Confirmed Signing with Link: [EDM] Darnell Nurse signs extension with the Oilers (8 years, $9.25M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
McDavid pricing his own team out of a cup by making lesser players look better
I don't see how he's pricing his team out of anything. Who else is getting inflated?

They'll have $12m off the books in two seasons with Broberg, Samorukov, Holloway and Lavoie pushing for bigger roles. Bouchard is being sheltered to boot, so his second contract probably isn't horrible.

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Compare it to the contract he signed coming off ELC that took him through his prime. Clearly one is more discounted than another and one will be much better value than another. Why is that if there's no difference between RFA and UFA?
Come on, man. You're comparing a deal he signed years ago to now?

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
You’re completely missing the point as an Oilers homer, but ok

No, your point is that Nurse's contract somehow stops the Oilers from being able to get the depth to win cups, even though the last 3 teams had healthy scratch level players making 5-6 million dollars. But somehow overpaying a 1D (for his team) who is far and away the best defenseman the Oilers have and could possibly have for the rest of McDavid and Drasaitl's contracts is much much worse.

So, just to reiterate

Colorado with Erik Johnson and JT Compher making 9.5 million being better off the ice than on - universally considered contenders
NYI with Ladd, Hickey, Komarov making over 10 million while bringing the combined value of a 4th liner - 2 back to back conference finals, arguably second best team of the last 2 years.
Tampa with Tyler Johnson - back to back cups
Montreal with Drouin, Tatar and Alzner making 15 million not to play, not to mention Price, Anderson, and Weber being overpaid for what they bring at this point - cup finals this season
Dallas with Seguin making 10 million while barely able to skate - cup finals
Blues with Alex Steen - cup
Bruins with David Backes - game 7 of cup finals
Washington with Brooks Orpik making 5.5 million - cup

Oilers with their #1D maybe overpaid by a couple million - can't win a cup with that kind of contract. But hey, if they make him a healthy scratch they'd have the same amount of useless cap space as Colorado this season! Cleary that's the key.

So yeah, I get your point. It's a really dumb point completely divorced from the real world and disproven by virtually every single team that has won or contended for a cup over the last however many year, but I get it.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Keith's prime coundn't dream of having the drive, intensity and bite Nurse does, Nurse is a bull with skill and keith is the China shop lol

Keith won 3 Stanley Cups, 2 Norris Trophies, and a Conn Smythe in his prime. He signed for 9.75% of the cap a year after winning his 1st cup contributing over 28 mins TOI and 17pts in 22 games during that run.

Nurse just signed for 11.35% of the cap a year after winning.. well not winning anything really.

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
Come on, man. You're comparing a deal he signed years ago to now?

Why is one much better value than the other? He could've been resigned to the same deal since UFA vs RFA doesn't give him any leverage in negotiating that a GM has to account for, right? He'd be making the same but for the twilight of his career as opposed to his prime, hardly seems unfair doesn't it?

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Completely agree. I don't think Nurse is worth 9.25, 8 million would have been more ideal but not realistic based on recent signings and to get him to commit 8 years to Edmonton. I really could care less what the completely dependent on analytics crowd thinks about any player. I almost never agree with their ideas on any players. There are so many factors that affect a players performance. They can think what they want but anyone that thinks Matt Pelech is better then Nurse is out to lunch. I also think paying any 20 point defensive d-man playing on a great defensive team almost 6 million a season for 8 years is beyond terrible.

I think Pelech’s contract is an excellent contract.

I too think Nurse’s contract is an over payment but an over payment that the Oilers have to make to get the player to commit to playing in Edmonton. It’s our reality.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I don't blame Holland on this one, I blame Daryl Katz. Lowkey is one of the worst owners in the NHL.

We'd be saying Chiarelli, but I think it's really Daryl Katz who runs everything within the Oilers that isn't appreciated.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Prior to this season was Nurse considered a #1 by anybody? He needs to prove it over a full season in a real league.
I don't disagree. No one would have called him a #1dman last year.
Thats the risk in this contract.

But if he can repeat his performance from last year that should cement his status as a solid #1dman who is likely worth this contract, or at least very close to it.

Considering he is a top 10 pick, who has improved every season of his career, is only 26 and finally got the chance to play in a #1 role this past season due to Klefbom's absence- I see his play this year as an understandable natural progression of his growth rather than a fluke.
But you're right he needs to prove it again this year, under standard conditions/divisions.

Reactions: KingKhron

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
How much would McDavid’s pad cost in NY? California?

I think the tax thing gets blown out of proportion.

I’ve lived in Calgary and Houston, I had about the same amount of money left over at the end of the month in both places.

Don’t believe the hype about “No State Tax”!! Trust me they get you one way or another.

I pay $2800/month in property tax. It’s ugly!!

Texas property taxes are crazy but I would rather pay an additional $50-75K in property taxes annually and pocket (in Nurse’s case) the $1.5m in reduced income taxes.

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I don't blame Holland on this one, I blame Daryl Katz. Lowkey is one of the worst owners in the NHL.

We'd be saying Chiarelli, but I think it's really Daryl Katz who runs everything within the Oilers that isn't appreciated.
Katz is more like a child hood owner assembling a team of guys he watched growing up, no real hockey sense just big names

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Of course... its always good planning to operate over the cap in the red and count on that LTIR cushion. Hopefully Edmonton doesn't have any injuries or have to pay any bonuses.
What do you think Yamo will get? $2M? $2.5M?
All I'm saying is that the team doesn't have much of a cushion, and it won't get any better next year with this latest signing, which usually is not good for any team or GM and Holland has put the team back into cap hell with no room to maneuver.

You can disagree all you want and say everything is going according to plan but most won't believe you.

$2m Yamamoto.

won’t defend Holland.

over paying to keep the likes of Nurse, I don’t like but I can understand.

overpaying replacement type players I have an issue with.

Reactions: Mr Positive

JustAnotherHockeyFan

Jul 28, 2021
Still not a single person saying what they would have done instead, except "wait til next year on the off chance Nurse sucks and try to lowball him". Which is a different way of saying let him walk.

So, you're the GM of the Edmonton Oilers, the team battling it out with Winnipeg and Columbus for hardest place to get impact free agents and one of the top teams to go on everyone's NTC (something almost all impact players tend to have now). You decide to heroically lose Nurse rather than overpaying him. McDavid and Drasaitl have 4 and 3 years left at their contracts, and both get more than a little peeved because he's both their BFF and the guy holding the defense together. Your defense is now anchored by Duncan Keith and a bunch of players graduated from lower leagues who'd all be rookies. At defense. What do you do?

Last edited:
Reactions: KingKhron
Sep 18, 2009
Still not a single person saying what they would have done at this point in time instead, except "wait til next year on the off chance he sucks and try to lowball him". Which is a different way of saying let him walk.

So, you're the GM of the Edmonton Oilers, the team battling it out for Winnipeg and Columbus for hardest place to get impact free agents. You decide to heroically lose Nurse rather than overpaying him. McDavid and Drasaitl have 4 and 3 years left at their contracts, and both get more than a little peeved because he's both their BFF and the guy holding the defense together. What do you do?

"i WoUlDnT bE iN tHiS pOsItIoN CuZ iM sMaRt DuRr" is not an acceptable answer
?

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
That seems like a lot but I didn't realize Nurse had such a good season.

If he is actually a 50+ point/year d-man playing top pair minutes then it's still bad but maybe not that bad.

I think everyone knows it really depends on how much he is out with MacDavid and Draisaitl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad