Series Talk: ECQF (WC1) Boston Bruins vs (M1) Carolina Hurricanes - Carolina leads 2-0

Series result?

• Bruins in 4

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • Bruins in 5

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Bruins in 6

Votes: 95 42.8%
  • Bruins in 7

Votes: 55 24.8%
  • Whalercanes in 4

Votes: 6 2.7%
  • Whalercanes in 5

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Whalercanes in 6

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • Whalercanes in 7

Votes: 4 1.8%

• Total voters

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
They couldn't have been more even over the course of the regular season by all the data models that everyone' uses to set odds. They look different on the ice but their results are shockingly similar. I think this series is a toss up. Cane's home ice advantage is evened out by Freddy being hurt. Without their 25+GSAE goaltender, the canes are probably a bit worse than the Bruins. I'd be extremely hesitant to put money on either team. It's essentially a coin flip. Guess we find out tomorrow how things will go.
Seemed to recall Freddy when he played for the Leafs of always giving up some terrible goals.

Reactions: BMC and TCB

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
And I'll continue to point out that people who continue to be negative in every post are simply doing so because they enjoy being negative.

You don't have to like Sweeney and you can thing there are holes in the line up.

When a poster writes them off completely and refuses to acknowledge the team is much better than the last time the 2 teams met and that they've played pretty well for the most part, I'm calling them out.
Post automatically merged:

They are still preventing non Carolina residents from buying tickets. Clowns

full

LMAO!!! That’s what happens when you’re an absolute shit market for hockey. Move the Canes to a place that deserves a team. They’ve proven for too long they don’t.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I get that the Bs have had Freddie Andersons number in the past. But that was when he was playing for multiple Leafs teams who couldn’t even identify their defensive zone. Now he’s behind a competent d core and has had a strong season.

He’s an X factor in this series. It’s a big advantage for the Bs if he’s out. Raanta is also banged up but when isn’t he.

Anyways, I’m pumped for tomorrow night. Hope the Bs can steal at least one in Carolina. Hopefully the Canes take the Bs lightly cause of the regular season and the Bs can catch them sleeping at the wheel,

Reactions: BMC

trenton1

Bergeron for Hart
Dec 19, 2003
Loge 31 Row 10
I worry a bit about the Brind 'Amour team structure. I can see the Bruins outplaying and/or outshooting them for vast periods of time only to be down 3-0 on just 3 untimely turnovers. The Canes play well as a unit like the old NJ Devils did. They can make things happen quickly without any big lead-up.

The Canes don't seem good enough to win it all, but they will be a stubborn team to put away. They are better than they were in 2020. The Bruins may well be better than they were in 2020 thanks to having a better defense, but it will be that secondary scoring that will need to be there as well. Haula, DeBrusk, Coyle, Frederic have to be on the sheet. The Bruins 4th line will need to be better as well.

I'll go with Bruins in 6, but nothing would surprise me.

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Oh sure there's disappointment, but they can still fuel their ego with the "I told you so" and act like they're smarter then everyone else if the Bruins lost. It's no different then those same people who you can tell want to see a prospect fail just so they can say "I told you the kid sucked."

If posters like that exist here I think we can agree there's nothing to pat themselves on the back about when they are just predicting the outcome that is most likely.

If they do exist I just don't think they exist in any meaningful # that's worth giving attention to.

I think there are too many here that read negative opinions and think that means you aren't a real fan. They have no clue that you can want a team to succeed but also look at the team and say these specific reasons are why they ultimately won't. That doesn't make someone more or less of a fan. There's just posters here that enjoy discussing the game and team below the surface. Deeper than those that are just here to wave pom poms.

And those two groups of posters shouldn't be viewed as the same.

I mean you literally took a victory lap on being right a few posts ago. So there's the win win for you.

You don't get it and that's ok.

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
IF we play relatively mistakeless hockey I am confident in our chances.
Turnovers or defensive mistakes will be pounced upon immediately by the Canes and converted into goals.

I wasn’t able to watch the Baby Bruins vs. Marlies. Should Wagner take a spot from any 4th liner based on the last game?
Not to me. Keep in Lazar over Wagner.
BUT, given the beating Lazar gives/takes and the energy he brings he is going to need to be rested every few and thats where a Wags sub makes a ton of sense to me.

Jockularity

Jan 17, 2019
For me, it's the "intangibles" that the Bruins bring that will hopefully sway the series in their favour.

I think the leadership that Bergy, Brad and Foligno (and others) bring will be key. Jake, I feel (hope), will be on a mission to "make his mark" these playoffs. I think Lindholm will also want to prove himself, being a recent acquisition (signing). Speaking of Lindholm, interestingly (according to NHL.com), in 2015 playoffs, he had a four-game playoff point streak, the longest by a Ducks defenseman since Pronger (in 2009), and he finished those playoffs tied for sixth in scoring among defensemen with 10 points in 16 games. Here's hoping for more of that! I also think Hall, being a veteran but with only 3 years exepriencing playoffs will be hungry. Obviously, goaltending will be huge, and will be a key factor for both teams.

Having said that, that's not to say there's not similar factors on the Canes side; but I think the character of those mentioned above will be a "swing factor" for the good guys. Have a good day.

Reactions: HustleB and BMC

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Kind of a contradictory statement, no?
I meant the core guys - I was curious so I looked up the games played by them

Bergy - 153
Marchand - 132
Coyle - 92
Pasta - 68
McAvoy - 65
Smith - 62
Jake - 59
Foligno - 55
Lindholm - 55
Grzelcyk -54
Haula - 54
Carlo - 45
Nosek - 38

Mark Giordano age 38 = 23 playoff games played
Cliffy has played 36 so far and he is not even a regular, Wagner if he gets in is at 56 games

Last edited:

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
For me, it's the "intangibles" that the Bruins bring that will hopefully sway the series in their favour.

I think the leadership that Bergy, Brad and Foligno (and others) bring will be key. Jake, I feel (hope), will be on a mission to "make his mark" these playoffs. I think Lindholm will also want to prove himself, being a recent acquisition (signing). Speaking of Lindholm, interestingly (according to NHL.com), in 2015 playoffs, he had a four-game playoff point streak, the longest by a Ducks defenseman since Pronger (in 2009), and he finished those playoffs tied for sixth in scoring among defensemen with 10 points in 16 games. Here's hoping for more of that! I also think Hall, being a veteran but with only 3 years exepriencing playoffs will be hungry. Obviously, goaltending will be huge, and will be a key factor for both teams.

Having said that, that's not to say there's not similar factors on the Canes side; but I think the character of those mentioned above will be a "swing factor" for the good guys. Have a good day.
If @Ladyfan can smuggle in her baseball bat that will be the biggest "intangible" for me. :D

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
If posters like that exist here I think we can agree there's nothing to pat themselves on the back about when they are just predicting the outcome that is most likely.

If they do exist I just don't think they exist in any meaningful # that's worth giving attention to.

I think there are too many here that read negative opinions and think that means you aren't a real fan. They have no clue that you can want a team to succeed but also look at the team and say these specific reasons are why they ultimately won't. That doesn't make someone more or less of a fan. There's just posters here that enjoy discussing the game and team below the surface. Deeper than those that are just here to wave pom poms.

It's pretty easy to see who is always negative and who likes to talk hockey. I've said negative things before as has everyone. Hell as much as I've said I don't care who we faced, I also said CAR scared me the most. Personally I've blocked majority of those constantly negative posters because they bring nothing to discussion. When things are bad they are very active and vocal. When things are going good they are nowhere to be found. The JDB thread is a perfect example. It was one of the most active threads the first half of the year. DeBrusk starts finding his game again and suddenly activity in there goes nearly silent. This of course until he was nominated for an award and people lost their mind.

If someone has a negative opinion but has a logical evidence to support it, those aren't the people we're talking about. For example if you think Boston is going to lose R1 and reference their regular season vs CAR, that's a fair point and I could see why that would concern some.

To add to this, the Senyshyn thread is another example. Not much action, then he gets traded and suddenly people are keeping tabs in him. The kids not even with he team, played all of 14 games for Boston. No one's keeping tabs on Vaak or any other former Bruins, so why Senyshyn? Because he was a lightning rod pick that some have been hoping to fail even with OTT so they can say "see he just sucks, it wasn't the Bruins who ruined him."

I wasn’t able to watch the Baby Bruins vs. Marlies. Should Wagner take a spot from any 4th liner based on the last game?

The only spot he could take is Lazar. Doesn't play C or LW. Could you slide Lazar to C and Nosek to LW so Wags can play RW? Maybe, but to start I wouldn't.

Last edited:

Score8

Apr 6, 2017
Bruins can win this series, what scares the hell out of me is their d after cheeks & hampus. The bruins have been cratering in their own end against a decent forecheck for a while now and that is terrifying against this canes team. Carlo and gryz shouldn’t even be allowed to Uber together never mind play on the same pairing. It’s too late now to fix it, hopefully they can shelter Carlo as much as humanly possible. These 2 teams might be the most evenly matched teams production wise heading into the po . Toss up for me, heart says bruins in 7 , head says “no effing clue “.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

I believe that just because a "fan" wants to post positive things about their team doesn't make them a pom pom waver. There is always hope.

I know that is what you think of me . I don't think because someone post negative things that makes them not a fan. I DO believe SOME here think they are so much above the rest and are such deep hockey thinkers and think THEY know so much more than other fans. I know this is not the case (except for a few like Dom who really does know more than the rest of us).

It is sad that posters cannot enjoy the ride.

I am sure YOU will ultimately be correct because the chance of a cup win is slim. I believe even the positive posters know this.

You are very condescending. I don't know why because you are not one of the great hockey minds here.

aguineapig

I am going to watch this series with my Black and Gold John Lennon granny glasses, whilst wearing my Pink Hat, with my TV Ears on full blast so I can hear Jack Edwards screaming "PATRICE BERGERON WINS IT IN OVERTIME"
1651416067863.png

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
I believe that just because a "fan" wants to post positive things about their team doesn't make them a pom pom waver. There is always hope.

I know that is what you think of me . I don't think because someone post negative things that makes them not a fan. I DO believe SOME here think they are so much above the rest and are such deep hockey thinkers and think THEY know so much more than other fans. I know this is not the case (except for a few like Dom who really does know more than the rest of us).

It is sad that posters cannot enjoy the ride.

I am sure YOU will ultimately be correct because the chance of a cup win is slim. I believe even the positive posters know this.

You are very condescending. I don't know why because you are not one of the great hockey minds
1651417158192.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad