ECQF New York Islanders vs Pittsburgh Penguins (Isles sweep 4-0)

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
The lack of true top-end talent up in that roster hurts New York's chances. this also is a team which doesn't have any real experience making a deep run in the playoffs. Washington is (on paper) stronger at pretty much every position, has some of the best players in the league (including perhaps the greatest goal scorer in history) and is the defending Cup champion and they would have home-ice to boot. There is no way they wouldn't be the heavy favorite in a tilt with the Islanders. Not saying New York couldn't pull it off; but I think pretty much every neutral observer would agree the odds are against them.
Substitute Pens for Caps/Crosby for Ovie. We have heard it before,and they need to get by Carolina first.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
There are some very big assumptions there. Look, I respect the heck out of what the Islanders and Columbus have pulled off but they would both be underdogs again in their second round matchups and that is also assuming those two opponents you name do win their series; Washington looks very probable with a 3-1 lead over an inexperienced Carolina team but Boston is right now down 2-1 against the Leafs.

Caps are up 2-1.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well, the date can still be set, right? Or at least, logically, there should be only two possible dates, right? I want to know so that I can reschedule my business trip. :)

Not really, because who gets home ice depends on whether the Isles play the Caps or the Canes.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Substitute Pens for Caps/Crosby for Ovie.
Sure... aside from the fact that they are completely different teams and players that play a different style of game. Beating the Pens, while impressive is no guarantee that the Islanders will also beat the Caps.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Caps are up 2-1.
Sorry for the typo there. And yeah the Canes could pull it back, but given Washington’s pedigree and experience, I do think it is probable they win this series (at least way more probable then any pick in Boston v Toronto which still feels like a coin flip). Anyway, we should have a much clearer idea after tonight, at least for the chances of the Bruins.

Reactions: SteveH124

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
Sure... aside from the fact that they are completely different teams and players that play a different style of game. Beating the Pens, while impressive is no guarantee that the Islanders will also beat the Caps.
I was just pointing out that we have been hearing unsustainable since the season began. The games are played on the ice,and we are waiting for whoever we face. Not guaranteeing a win, but we are not the easy out people expect.

scott99

May 13, 2005
The Islanders were impressive in this round, but my god, the Penguins didn't even look like a playoff team in this series. That was an embarrassing performance. Maybe they were so arrogant that they thought that they could coast to a victory or maybe they were just washed up, but that series was a slap in the face of every Penguins fan.
When one team imposed their will on the other in such a dominating fashion, the losing team often looks bad. Pittsburgh never gave up, they were just outplayed and out coached. It happens in sports. To use excuses words like embarrassing, arrogant, “didn’t look like a playoff team”, just shows how much the Isles dominated. They made the Penguins look that way, they didn’t look that way on accident.

No offense to Penguin’s fans, I’m one of the few Isle’s fans who doesn’t hate the Penguins or Crosby. I’m quite the opposite, I admire and like both. Was rooting for you guys your last 3 Cup runs.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
The lack of true top-end talent up in that roster hurts New York's chances. this also is a team which doesn't have any real experience making a deep run in the playoffs. Washington is (on paper) stronger at pretty much every position, has some of the best players in the league (including perhaps the greatest goal scorer in history) and is the defending Cup champion and they would have home-ice to boot. There is no way they wouldn't be the heavy favorite in a tilt with the Islanders. Not saying New York couldn't pull it off; but I think pretty much every neutral observer would agree the odds are against them.

Hey, I completely get this kind of reasoning, honestly. But I'm so f***ing tired of hearing it time and time and time again, it's been said a thousand times this season in many different ways. Pretty much every neutral observer agreed last September this team is bottom 5 of the league. Almost all of them laughed at the chance the Isles will get into playoffs. They were called lucky, their play unsustainable, called into question every single game this season. And yet they were in competition to win the freaking Metro until what, like second half of March or maybe even later than that. Then they didn't stood a chance against the Pens, the former Cup champions, with so much talent and skill and will to win. Now they don't stand a chance against the Caps (who, I'm pretty sure, still didn't even win the first round), because of the talent and the best players in the league and whatever.

So yeah, I think pretty much every neutral observer should give this team a chance.

I'm not saying they'll win. But they'll try and fight like they did all season.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Far inferior talent? Lets not get crazy. Isles D 1 thru 6 is far superior. Isles bottom 6 is far superior. Isles goaltending is far superior.

Top end. The Pens are not short on world class talent. And yes, our D is better 1-6

aisle18

Jul 5, 2009
Hey, I completely get this kind of reasoning, honestly. But I'm so ****ing tired of hearing it time and time and time again, it's been said a thousand times this season in many different ways. Pretty much every neutral observer agreed last September this team is bottom 5 of the league. Almost all of them laughed at the chance the Isles will get into playoffs. They were called lucky, their play unsustainable, called into question every single game this season. And yet they were in competition to win the freaking Metro until what, like second half of March or maybe even later than that. Then they didn't stood a chance against the Pens, the former Cup champions, with so much talent and skill and will to win. Now they don't stand a chance against the Caps (who, I'm pretty sure, still didn't even win the first round), because of the talent and the best players in the league and whatever.

So yeah, I think pretty much every neutral observer should give this team a chance.

I'm not saying they'll win. But they'll try and fight like they did all season.
Are you serious? I'm praying that we're huge underdogs the whole way. And more "first to islanders" type articles come out. This team LOVES that chip on it's shoulder. Don't try and take that away.

Barzallelujah

Dec 27, 2006

The Penguins had 5 less goals than the Caps this season... I love Ovechkin, I really do. I agree that he's arguably the greatest goal scorer ever... However, the Isles did just shut down Crosby, Guentzal, Malkin, Kessel and Hornqvist and Letang... Plus, they have the former Caps coach that knows them better than he knew the Penguins. I can't see how the Capitals are automatically the heavy favorite just because of Home Ice... especially since both teams had basically identical home and away records as they finished only 1 point apart.

I hate the fact that the Isles won't play for another week... I think too much rest is a bad thing... but, the fact is that the Capitals still have to play at least 2 games against a determined Hurricanes team that just whooped them 5-0 at home. They could easily go 6 or 7 games and beat the hell out of each other, where the Isles are waiting to strike again.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with pewdiepie but the phrase calls to mind a certain... incident
Tom Brady winning another superbowl?

maxresdefault.jpg

Haha. Bad people only take over good things if you let them. :)

Reactions: MattMartin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad