Confirmed with Link: [EDM/DET] Yamamoto and Kostin for Future Considerations

duul

Jun 21, 2010
This year we paid Kostin to dump Yamamoto and replaced him with a much better player at league minimum. His cap hit has zero impact on the team this year, and I find it absolutely hilarious how hard some of you are railing against the move because of what it might mean 2 seasons later. But you do you. Keep crying about the season after next like the one coming up doesn’t matter.

A move for a big time goalie isn’t at all realistic, and if that’s what you would prefer then you can’t complain about addressing one hole when there are multiple, because the team would most certainly have to blow all of its assets to dump Campbell and try to acquire one of Hellebuyck or Saros, leaving nothing to address the defense at the deadline, and it seems highly likely that the defense will get another deadline addition this coming season, which means they will have upgraded the top six, half of which were absent last playoffs, as well as the defense, instead of going all in for a goalie and leaving the forwards and defense as is.

I also think it’s silly to think the current bottom six is now off limits for additions or in some way a massive glaring weakness because deadline rental Bjugstad is gone with Kostin. Kostin is not making or breaking this team regardless of what we all may think of him, but replacing Yams with Brown is likely to be just as, if not more impactful, than acquiring Kostin was last season.
Kostin and Bjugstad scored essentially all of our bottom 6 goals in the playoffs and neither of them are on our team this year. You realize that?

No, the play is not to go out and get Hellebucyk or Saros. It's to improve out defence because it's still terrible. It's to spend every asset we have to move on from Nurse going into next offseason.

We're at the point where we need to re-tool. Move out a significant guy in Nurse, spend all of our assets to get rid of him and Campbell, and try this again. Fill out the roster with better middle and bottom 6 guys, better defence. I am convinced better defence will fix our problems in goal. Skinner is signed for a decent price, bring in a cheap backup after getting rid of Campbell and improve the D. That's what should be done.

• Haha
Reactions: TB12

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Kostin and Bjugstad scored essentially all of our bottom 6 goals in the playoffs and neither of them are on our team this year. You realize that?

No, the play is not to go out and get Hellebucyk or Saros. It's to improve out defence because it's still terrible. It's to spend every asset we have to move on from Nurse going into next offseason.

We're at the point where we need to re-tool. Move out a significant guy in Nurse, spend all of our assets to get rid of him and Campbell, and try this again. Fill out the roster with better middle and bottom 6 guys, better defence. I am convinced better defence will fix our problems in goal. Skinner is signed for a decent price, bring in a cheap backup after getting rid of Campbell and improve the D. That's what should be done.
The fact that you think moving Nurse is at all realistic tells me all I need to know. Your solution is to make completely unrealistic moves.

Good day, sir.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
It won't happen but that doesn't mean it couldn't. If the option presented itself I think you do it.
Sure. But when you’re criticizing recent moves because you think the right move is one that is probably the most unrealistic, then what’s really being said here?

Is the team better attaching a ton of assets to Nurse to move him for….who exactly? Having him and Ekholm on the left side is what constitutes actual depth. You move Kulak and his 2.75 bottom pairing salary and long before you move Nurse and bump Ekholm to the first pair and Kulak to the second pair.

Nurse
Ekholm
Broberg

looks much stronger to me than

Ekholm
Kulak
Broberg

But saying Nurse could get traded, who comes in? Even if Nurse is only overpaid by a couple of million, there’s still 7 years left at 9.25. So who is coming back this way to take all of the important minutes Nurse takes, and since it’s likely to be an impact player, what assets are being added to Nurse to make the likely lateral move, because I think it extremely unlikely they’ll find a stud #1 defenseman with any term coming back. Is it really smart to dump a bunch of assets to acquire a couple million in capspace at the expense of your top pairing while making a lateral move at best?

Seems like it makes much more sense to dump salary in guys like Foegele, Ceci and Kulak to find a defensive upgrade, no? Trading Nurse means you need a Nurse replacement, otherwise you’re just bumping the rest of the d corps up a slot and we know that isn’t wise.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Sure. But when you’re criticizing recent moves because you think the right move is one that is probably the most unrealistic, then what’s really being said here?

Is the team better attaching a ton of assets to Nurse to move him for….who exactly? Having him and Ekholm on the left side is what constitutes actual depth. You move Kulak and his 2.75 bottom pairing salary and long before you move Nurse and bump Ekholm to the first pair and Kulak to the second pair.

Nurse
Ekholm
Broberg

looks much stronger to me than

Ekholm
Kulak
Broberg

But saying Nurse could get traded, who comes in? Even if Nurse is only overpaid by a couple of million, there’s still 7 years left at 9.25. So who is coming back this way to take all of the important minutes Nurse takes, and since it’s likely to be an impact player, what assets are being added to Nurse to make the likely lateral move, because I think it extremely unlikely they’ll find a stud #1 defenseman with any term coming back. Is it really smart to dump a bunch of assets to acquire a couple million in capspace at the expense of your top pairing while making a lateral move at best?

Seems like it makes much more sense to dump salary in guys like Foegele, Ceci and Kulak to find a defensive upgrade, no? Trading Nurse means you need a Nurse replacement, otherwise you’re just bumping the rest of the d corps up a slot and we know that isn’t wise.
Ideally you ditch his entire salary and fill it with something else. Who that is, I don't know, only Holland knows who is available. But this contract is a major problem that squeezes our cap space. Surely there's a team out there that would take him at full value. There's lots of talk about a Karlsson trade and that has extreme anchor potential written all over it.

If you can't ditch Nurse then find him a better partner because he and Ceci are an absolute trainwreck together.

One thing I will say is at this juncture no picks or prospects should be off the table.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Ideally you ditch his entire salary and fill it with something else. Who that is, I don't know, only Holland knows who is available. But this contract is a major problem that squeezes our cap space. Surely there's a team out there that would take him at full value. There's lots of talk about a Karlsson trade and that has extreme anchor potential written all over it.

If you can't ditch Nurse then find him a better partner because he and Ceci are an absolute trainwreck together.

One thing I will say is at this juncture no picks or prospects should be off the table.
Finding nurse a better partner seems like the much wiser, and completely realistic solution. We can say dump nurse and his full salary because there must be someone out there, but that’s not exactly constructive discussion. It’s blind fantasy.

I agree, picks and prospects should all be on the table. But adding all of the most valuable ones to dump Nurse or Campbell, or both like duul suggests, is hardly a smart or realistic approach at all.

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Finding nurse a better partner seems like the much wiser, and completely realistic solution. We can say dump nurse and his full salary because there must be someone out there, but that’s not exactly constructive discussion. It’s blind fantasy.

I agree, picks and prospects should all be on the table. But adding all of the most valuable ones to dump Nurse or Campbell, or both like duul suggests, is hardly a smart or realistic approach at all.
Nurse's best partner was probably Ethan Bear, but... well, y'know.

Nurse is getting paid like a man who should be able to elevate his defense partner. And it's not like his contract is going to age well. I'm not saying you have to trade him but if you can get out of that contract within reason you at least explore it.

As for Campbell he gets one more year to prove himself, and if he doesn't you absolutely move heaven and earth to get rid of him.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Finding Nurse, Ekholm, etc better coaching staff could be another direction. Its almost amazing to me that they were even screwing up Ekholms play at end of season and playoffs. His best play here was fresh off being a Pred and continuing to play here as he would do in Nashville. Indeed its troubling to note that most of our D have seen their best play with other coaching. The ONLY one that has improved under Woody/Manson is Bouchard. Thats a bit perplexing.

Doesn't matter what D we find if they're tied to idiot schemes.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Finding Nurse, Ekholm, etc better coaching staff could be another direction. Its almost amazing to me that they were even screwing up Ekholms play at end of season and playoffs. His best play here was fresh off being a Pred and continuing to play here as he would do in Nashville. Indeed its troubling to note that most of our D have seen their best play with other coaching. The ONLY one that has improved under Woody/Manson is Bouchard. Thats a bit perplexing.

Won’t argue with you there. I’m not overly upset with Woodcroft & Co. But there were definitely questionable decisions and I understand where you’re coming from.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

KeithIsActuallyBad

Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

A better coaching staff isn't going to fix Nurse's consistent brain cramps.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
A better coaching staff isn't going to fix Nurse's consistent brain cramps.
maybe it would fix the coaching staffs consistent brain cramps. One can hope.

Still awaiting some answers on curious player deployment in playoffs. It didn't come on elimination, or on exit speeches or ever since. If your name is any of Broberg, Holloway, Campbell, Bourgault, Nemo you're wondering if you're even part of the orgs plans. If you're Kostin or Bjugstad you know there wasn't a lot of payoff here to bust your butt for the club.

Meanwhile if you make meager contributions like Foegele you know your usage is consistent for some not understood reason.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

duul

Jun 21, 2010
If moving Nurse is such an unreasonable, absurd suggestion ... all that shows is how brutal the contract is and how Holland has failed the club. It's as simple as that. The fact it is universally known as the worst contract in the entire NHL should stop anyone here from being comfortable with this old codger continuing to helm this org.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
If moving Nurse is such an unreasonable, absurd suggestion ... all that shows is how brutal the contract is and how Holland has failed the club. It's as simple as that. The fact it is universally known as the worst contract in the entire NHL should stop anyone here from being comfortable with this old codger continuing to helm this org.
I’d say Huberdeau is worse off the top of my head.

Reactions: Duke74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad