move with a much higher potential upside than staying with Dubnyk.

I have no problem with giving up a 3rd for Scrivens. Its about time an Oilers GM started taking some risks instead of playing it safe.
The days of stockpiling potential assets and hoping for the best has to be over...time to put together a playoff team. Deals like this dont put the team over the top but they create a momentum of positive change.

Scrivens now has 20+ games to prove his worth so the Oilers get a hometown player who has something to prove.

Good deal for MacT.

rosemount289

Feb 12, 2008
I don't see any.......................???

I do not see any down side to both deals..........the cap is going up next year so we can easily absorb Hendricks salary; Scrivens will be given every chance to be a number one goalie..........plus if it does not work we can let him walk!

And did we not get a third round pick for the Mike Brown deal?

Last edited:

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
How will Scrivens do behind abhorrent defense?

How would anyone? Maybe this is just the beginning. More deals to follow to upgrade the D? Anyone at any management level knows this isn't even a band-aid yet.

thinlizzy

Mar 9, 2013
It may sound redundant but Mac T targeted Hendricks in the off season so he can bring a vet presence, work the PK and be that gritty player that can move up and down the lineup. He's a solid player that was relied upon in Washington.

I agree. DD needed to be moved as the team didn't know what to expect game in and game out. I figure we are chasing at least one free agent goalie in the summer. IB has started to slip so hopefully this will push him to dig in. I agree that Mac T isn't done yet. I figure a deal with SG or AH is in the works.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If we re-sign him, he'll be a very usuable back-up coming into next season. That is, if we actually sign one of the UFA goaltenders this off-season.

Don't want to appear as a dark cloud, but it will cost really big dollars to get an established GOOD goaltender to come to Edmonton if they don't fix the D simultaneously. No keeper is going to sign there if he knows in advance he'll be the only guy left to defend the abandoned fort unless it's his last chance.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
How would anyone? Maybe this is just the beginning. More deals to follow to upgrade the D? Anyone at any management level knows this isn't even a band-aid yet.

Don't want to appear as a dark cloud, but it will cost really big dollars to get an established GOOD goaltender to come to Edmonton if they don't fix the D simultaneously. No keeper is going to sign there if he knows in advance he'll be the only guy left to defend the abandoned fort unless it's his last chance.

:handclap:

Money posts. Defensemen should be the absolute highest priority on MacT's agenda, even to the point where these goalie trades were simply something to get done while he waits for other GMs to get into trade deadline mode.

I think MacT knows there's a big fish waiting to be hooked if a certain team isn't in playoff position by the trade deadline.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
:handclap:

Money posts. Defensemen should be the absolute highest priority on MacT's agenda, even to the point where these goalie trades were simply something to get done while he waits for other GMs to get into trade deadline mode.

I think MacT knows there's a big fish waiting to be hooked if a certain team isn't in playoff position by the trade deadline.

Generally those big fish go to playoff teams because they can afford to give up more in terms of picks/prospects.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Oilers should have traded for Eddie Lack. This guy is going to be the next Cory Schneider...a 6'5 Cory Schneider. Vancouver is a team on the decline but he's shining every chance he gets. He had one year in the AHL that he dominated as well. Guy went under the radar because he came from Sweden and wasn't scouted very heavily. Canucks AHL farm team fans were saying that he has more potential than Cory Schnedier who also dominated the Ahl.

I think it would be smart if they targeted him now before he has 2 or 3 seasons of sub 2.00 GAA and 920+ save% because by then his trade value will be really high.

If Luongo keeps having little buttaches that turn into bigger ones, Lack is going to see a lot of time in Vancouver. Also I think the Canucks will hold on to Lack for another very good reason. Their farm team in Utica doesn't have a replacement any where near as good.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Vancouver is ridiculously lucky. Have a great goalie situation last year, get a sick prospect, replace schieder with a potentially better goalie

I think you may have just stepped over the limits. Schneider's work in NJ is receiving rave reviews and the franchise is confident they have found a more than competent replacement for Brodeur, arguably the best goalie of all time. Taking that under advisement I don't think Mr. Lack has surpassed him in talent just yet.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
If Luongo keeps having little buttaches that turn into bigger ones, Lack is going to see a lot of time in Vancouver. Also I think the Canucks will hold on to Lack for another very good reason. Their farm team in Utica doesn't have a replacement any where near as good.

To further illustrate my point Eriksson, Utica's #1 just got lit up tonight by the Ducks in his first NHL start. He surrendered 6 goals in just a little over 30 minutes. He is not NHL ready. He has talent and will be good. He needs time to adjust to the North American game and hone his skills. Maybe in a couple of years the NHL will hear about him, but not yet.

K19*

As a Leafs fan, there were many nights last season where he looked just as good (if not better in some ways, perhaps worse in others) as Reimer. Plus he seems like a great locker room guy. Plus the Eakins factor.

A 3rd is pretty reasonable for a guy who might really help you here.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Biggest winner in all these trades? Dubnyk.
Maybe not. I was thinking last night about Dubnyk going forward in the NHL. He ends up sucking in NSH his NHL career might be over. But if he would've finished the year here then maybe there is a CHI team out there that thinks he's a real good option and they sign him like they did Bulin.

Really it's up to Dubnyk to step up and be better than he has been this year.
Oilers should have traded for Eddie Lack. This guy is going to be the next Cory Schneider...a 6'5 Cory Schneider. Vancouver is a team on the decline but he's shining every chance he gets. He had one year in the AHL that he dominated as well. Guy went under the radar because he came from Sweden and wasn't scouted very heavily. Canucks AHL farm team fans were saying that he has more potential than Cory Schnedier who also dominated the Ahl.

I think it would be smart if they targeted him now before he has 2 or 3 seasons of sub 2.00 GAA and 920+ save% because by then his trade value will be really high.
There are a lot of guys we should've targeted and whose to say we didn't? But after what happened to Schneider and the asking price from Vancouver there is a good chance that they wouldn't even trade him to us anyway.

Giving up that potential for a UFA goaltender is a lousy use of an asset. And the fact that Mrs Scrivens seems to be disappointed in the move makes it all the more doubtful that he re-signs.
Why even spew this crap? All she said is she is sad to leave her hometown, but excited to come to her husbands hometown and it's now spinning into a Pronger situation.

As a Leafs fan, there were many nights last season where he looked just as good (if not better in some ways, perhaps worse in others) as Reimer. Plus he seems like a great locker room guy. Plus the Eakins factor.

A 3rd is pretty reasonable for a guy who might really help you here.

Pretty much how I'm looking at it. A guy that when dealt for Bernier some said might end up better than Bernier. Gave up a 3rd for a position we are weak at. Really not much risk.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
And the fact that Mrs Scrivens seems to be disappointed in the move makes it all the more doubtful that he re-signs.

The only negative comment was made months ago in jest and it was about weather, not specifically Edmonton. Put the pitchforks away please.

Last edited:

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Maybe not. I was thinking last night about Dubnyk going forward in the NHL. He ends up sucking in NSH his NHL career might be over. But if he would've finished the year here then maybe there is a CHI team out there that thinks he's a real good option and they sign him like they did Bulin.

But in terms of his offseason UFA options, just like Scrivens, he has 6 months to show his quality. If he plays well, or even if it's just inflated stats coming from playing behind Nashville's D, I can see teams just looking purely at the numbers and wanting to sign him, thinking "Man, the crappy Oilers are the reason Dubnyk sucked".

How many Nashville or Phoenix goalies have been great outside those systems?

PJ Kings Hockey

Oct 15, 2013
Ben and Jenny Scrivens are a fun, warm couple with a great and offbeat sense of humor. They quickly fit in well with the Kings players and wives. Ben was the best part of the in-game Kings players funny videos and Jenny jumped right in to help with the Kings' charitable projects. Ben also saved our bacon after Quick went down with his injury. He earned this opportunity with his excellent work.

They weren't here long but Kings fans will miss them. Good luck, Ben!

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Have to be a dissenter on this one.

A 3rd isn't a high cost... but Scrivens isn't a particularly good goalie either from what I've seen of him.

I'd of course rather MacT had found a legit 1A type goalie or at least a solid backup... neither of which I really think Scrivens is at this stage... but I'd love him to prove me very wrong.

Again, a 3rd is not much to ***** about BUT does Scrivens improve the goaltending on this team over Dubnyk? Not really imo and that's how I assess whether a trade is good or not... whether the team will likely be better or not.

Let's see what he can do though of course... first impressions though are that this is another swing and a miss in the goaltending department by MacT.

Oct 15, 2008
Have to be a dissenter on this one.

A 3rd isn't a high cost... but Scrivens isn't a particularly good goalie either from what I've seen of him.

I'd of course rather MacT had found a legit 1A type goalie or at least a solid backup... neither of which I really think Scrivens is at this stage... but I'd love him to prove me very wrong.

Again, a 3rd is not much to ***** about BUT does Scrivens improve the goaltending on this team over Dubnyk? Not really imo and that's how I assess whether a trade is good or not... whether the team will likely be better or not.

Let's see what he can do though of course... first impressions though are that this is another swing and a miss in the goaltending department by MacT.

Likely. Desperate move by a desperate man.

He is finding out that he has very few options.

Nobody of any worth is willing to come here if they have a choice J Schultz notwithstanding. Not easy to build a team that lacks veteran presence under those circumstances.

You are pretty much left with the draft and other team's garbage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad