PTO: [EDM] F Jake Virtanen signs PTO with the Oilers (released)

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
As far as the Flames knew there was nothing "suspect" at all about Peters. The Canes kept quiet about him when Calgary expressed interest in him. Also, there is nothing "suspect" about Virtanen. If I had a daughter I wouldn't let him get within 100 yds of her. He won his court case but all that proves is that the prosecutor was unable to prove that he was guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. Sexual assault charges are notoriously difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt.
I mean, if it makes you feel better, then sure. Peter's transgressions that got him fired were BEFORE he was a coach in Carolina.

So are you suggesting that Calgary, needed a southern, non-traditional team to do their background checks on a coach? C'mon if you think the "canes kept quiet and Calgary didn't know any better", then I've got some property in Ft. Myers to sell you.

I 100% agree with you on Virtanen. My point is that NHL teams ignore a lot of this stuff if a guy can play. Anyone Acting like their team is more virtuous when it comes to this stuff is silly.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
its too bad and he only has himself to blame. He has the tools and the frame to be a very good NHL player but he just lacks the motivation and disciplined to be that player. Hopefully he saved some of his money he made in the NHL because he may need to start a new career path. It's going to be very tough for him to get another shot.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Its 95% likely he is part of an Abbotsford based real estate team next. Perfect industry for guys like him.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Oiler fans said that Virtanen's passing wasn't bad.

Was it more lack of speed the issue for his PTO release/not NHL calibre play? Or bigger combinations of low IQ plays and lack of compete? I'm just trying to objectively understand the reason he's no longer NHL calibre.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Oiler fans said that Virtanen's passing wasn't bad.

Was it more lack of speed the issue for his PTO release/not NHL calibre play? Or bigger combinations of low IQ plays and lack of compete? I'm just trying to objectively understand the reason he's no longer NHL calibre.
He didn’t outplay anyone enough to really make an impression.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
He didn’t outplay anyone enough to really make an impression.

My guess is that he was either trying to outdo Foegele at 4RW or was a potential 4RW in case JP was moved for another position?

2 way deal doesn't make sense either because XB would be the next in line for a role at RW?

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
its too bad and he only has himself to blame. He has the tools and the frame to be a very good NHL player but he just lacks the motivation and disciplined to be that player. Hopefully he saved some of his money he made in the NHL because he may need to start a new career path. It's going to be very tough for him to get another shot.
You do know there are other pro hockey leagues in the world, right? Sure, he won't make NHL money but if he wants to continue to play hockey I'm pretty sure him and his agent can make that happen.

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
My guess is that he was either trying to outdo Foegele at 4RW or was a potential 4RW in case JP was moved for another position?

2 way deal doesn't make sense either because XB would be the next in line for a role at RW?

1st of all - who is he displacing?

And second.. Holloway is making the team and that means Janmark or Shore or Foegele or Ryan or Benson get waived.

Third.... Woodcroft likes to play 11 forwards and 1 will be a spare.

I don't see why Virtanen would be signed unless he vastly outplayed 3 forwards. Holloway ate his lunch.

XB isn't sniffing the team this season. Too many forwards above him. Benson is the next prospect in line and now needs waivers.

1665123786559.png

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
1st of all - who is he displacing?

And second.. Holloway is making the team and that means Janmark or Shore or Foegele or Ryan or Benson get waived.

Third.... Woodcroft likes to play 11 forwards and 1 will be a spare.

I don't see why Virtanen would be signed unless he vastly outplayed 3 forwards. Holloway ate his lunch.

XB isn't sniffing the team this season. Too many forwards above him. Benson is the next prospect in line and now needs waivers.

View attachment 591376

That's what I mean. What was the point of the long PTO? What was Holland attempting to do or what was he looking for by looking at Virtanen?

It just really didn't seem like a basic show case or veteran requirement for preseason. Holland must have been planning some form of a forward/RW to defenseman move that didn't transpire?

Something idea wise like... JP for Soucy? And/or Foegele for non roster player with upside for cap purposes then back fill with Virtanen? But like you said, there was a long list of guys that could fill those roles internally.

Not trying to bash. I'm just genuinely curious about the mechanics behind the scenes that led to the way the Virtanen thing played out.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
That's what I mean. What was the point of the long PTO? What was Holland attempting to do or what was he looking for by looking at Virtanen?

It just really didn't seem like a basic show case or veteran requirement for preseason. Holland must have been planning some form of a forward/RW to defenseman move that didn't transpire?

Something idea wise like... JP for Soucy? And/or Foegele for non roster player with upside for cap purposes then back fill with Virtanen? But like you said, there was a long list of guys that could fill those roles internally.

Not trying to bash. I'm just genuinely curious about the mechanics behind the scenes that led to the way the Virtanen thing played out.

I think Holland just tried to give him as much of an opportunity as possible. Whatever you think of Holland, he does have a good reputation with players and agents.

As far as why he brought him in. He probably wasn’t sure if Holloway among others was ready. I also wouldn’t be surprised if there were/are potential trades in the mix. He probably also thought that Virtanen might show more than he did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012

It’s no secret that Holland needs to clear cap, he likely strung Virtanen around as a potential cheap 4th liner if he had a decent showing at camp.

Reactions: Fig

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark
    Wagers: 2