Confirmed with Link: [EDM/ANA] Viktor Fasth to Edmonton for a 5th in 2014 and 3rd in 2015.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Did you even watch Dubnyk? His regression was clear as day

As long as you're sure. I see him as much like Mathieu Garon, it LOOKS like there's alot there, but there are flaws and inconsistencies that exist in the player's game that keep them from succeeding.

The other larger point you're missing is that Dubnyk isn't a "young guy" the team is quitting on. He's been in this organization for a VERY long time, they know what they had (or didn't have) in Dubnyk.

Also, this isn't a Bobrovsky case, where the player could play, but the organization gave up on him, this is more the relationship and the future with the organization ran its course.

If you Need to blame Chabot, then do so, but Dubnyk isn't good enough to start, nothing changes that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Well they haven't fired that entire inept crew yet... so we'll have to wait and see.

I guess there is a danger that sparkling 29th place record won't hold up with an entire new group in place... but I'm willing to take that chance.

Well if anything, really, they should fire Everyone related to the franchise who doesn't own it. I'm talking everyone. Hire all brand new people for all the jobs, I'm sure that can only mean good things. It's the only way to purge the disease, cut off the body and attach a new one.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Well if anything, really, they should fire Everyone related to the franchise who doesn't own it. I'm talking everyone. Hire all brand new people for all the jobs, I'm sure that can only mean good things. It's the only way to purge the disease, cut off the body and attach a new one.

I completely agree with all that as well. I just can't see Lowe/MacT/Howson and the rest of management plus all the scouts getting the axe all at once.

It's definitely needed though.

A clean start and a reboot for the franchise which would get rid of the "old boys network" stigma as well.

The team would likely still be crap for at least the short term but that putrid smell of entitlement would be gone with a new group of impartial minds in charge of the organization.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I completely agree with all that as well. I just can't see Lowe/MacT/Howson and the rest of management plus all the scouts getting the axe all at once.

It's definitely needed though.

A clean start and a reboot for the franchise which would get rid of the "old boys network" stigma as well.

The team would likely still be crap for at least the short term but that putrid smell of entitlement would be gone with a new group of impartial minds in charge of the organization.

You Assume.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Potter is a tweener from lack of skill. Dubnyk didn't suck because of a lack of skill. He sucked because he developed a LOT of bad habits under Chabot. Our goalie coach made him WORSE. That is grounds for firing

Dubnyk was never going to be a starter because Dubnyk simply doesn't have the head to be a starter.

His technical skills definitely improved from the point that we first saw him, and for the most part he was a better goalie than when we first saw him. Problem with him is is compete level, and his ability to focus for 60 minutes. Even in his "crown jewel" season last year, he was still allowing terrible goals at awful times. His skills were ok, but when you can't focus for 60 mins you aren't going to be a starter in this league. No goalie coach can change that.

AVE MAN

Sep 29, 2003
Visit site
Dubnyk was never going to be a starter because Dubnyk simply doesn't have the head to be a starter.

His technical skills definitely improved from the point that we first saw him, and for the most part he was a better goalie than when we first saw him. Problem with him is is compete level, and his ability to focus for 60 minutes. Even in his "crown jewel" season last year, he was still allowing terrible goals at awful times. His skills were ok, but when you can't focus for 60 mins you aren't going to be a starter in this league. No goalie coach can change that.

Good post. Totally agree.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced
Did you even watch Dubnyk? His regression was clear as day

I'm done defending Dubnyk, but his save percentage increased every year from his rookie year ... until this one.

He had a monumentally bad season. He regressed this season, but the way you stated it is incredibly misleading.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007

I think its funny that in his "Crown Jewel" season he had to be bailed out by Khabibulin for 10 games because he was sucking so bad. Duybnyk never was going to be a good goalie and was only here for the tank. Still dont understand how he got a two year 3.5M deal.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I'm done defending Dubnyk, but his save percentage increased every year from his rookie year ... until this one.

He had a monumentally bad season. He regressed this season, but the way you stated it is incredibly misleading.

Stats can be misleading, he may have gotten better but he was never as good as his stats said he was.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006

For every 30+ save effort, the lone goal, or goals, that he let in were generally of the weak variety.

He could have 13 saves on 14 shots and have a ~0.930 statline but that 1 goal...yeah its from the blue line:laugh:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This Fasth trade is like the Perron trade.

MacT is getting good at targeting these cap-strapped teams for their quality spare parts. Anaheim was clearing out space for a move that never happened. I bet they would take back the trade if they could. They did not get fair value.

Towmater14

Sep 17, 2005
OIL COUNTRY
Dubnyk was never a great goalie. He always let in weak backbreaking goals even when his save percentage was better. The team has zero confidence in him.
I am extremely happy to be rid of that crap and have some capable starters in net.
Mac T knew that he was garbage as well. Why else would he have tried to go after so many goalies in the off season?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
This Fasth trade is like the Perron trade.

MacT is getting good at targeting these cap-strapped teams for their quality spare parts. Anaheim was clearing out space for a move that never happened. I bet they would take back the trade if they could. They did not get fair value.

I'm not a huge MacT fanboy but when the Perron trade was made I said at the time it was an out and out steal and I give him full credit for that trade.

If Fasth rebounds and plays near what he did in his 1st year with the Ducks this has the potential to be as big of a steal (if not bigger). I'm willing to give MacT the benefit of the doubt here as well and say this was a solid pickup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad