EDIT: The Islanders make the playoffs with a -18 GD, Capitals clinch with a -37!!

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
My islanders have greatly benefited from the loser point this year. Yes the team has been better after Roy took over but we’re still not consistent enough to be a legit playoff threat. If we make the playoffs I don’t think we go passed the first round. In years prior the islanders were the team nobody wanted to play in the playoffs. Now, we’re likely the team other teams are hoping for.
Since the 80s, every time the Islanders have made the playoffs, they were expected to lose.

Reactions: BB79

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
the east is pretty brutal this year, in the bad way. id be surprised if those team make it out of the 1st round tho.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I am such a Crosby fan, always have been, so I am pushing for the Pens to get in, and I hope they do. Hey you never know, the Panthers were the 8th spot last year. But at least the Pens don't have this awful goal differential. Yeah I don't get it with the Caps. Both the Caps and Pens have been good for so long that they are starting to see how they will fall hard, and it will be ugly soon enough, but I do hope Sid gets another shot in the playoffs.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
That's what happens with diluted leagues while fanboys scream athletes are the best ever......

Should be 6 teams from each conference and a first round Bo5 series so Top 4 teams in each Conference get 10 days off.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
That's what happens with diluted leagues while fanboys scream athletes are the best ever......

Should be 6 teams from each conference and a first round Bo5 series so Top 4 teams in each Conference get 10 days off.

If the NHL followed your idea, the Wings wouldn't make the cut, and they might still miss as it is right now.

I'm OK with 16 teams making it as usual. I think what happened this year is that the East is top heavy. The top 4-5 teams are great, and everybody else sucks.

WingsFan95

Mar 22, 2008
Kanata
If the NHL followed your idea, the Wings wouldn't make the cut, and they might still miss as it is right now.

I'm OK with 16 teams making it as usual. I think what happened this year is that the East is top heavy. The top 4-5 teams are great, and everybody else sucks.
Dude I got my Wings in the playoff fill for a lifetime. I just want good content come playoff time not scrub teams or underserving lazy teams getting 2nd chances. Hell could you imagine if we just had 8 team playoffs? With the division winners and then 2 wildcards? Would be pretty sweet.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Dude I got my Wings in the playoff fill for a lifetime. I just want good content come playoff time not scrub teams or underserving lazy teams getting 2nd chances. Hell could you imagine if we just had 8 team playoffs? With the division winners and then 2 wildcards? Would be pretty sweet.

I think it would give a lot more importance to the regular season, which would be a positive. On the other hand, it would reduce the frequency of major upsets happening.

Florida qualified as the last WC team last year and beat everybody in the East, beating the best regular season team of all time in round 1. LA won the Cup as the 16th ranked team in 2012.

As much as this playoff race sucks, I wouldn’t completely write off whoever survives the turtle race. Playoff hockey is different, and anything can happen.

Reactions: pi314

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
They played a great game. Problem is they haven’t done it nearly has consistently as we’ve seen in prior years. It’s a totally different feel. We used to be “built for the playoffs” we got away from that.

Because they play against other trash metro teams!!! lol
Rangers have one of the best records in the league against “top 10” teams by current standings

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Captain Lindy

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
The "race" to back into the last two playoff spots has certainly been epic. At this point I think the league should limit the Eastern Conference to 6 playoff teams... Just give the two division winners first round byes.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I think it would give a lot more importance to the regular season, which would be a positive. On the other hand, it would reduce the frequency of major upsets happening.

It would make a huge chunk of the regular season worthless. 80% of the league would have nothing to play for, for weeks or months. Having only a few teams make it is an awful idea.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
It feels like the wild card teams are fighting over the rights to go play golf instead of a playoff spot at this point

Reactions: Sentinel

Strawberry Fields

12x Calder Cup Champs
Sep 29, 2017
Central PA
Serious spell check fail. Don't want to know what you've been posting frequently.
That was the "official" spelling of his name early in his career.
s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

semenvarlamov197udvictory200910.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad