Confirmed with Link: [EDM/LAK] Oilers acquire Ben Scrivens for 3rd round pick

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To be honest I wasn't that sold on Dubnyk even last season.

I still saw a lot of mental lapses, soft goals, lack of athleticism and overall battle level, and difficulty in tracking what should have been fairly routine shots from the point last season too.

Krueger was just able to hide it better. Dubnyk was just another Ty Conklin ... someone who could look serviceable and good for stretches but had holes in their overall game and mental focus.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
People want trades and change and then ***** when it happens. What are you seriously expecting? Weren't many of us tired of the game to game soft goals?

People want trades that will change the look of this team.

This team won't look any different tomorrow.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Oilers should have traded for Eddie Lack. This guy is going to be the next Cory Schneider...a 6'5 Cory Schneider. Vancouver is a team on the decline but he's shining every chance he gets. He had one year in the AHL that he dominated as well. Guy went under the radar because he came from Sweden and wasn't scouted very heavily. Canucks AHL farm team fans were saying that he has more potential than Cory Schnedier who also dominated the Ahl.

I think it would be smart if they targeted him now before he has 2 or 3 seasons of sub 2.00 GAA and 920+ save% because by then his trade value will be really high.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
People want trades and change and then ***** when it happens. What are you seriously expecting? Weren't many of us tired of the game to game soft goals?

This. We needed a change in net. If you look at it as Dubnyk for Scrivens (who half this board wanted) we win the swap. Then, the other part is Hendricks for a 3rd. What's more use, a 220 hit center who's great on the draw and drops the gloves 10+ times a year, or Cameron Abney, the ECHLer who, despite being only useful as a fighter, fights less than Hendricks, and isn't even a regular in the lineup 2 league below? I'd rather the proven asset at this point. Especially since Hendricks fills a huge need

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Oilers should have traded for Eddie Lack. This guy is going to be the next Cory Schneider...a 6'5 Cory Schneider. Vancouver is a team on the decline but he's shining every chance he gets. He had one year in the AHL that he dominated as well. Guy went under the radar because he came from Sweden and wasn't scouted very heavily. Canucks AHL farm team fans were saying that he has more potential than Cory Schnedier who also dominated the Ahl.

I think it would be smart if they targeted him now before he has 2 or 3 seasons of sub 2.00 GAA and 920+ save% because by then his trade value will be really high.

I guarantee you won't get Lack for less than a 1st right now

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
Hopefully Scivs can play decent in front of the NHL's worst defence.

That being said... solid ****ing acquisition!

Right on MacT! Now you just need to trade Gags and improve our defence!

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Well maybe if we try enough goalies we'll hit pay dirt with one, lol.

You never know I guess, this is about the same age that Kipprusoff, Hasek, and other career back ups (Tim Thomas) broke out.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
It does change the team. Maybe Hendricks comes in and hits everything he sees and is a responsible defensive player, the team might be more confident without dubnyk letting in weak goal or worrying about it. They are small changes but you can't just sell the farm, our bottom 6 wasn't something to brag about anyways, and dubnyk wore out his welcome

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
People want trades that will change the look of this team.

This team won't look any different tomorrow.

95% of trades are these ones. There's been exactly one of significance this year and that was the Vanek deal. It changed the look of the Islanders and they went into a major tailspin afterward.

MCDAVIDISH

Jul 18, 2011
Edmonton
Hopefully Scivs can play decent in front of the NHL's worst defence.

That being said... solid ****ing acquisition!

Right on MacT! Now you just need to trade Gags and improve our defence!

Yes the trade was a very good move, one in many made by MacT since his arrival. A good general manager goes a long way and it looks like that is just what this team has needed to move forward. As a fan I am excited to see the team continue to improve through trades and signings. I would also point out that large trades are hard to come by at this point especially the sort that will be looked at in regards to improving our defense in the coming year. I was skeptical of this group running the team but it finally looks like a good direction is at hand.

n7

Oct 15, 2011
Edmonton
I'm okay with this!

Not really a longterm goaltending fix though is it?
We still likely need a #1, but i guess we can see how Scrivens does for the rest of this season and go from there.

Man i pray MacT can get some defensemen though...we can switch around a lot of players, but without massively better D, this team will still have huge issues.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Low risk move, Scrivens isn't a proven #1, but all it costed was a 3rd round pick. And given our track record with 3rd rounders, it doesn't hurt us much.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
Low risk move, Scrivens isn't a proven #1, but all it costed was a 3rd round pick. And given our track record with 3rd rounders, it doesn't hurt us much.

Exactly. I don't see how anyone can be upset about giving up a 3rd for Scrivens...

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
I like this trade.
With the Dubnyk and Scrivens trade, guess we will find out if it is the goalie or the system that is the problem.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
To be honest I wasn't that sold on Dubnyk even last season.

I still saw a lot of mental lapses, soft goals, lack of athleticism and overall battle level, and difficulty in tracking what should have been fairly routine shots from the point last season too.

Krueger was just able to hide it better. Dubnyk was just another Ty Conklin ... someone who could look serviceable and good for stretches but had holes in their overall game and mental focus.

This. Heard another good comparison with dub and Garon.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
There was always uncertainty with Dube. Even with a .920% SV last season, he always seemed to allow a soft goal every game which would kill the vibe for the players... Now that hes gone, I'm a bit sad because he was actually drafted by us..

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Dubnyk easily cost us 10 wins this year on his own. B/c of his poor play at the beginning of the season he deflated the team to a point where they could never recover. I completely blame him for costing the Oilers any shot at attempting to make the playoffs this year. I'm not saying that the rest of the team is good or great or not at fault, but the majority of the issues early were caused by him.

My friend texted me saying you traded Dubnyk for...I cut him off right there and said I don't care if he was sent away for a bag of pucks, the team just got better. End of story!

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Exactly. I don't see how anyone can be upset about giving up a 3rd for Scrivens...

Jujhar Khaira is a 3rd round pick.

Giving up that potential for a UFA goaltender is a lousy use of an asset. And the fact that Mrs Scrivens seems to be disappointed in the move makes it all the more doubtful that he re-signs.

Sloth Slothersons*

We should honestly just trade all of our picks outside of the 1st round for players.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Everyone loves a trainwreck.

Not saying i agree with them, the trades today were a lateral move at best.

But Oilers are a good talking piece, you have a team with a great history, an active fanbase, and one of the worst hockey people on the planet running it. Then add in the 3 1st overalls, the fact the team is spending to the cap, and the constant felating the team got the past 2-3 years (one piece away, they will be playoff contenders this year, Schultz should be on team Canada etc.) and you basically have a recipe for lots of talk and discussion.

I look forward to the Next oilers related poll whree you will make the options lopsided.

Go back to CP. you aren't fooling anyone

Sloth Slothersons*

Jujhar Khaira is a 3rd round pick.

Giving up that potential for a UFA goaltender is a lousy use of an asset. And the fact that Mrs Scrivens seems to be disappointed in the move makes it all the more doubtful that he re-signs.

Potential. Potentially Scrivens could be the best goalie in the world! Who the **** would be happy to come to Edmonton, especially a guy coming from LA?

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad