Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Yamamoto and Kostin for Future Considerations

OilerFanInLangley

Oct 2, 2023
If moving Nurse is such an unreasonable, absurd suggestion ... all that shows is how brutal the contract is and how Holland has failed the club. It's as simple as that. The fact it is universally known as the worst contract in the entire NHL should stop anyone here from being comfortable with this old codger continuing to helm this org.
The Oilers almost never have elite d-men: we rarely acquire them through trades (having Pronger for a while was fun), and we haven't developed any since the '80s.

It's kind of exciting to see Nurse and Bouchard maybe becoming something special, and with Nurse at 28, coming into his prime, it doesn't seem like a smart move to trade him.

Pretty much all of the cup winners of the last 40 years had an elite d-man so the Oilers can't afford to back-slide at all at D if they wanna consider themselves a legit contender.

I'm not saying Nurse is elite like Pronger, but Ekholm isn't either, so we seem to need to do this by committee.

Nurse plays against the best competition with a good +/-, he's tough, he can chip in with some goals, etc.

I know that +/- isn't a popular stat, but he's top 20 in the league and he isn't one of the guys who got there with cherry-picked minutes, with an elite partner, against weak opposition, etc. He earned every bit of that himself.

Speaking of winning the Cup, Kostin was the exact type of 3rd/4th line player that you need to win in the playoffs, and his offensive instincts were developing quite nicely here. I really hate that he's gone. I don't see a replacement on the roster, either.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
I hate how Yamamoto looked like a whole new player last night.

Having said that, it's preseason. Meaningless.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I mean Yamo looked good for us in the regular season last year at times as well, so it shouldn't exactly be shocking if he does well in pre-season or even regular season in Seattle. A team that has gotten a lot out of their depth guys.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I can’t see how, given his style of play, Yamo can avoid more concussions. His game depends on him getting to the inside and he continues take head shots
It's how you become a first round pick at 5'7"

Players work hard at not just taking headshots.

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
It's how you become a first round pick at 5'7"

Players work hard at not just taking headshots.
People always underestimate the significance of luck. Yamo may just have been unlucky with his head injuries, and will go supernova this season for Seattle.

Also: Nice to be back, that was quite a whopper for a ban.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007

Wait till he gagners the Oilers Chicago style!

If Yamo is healthy he'll be a 20/20 guy for Seattle. His main problem is his size makes him completely useless come playoff time.
Probably not. More like a 20-30 point player. He does not have the top end skill to produce 2nd line offensive numbers, which has to if he's to be any value to a contender. That said, he'll probably have a decent NHL career playing for weaker teams.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Remember that one year him Rattie and JP all lit it up and then all crapped the bed in the real season? Good times.
Yeah, they inherited Gagner-Cogliano-Nilsson throne. That generation of superstars. lol.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I hope he finds himself in Seattle. If he does, it hurt a bit, but it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things. He wasn't working out here. Getting moved as a dump and bought out is probably pretty good incentive to look at what he needed to improve, he may not have ever bounced back without that type of kick in the arse.

Yamo who? Kostin who?
I mean, Adam Erne has looked just as good, and he's probably getting released from his PTO, or signed to a 2 way deal and waived to be sent down.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
he suffers from Eberle syndrome. I still believe that Eberle gets a few goals in the playoffs he would still be an oilers--but getting goose eggs--the lynch mob was forming and everyone knew it
Eberle only had one playoff with us. Yamamoto has had 4 with us and in all of those years he was the weak link in the top 6. Not just goal scoring but getting bullied and losing battles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad