Confirmed with Link: [EDM/ANA] Viktor Fasth to Edmonton for a 5th in 2014 and 3rd in 2015.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I'd rather have these guys at a reasonable price than doing the Khabibulin 2.0 thing. I don't want a "has been" number one goaltender at 5M-6M a year - who might be good for us but might equally put us into cap hell for years on end without producing a solid benefit. Cam Ward would be the epitome of what I'm talking about.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I'd rather have these guys at a reasonable price than doing the Khabibulin 2.0 thing. I don't want a "has been" number one goaltender at 5M-6M a year - who might be good for us but might equally put us into cap hell for years on end without producing a solid benefit. Cam Ward would be the epitome of what I'm talking about.

Sadly, those are the only two realistic options with this franchise, aren't they? Overpay a has-been or run with two unknowns.

I'd like to some day know what its like to cheer for a team that could draft and develop a no. 1. Or trade for one. Or really, do that with ANY position (outside of a first overall pick). Its been so long I dont remember what its like.

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
I just think goalies are a crap shoot. You never quite know what you're going to get from one season to another, even with veterans. There are of course some exceptions - but those are few and far between. And even with the great ones you have to take into account injuries. I just think it's better to find those cheap gems.

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
you people get that if Fasth comes in and gets injured or just plays poorly the last 20 games mact can still make more moves over the summer right...

perfect time to take on this guy, high ceiling, low risk, plus scrivens is already in place... if he wanted he could even sign another fasth like guy over the summer...

Last edited:

GDU

Dec 19, 2008
Bryz is a proven starter in the NHL.

Fasth is not a starter in the NHL.

Scrivens is not a starter in the NHL.

Whether either of the last two are remains to be seen and I like Scrivens saying that.

With Fasth I really attribute his short run of success to the team he was playing behind. With every goalie there appearing to do very well, and actually better than Fasth.

Bryz played himself out of the nhl last year, he is so proven that literally no team would sign him to start the year, that's how proven he is...

Fasth literally played himself into the nhl and has put up gaudy numbers at every league he has been in...

let me guess though, Bryz just looks better right

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
What were the UFA options this summer? Either pay Hiller 6+mil or Halak 3.5+mil with no guarantee that they'd sign in Edmonton. At least we now have to goalies that are capable of playing 40ish games each and a season to decide if either of these guys are NHL starters.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Edmonton and Anaheim have a good trade relationship, which is great since we make good trade partners with them.

Here's hoping that Koivu retires alongside Selanne this year. They'd be out two smaller, skilled players. We have (at least) one excess small, skilled player. They have a lot of good defencemen. See where I'm going with this?

Clutch Canadian4

Sep 10, 2013
Edmonton, AB
Being realistic, it's not a bad trade. One mid round and one late round pick for a goalie who proved last year that he can play. Fasth isn't any worse than Bryz is he? At 2.9 for 1 more year isn't like it's restraining (Luongo :laugh:) or anything. I mean we were able to trade Dubnyk right?

AK Dandyman

Sep 12, 2008
While not a stud #1 goalie, I think Fasth is a good 1 and 1A starter.

Here's my own little scouting report on Fasth:

He is a small goalie by today standard at 5"11 or 6"0. Size might be his limitation and weakness.
Very quick feet, quite athletic, great lateral movements, very good at adjusting his angles, getting set early for shots and square to shooters, good positioing and good glove hand.
Fasth in a lot ways has a style similar to J. Bernier and Anton Khudobin. When on his game, he looks bigger in net than 5"11 because he is quick to get into great position and angle, not just side to side, but very good at coming out further to cut down the angle and then backing up in sync at the same speed as the shooter moving in closer to the net.
Rebound control is decent but not great, but he is really quick to recover on 2nd shots.
He will also use poke check against breakaway.
His lower body injury is a concern especially for a small goalie who relies on fast lateral movement and athleticism.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
You guys are all missing the bigger picture...

How the hell do you pronounce Fasth?

Being from sweden myself, I'd say it's pronounced "Fuzzed". No joke.

Now, let's hope he does better than the recent swedes. :D

Bangers

May 31, 2006
I like the trade, but wow - only 10 pages of thread after an Oilers trade?

We really are getting apathetic as a fan base.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I am very happy about this trade. I was hoping that we were going to get him in 2012 but it didn't happen then.

Fasth is a legitimate goalie gunning for a starter position and despite Scrivens play as of late I would give the slight edge to Fasth, but I could very well be wrong in that.

I don't think it is really fair to go on about his SV% GAA in NHL this season. He had a horrid first game (it happens) and was never able to really come back due to his injury problems. No one is to blame but himself since he messed up by trying to play through the injury (feeling the heat from Andersen). He finally chose to have an operation in December. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't be the same player as he was last season.

He has played 4 games since coming back from injury: Feb 22, 26, 28 and Mar 1.

02/22: Norfolk - Albany 1 - 4 L
Fasth SH: 32, SV: 29, SV%: 0.906

02/26: Charlotte - Norfolk 2 - 3 W
Fasth SH: 24, SV: 22, SV%: 0.917

02/28: Manchester - Norfolk 2 - 3 W
Fasth SH: 28, SV: 26, SV%: 0.929

03/01: Manchester - Norfolk 1 - 4 W
Fasth SH: 27, SV: 26, SV%: 0.963, 1 assist and 1st star.

Nice progression right there.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I just hope he doesn't crap his pants when realizing he just went from the NHL's top team to the Oilers and changed southern California for Edmonton...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So I was listening to Fasth on Gregor yesterday and low and behold who was the guy that helped his game out when he came from Europe? Pete Freaking Peeters. A guy that was deemed to do very little here.

Have to wonder if Chabot is the issue or just **** goalies that we had?

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
So I was listening to Fasth on Gregor yesterday and low and behold who was the guy that helped his game out when he came from Europe? Pete Freaking Peeters. A guy that was deemed to do very little here.

I think it goes without saying at this point that Eakins and the entire coaching staff... including Chabot should be purged.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

It's gotta be Chabot. I mean, how can you not fix Dubnyk's flaws when they're clear as day. A 12 year old probably could have seen more than Chabot

Pennertration

Oct 25, 2007
Calgary
I just think goalies are a crap shoot. You never quite know what you're going to get from one season to another, even with veterans. There are of course some exceptions - but those are few and far between. And even with the great ones you have to take into account injuries. I just think it's better to find those cheap gems.

Totally agree. I would never give a goalie a contract longer than 3 years and I'm definitely doubting the logic of even drafting them (or at least drafting them before the 5th round). Let someone else do all the legwork. They'll come available eventually. How many stud junior goalies turn into absolute duds? And how many quality vets go south quickly? Those are two very long lists.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
It's gotta be Chabot. I mean, how can you not fix Dubnyk's flaws when they're clear as day. A 12 year old probably could have seen more than Chabot

That, or like Corey Potter being a tweener, the player doesn't have the ability to "fix" their issues.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Edmonton and Anaheim have a good trade relationship, which is great since we make good trade partners with them.

Here's hoping that Koivu retires alongside Selanne this year. They'd be out two smaller, skilled players. We have (at least) one excess small, skilled player. They have a lot of good defencemen. See where I'm going with this?

I've always thought Gagner would make a good option in Anaheim. He would be an excellent 2C behind Getzlaf.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
That, or like Corey Potter being a tweener, the player doesn't have the ability to "fix" their issues.

Potter is a tweener from lack of skill. Dubnyk didn't suck because of a lack of skill. He sucked because he developed a LOT of bad habits under Chabot. Our goalie coach made him WORSE. That is grounds for firing

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Potter is a tweener from lack of skill. Dubnyk didn't suck because of a lack of skill. He sucked because he developed a LOT of bad habits under Chabot. Our goalie coach made him WORSE. That is grounds for firing

Well as long as we all assume that's the reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad