Series Discussion: ECSF: Capitals vs Penguins (Pens up 3-1) (Pens Fans Read Post #1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Pens fans surprisingly pessimistic on their boards. I think they're pretty convinced MAF will play the entire series.

It has more to do with missing Letang, that really kills our transition game. They were opportunistic against the Jackets, but I can't see Holtby falling apart like Bobrovsky.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
This is why I am quite happy to see Holtby give up just the 1 ga two games in a row. He seems to have reset his game. With 3 days off between games he may only suck in game 1.

Fleury on the road, you get no sympathy from me. :laugh:

Guy gets chants no matter where he plays, at least he has that going for him.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
This is really big IMO. Ovie/Backy on maybe their last serious shot, up against the team they never seem to get past. When it comes to legacy I think its big. If they lose this, they may never get another real shot and they will always be the core that couldn't get past the 2nd/Pitt.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Coming in absolute peace...

Pens fans surprisingly pessimistic on their boards. I think they're pretty convinced MAF will play the entire series.

Part of it is some laying the excuse foundation early, of course, but there is also just some basic respect and logic to it.

You were the best team we faced last year by a good bit even if that series went 6 and the Tampa one seven. All games could have gone either way, whereas we dominated Tampa in 5 out of 7.

Some of the main factors for us last season were Murray playing really well, our depth beating your depth with the HBK line that we do not have now and Letang in general had his best playoffs ever.

This season you are better and deeper on paper than last, even if AO doesn't look quite as good. We are short Letang, Murray and Hagelin.. - you likely have everyone ready.

At the same time, we have the top6 and PP to beat you still, but with Caps having home ice, I do think it is reasonable to think you are favorites. Probably have to play better than you did against Toronto though. We sure have to improve our breakouts/territorial play to give MAF a chance.

Psycho match-up in the second round again though. To me this is the de facto final just like it was last year. Two best teams in hockey. Can't wait.

peterthegreat12

Hopeless Caps fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jan 22, 2011
Washington DC
Caps are due a series against these guys...hopefully this is the year.

Shattenkirk will need to show up, and hopefully Alzner is healthy. I always felt Alzner played well against Crosby.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
A sign of positivist, is that we one a couple close low scoring games. We came back from being down in the series, we came back from being down in a elimination game, we got the offensive zone draw and crash the net goal to win it.

Those things usually happen against us.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'd say the Penguins depth is arguably weaker this season (due to injury) but their top two lines are stronger. Their D is weaker and so is the goaltending due to injury as well.

Jun 15, 2007
Caps in 5.

I'm feeling it.

I've been rewatching all the Leafs goals in this series and way too many of them are fluke goals. Meanwhile CLB laid a goose egg. Pens are going to be in for a nasty surprise.

Space Coyote

Oct 29, 2010
I come in peace. Trotz was pure class in the end. Good luck and hopefully Caps can go all the way this year.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
Two servos even though Crow was the superior robot

Most controversial statement of the series.

Both robots were equally as good IMO, but I will say that I am a staunch Joel > Mike guy.

Off topic, but I attended the Trace Beaulieu/Frank Conniff live riff thing last night in PGH, and it was so much better than I expected. Don't know why I thought it would lose teeth in a "real" setting, but I was crying. Pace and timing was spot on. Highly recommend it.

Anyway, Pens in 7? Pens forward depth is perhaps better than last year, but the defense is weaker. Caps need to play aggressive hockey. Tax the Pens D, put pucks on Fleury.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Best of luck Caps fans. I think we're going to have to get very lucky to even make it close against you guys, I can see us getting caved in with scoring chances and Holtby >> Fleury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad