GDT: ECSF Gm 7 | FLYERS (H) vs. Islanders (A) | Sat., Sep. 5, 2020 | 7:30 pm ET | NBC, CBC, TVAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

OK, I have a problem with these comments, including the ones below.

It's great that Oskars health has improved and it's great to see him skating and working his way back. His health is the most important thing.

However, this is the playoffs and when it comes to who plays in games, the sole determining factor should be if that player can help the team win. If someone is in the type of physical condition where you're this concerned about them being able to handle shifts, you feel the need to check on them constantly, and you only play them 13 out of 75 minutes at 5v5 in a double OT game, then they probably shouldn't be playing to begin with. Both for their sake and the teams sake.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

It's great that Oskars health has improved and it's great to see him skating and working his way back. His health is the most important thing.

However, this is the playoffs and when it comes to who plays in games, the sole determining factor should be if that player can help the team win. If someone is in the type of physical condition where you're this concerned about them being able to handle shifts, you feel the need to check on them constantly, and you only play them 13 out of 75 minutes at 5v5 in a double OT game, then they probably shouldn't be playing to begin with. Both for their sake and the teams sake.

If he was replacing Grant though and only playing limited minutes, I would be ok with it.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I’m not a dentist but I did used to sell weed to one in an alley behind a Holiday Inn Express. Does that count?
Yes.
But none of these things AV does matters. He's icing the best players and putting them in the best position to win with his outstanding eagle eye for challenges.

My f***ing lord. It's disgusting to say sarcastic positives about the turd display he's put on in the playoffs.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City

Oskar was slower than usual and lost one board battle I can remember that he wouldn't have lost if he was 100%, but he acquitted himself well after such a long layoff.

If they think he can make a difference, then he should dress, as long as he is medically cleared to do so.

I also have no qualms with AV checking in in him because no one could possibly know how he would handle coming into an elimination playoff game after 8 months off and going through cancer treatment.

The only other guy that would have dressed instead of Oskar is Bunny, so now you have to weigh whether or not Bunny would produce more. He probably would have seen similar minutes.

Overall, I am okay with it because, although not 100%, Oskar could still play. They would have had some idea from his practice sessions, but you could never know for sure until he was in a game situation.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
If the flyers role these lines I think we will win. Speed on every line. Couts will be good for TK. I think Raffl and NAK can make Thompson there not a disaster.

My biggest concern is how Hart is doing. I feel like he doesn’t do well with little rest. If we win tomorrow I think it has to be with the skaters which means they have to play a game more like game 4.
Hart seems dialed in. I'm not worried about him. Either way, I think it's going to be a close game. The Islanders just don't quit.
I wouldn't mind another wild, high-scoring game because we always seem to win those and the Islanders have lost every game when they allowed more than 2 goals. Trotz definitely prefers low-scoring games.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Oskar was slower than usual and lost one board battle I can remember that he wouldn't have lost if he was 100%, but he acquitted himself well after such a long layoff.

If they think he can make a difference, then he should dress, as long as he is medically cleared to do so.

I also have no qualms with AV checking in in him because no one could possibly know how he would handle coming into an elimination playoff game after 8 months off and going through cancer treatment.

The only other guy that would have dressed instead of Oskar is Bunny, so now you have to weigh whether or not Bunny would produce more. He probably would have seen similar minutes.

Overall, I am okay with it because, although not 100%, Oskar could still play. They would have had some idea from his practice sessions, but you could never know for sure until he was in a game situation.
I'm not questioning his ability as a player or if he's better than other options. I'm questioning if it was wise to put in someone they're not convinced can physically manage playing the game.

And no, Bunny is not the only other option.

Reactions: FLYERSFAN18

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Hart seems dialed in. I'm not worried about him. Either way, I think it's going to be a close game. The Islanders just don't quit.
I wouldn't mind another wild, high-scoring game because we always seem to win those and the Islanders have lost every game when they allowed more than 2 goals. Trotz definitely prefers low-scoring games.
Hart will be fine.

First off, he’s young. Plus he has all day today to rest, rehydrate and take it easy. He should be perfectly fine by tomorrow night.

I’m much more concerned about Hagg, Braun, Nate, Grant, AV and Michel le moron. Even with a day off, the first four will suck, the 5th will make bad decisions and the last guy will still be a drooling, mouth breathing, asshat.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
I'm not questioning his ability as a player or if he's better than other options. I'm questioning if it was wise to put in someone they're not convinced can physically manage playing the game.

And no, Bunny is not the only other option.
They would have had a good gauge on his physical ability from practice, but you never know for sure until a game setting, as I noted.

And, yes, Bunny was the only option. Frost isn't on the radar. That is an entirely different conversation, but Frost was never going to be a replacement for Couts or Farabee.

Reactions: Jtown

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They would have had a good gauge on his physical ability from practice, but you never know for sure until a game setting, as I noted.

And, yes, Bunny was the only option. Frost isn't on the radar. That is an entirely different conversation, but Frost was never going to be a replacement for Couts or Farabee.
Frost is an existing option, whether they chose him or not. The fact that they don't is just another failure on their part.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
If Couts were to return, AV would have an interesting decision to make, does he keep Laughton on the 1st line and build a line around Couts with say JVR and TK, then go with Raffl - Hayes - NAK as the third line and Lindblom - Thompson - Pitlick as the 4th?

I can see this.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Hart will be fine.

First off, he’s young. Plus he has all day today to rest, rehydrate and take it easy. He should be perfectly fine by tomorrow night.

I’m much more concerned about Hagg, Braun, Nate, Grant, AV and Michel le moron. Even with a day off, the first four will suck, the 5th will make bad decisions and the last guy will still be a drooling, mouth breathing, asshat.
I think Braun has mostly been fine. He took a bad penalty last night that shouldn't have happened, but apart from that I didn't notice him in a negative way.
Hagg may have had his best game in a long time last night.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I will be running some tests over the next few hours to determine if this is Maximum Pain™ status, early results tell me that it is quite close but at this point it is too close to call so I can not make a firm prediction on this game.

The only way this reaches maximum pain is if we blow a multiple goal lead in the final 10 minutes and lose in OT.

Which of course has already almost happened in Game 5.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
i think frost could potentially be an option if we advance and play the lightning. However this isles series is too physical right now for a guy like frost.

They're not going to use him. They're too stupid and too obsessed with awful players. Same as why Ghost isn't coming back in.

And he'd be perfectly fine to play in this series. In fact, he's exactly what we need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad