EDIT: The Islanders make the playoffs with a -18 GD, Capitals clinch with a -37!!

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I find it hilarious that the following teams are contending for a playoff spot:

Islanders (37 wins, 43 losses) = 90 pts (and almost certainly going to make it with a losing record)
Capitals (38 wins, 42 losses) = 87 pts
Flyers (38 wins, 43 losses) = 87 pts
Wings (39 wins, 41 losses) = 87 pts
Penguins (37 wins, 42 losses) = 86 pts

Meanwhile St. Louis was eliminated with a 42 win, 38 loss record. Those loser points, man...

Reactions: JKG33

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

Islanders (37 wins, 43 losses) = 90 pts (and almost certainly going to make it with a losing record)

Meanwhile St. Louis was eliminated with a 42 win, 38 loss record. Those loser points, man...
dont look at the nba standings then lolol

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

If you want to make an intelligent argument, look at the W-L-T records through 60 minutes.

Points earned in 3v3 and SO are less legitimate than points earned from a tie through 60 minutes of actual hockey.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec

This is such a stupid argument.

All of the teams are in the same league, playing with the same set of rules.

The reality is that those teams were good enough to reach overtime in all of those games and got points for that. Meanwhile, St. Louis was not able to do it as much and thus could not catch up to the other teams in the West. Next year, they can try to do better if they want in.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Yup, but two tough games left against Bruins and Flyers.

Detroit has a much easier time against the Habs
Maybe, maybe not. Was more pointing out that it changes so fast. Two days ago caps were in trouble after losing to sabres. Now they could control their own fate if pens lose

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
What the Islanders did this year makes no sense, but it’s also pretty damn impressive.
It makes sense since the east is ass this year and their division is blah. They're an average team. Just slightly better of a season than the rest of the misfits. That'll probably be the story for them for the foreseeable future. I'd take that as a Sabres fan, haha.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Just goes to show that there are too many teams in playoffs. Capitals will have lost more than half their games. What will they be doing in playoffs?

Only good teams to playoffs, please. That teams can get to playoffs with a negative W/L is a joke!

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Under no illusions here. We've seen it year after year. Canes win 65% of the races, and 60% of the board battles, and nyi's goaltending is probably not enough to cover for those disadvantages. But there's always a chance?

I will take this chance to sing the praises of Alex Romanov. This dude deters net drives like no Islander defender I've seen in a very long time. He's strong as an ox, and he's nimble enough to face up the player he hits. And opponents really shouldn't try to hit him - more than a few times I've seen players 'hitting' Romanov taking the worst of it. He's intimidating, and he's taken 10 penalties all year.

Roy has encouraged him to carry the puck more, because his skating is so good. He's improved in that area, and I think he'll only get better - he's still only 24. I like Frank Nazar, I really do. And I feel okay giving up the pick that drafted him for Romanov.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreeLeftSkates

Rehabguy

Always open minded
Oct 2, 2011
Just goes to show that there are too many teams in playoffs. Capitals will have lost more than half their games. What will they be doing in playoffs?

Only good teams to playoffs, please. That teams can get to playoffs with a negative W/L is a joke!
The Isles should have been one of the top teams in the East but alas they had Lambert for 2/3 of the season. Under Roy, the Isles have proven legit.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

I'm not sure what the record is for lowest goal diff by a playoff team, but the Caps might be close this season.

That said, the bolded also shouldn't be overlooked.

After 71 games, Washington is 39-42.

Detroit is 40-41, with a chance to finish the season at a true .500.

But if Washington wins their last game as well, they'll eliminate Detroit despite finishing with fewer wins on the season.

Apparently Detroit's 11 OT wins (plus two in a shootout) are being held against them, and that ought to leave a bad taste in the mouths of more than a few fans I would think. :help:

EDIT: Hell, just noticed the Isles are 38-43 and already ahead of the other two thanks in large part to loser points. What a backwards system this is. :laugh:

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
The Isles should have been one of the top teams in the East but alas they had Lambert for 2/3 of the season. Under Roy, the Isles have proven legit.
Also helps that they finally have been better on the PK as well. There are flaws but the islanders have been much better under Roy. Seriously, the losses they had this season under Lambert were insane. It was baffling how this team had the following losses

-4-2 blown lead in NJ with a game winning goal given up with 20 seconds left
-1-0 blown lead in Nashville with 6 minutes left, failure to clear the puck and horrible goal allowed with 10 seconds left
-4-1 blown lead to the SHARKS at home, allowing 4 straight unanswered with about 4 minutes left in the game!!!
-Being down 3-1 to the BLACKHAWKS at one point and losing in OT to a garbage screen shot by Seth Jones
-Carolina 3-0 blown lead earlier in the season
-Giving up FOUR power play goals to the Devils in the first few games of the year, allowing the Devils to walk all over the islanders 5v4, capped off by a Jack Hughes OT goal that should've never happened
-Colorado game where they blow a 4-4 game late from, you guessed it, a bad PK
-Blowing a 4-3 lead late to Boston from an insanely flukey goal and losing in the SO

There's at least a DOZEN games where the islanders have lost from Lamberts poor coaching. Not saying Roy is a god but he's made the team (and system) much better. I'll give shit for Roy in the stadium series game, but that was self induced from both horrible penalties by Mayfield, and the NHL needing ratings.

Last edited:

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I'm not sure what the record is for lowest goal diff by a playoff team, but the Caps might be close this season.

That said, the bolded also shouldn't be overlooked.

After 71 games, Washington is 39-42.

Detroit is 40-41, with a chance to finish the season at a true .500.

But if Washington wins their last game as well, they'll eliminate Detroit despite finishing with fewer wins on the season.

Apparently Detroit's 11 OT wins (plus two in a shootout) are being held against them, and that ought to leave a bad taste in the mouths of more than a few fans I would think. :help:

EDIT: Hell, just noticed the Isles are 38-43 and already ahead of the other two thanks in large part to loser points. What a backwards system this is. :laugh:
RW is the first tie breaker. As it should be. Win without a gimmick. How many occurrences during the season was there any 3x3 action in regulation?

Reactions: um and nyscene

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
RW is the first tie breaker. As it should be. Win without a gimmick. How many occurrences during the season was there any 3x3 action in regulation?

Oh I know, but at the end of the day a win is a win. Shouldn't matter when it takes place, they're all worth two points anyway.

A team at 41-41 shouldn't be missing the playoffs because a team at 38-44 just happened to lose later in the game.....or win "earlier".

Never been a fan of the loser point. :laugh:

NVious

Dec 20, 2022
This is just sad, the NHL should just veto their positions and give the teams a buy.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Oh I know, but at the end of the day a win is a win. Shouldn't matter when it takes place, they're all worth two points anyway.

A team at 41-41 shouldn't be missing the playoffs because a team at 38-44 just happened to lose later in the game.....or win "earlier".

Never been a fan of the loser point. :laugh:
I just have a different take. I get your viewpoint, but I'm more of calling it a bonus point as for me the game ended in regulation and it's a gimmick to find a winner.

I mean, we are down to just 18 games left and we have 268 OTL. So, if we divided that number by 32 teams that is 8.3 points per team extra. So, for me 0.500 in today's NHL is 82 + these 8 extra points, thus 90 points. Thus possible for PHI to make the PO at 89 points and be under that mark if everything else falls their way with MON and NYI beating Pitt and Det.

Reactions: um and Dr Pepper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad