ECQF New York Islanders vs Pittsburgh Penguins (Isles sweep 4-0)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Islanders were impressive in this round, but my god, the Penguins didn't even look like a playoff team in this series. That was an embarrassing performance. Maybe they were so arrogant that they thought that they could coast to a victory or maybe they were just washed up, but that series was a slap in the face of every Penguins fan.

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
I think one of the biggest factors in the series was the emergence of Eberle. He was debatably the best forward in a series full of names like Kessel, Crosby, Barzal, and Malkin. I always thought he could be be a big game performer based on his play at the World Jrs and was shocked how contained he was with the Oilers.

It looks like he’s finally playing like the Eberle everyone thought he could be. A late emergence but an emergence none the less. Whether he’s playing with a chip on his shoulder due to his poor performance in the playoffs with Edmonton, or playing for a contract... he looks scary out there.

Last edited:

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
The Islanders looked like the team who wanted to WIN. They were so relentless in their forecheck and in defence that the Pens simply did not know how to counter it.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
The Isles played great, their gap control was impressive.
Pittsburgh did have some shifts where the defense of New York broke down but that's to be expected with guys like Crosby, Kessel, and Malkin on the ice.

A huge step forward for the Islanders.

Reactions: SteveH124

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
How is "better collection of talent" defined? If you define it by saying the Pens have 3-4 star scorers and therefore are better talented than the Isles, then I disagree. But if you define a better collection of talent as better D men, better G, better talent across all 4 lines rather than just comparing 1st lines, then no, the Islanders are not less talented.

The OP phrased it as "The NYI lack talent, they are far inferior than the Pens." This is absolutely untrue. Talent is not just goals, and each and every Islander displayed a better level of talent than the Pens. Speed, exiting the D zone quickly, giving up just one shot before clearing the zone, relentless forecheck, excellent goalie play. This accomplishment is based on individual talent playing in a team system. If not for the individual talent on the team, the system would not be this successful. Talent <> just goals.

My post was poorly written and not very clear.

The way I look at it is that the Isles lack a lot of high-end “offensive talent.” Additionally, I wasn’t even focused on that poster specifically. Moreover, I also wasn’t thinking of the Pens exclusively but various teams such as the Lightning, Leafs etc.

The following that I wrote was intended to convey exactly what your second paragraph addressed:

they do possess talent but not necessarily of the high offensive creative variety.

My opinion on the Islanders is that they have great depth of talent up and down the lineup that allows them to play as well as they have.

Random few examples:

Toews - excellent skating and vision​

Clutterbuck - surprisingly good at transitioning the puck with speed

Nelson - great shot, speed. Very good reads and defensive stick checks this series.

Barzal - often feels like a near guaranteed zone entry​

Basically, I feel I can go up and down the lineup and find top quality skill and abilities that allow the Isles to do very well in the unheralded aspects of Hockey.

Hope that’s a bit clearer. Cheers

Reactions: beach

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
The best part of this series was the GDTs.

Shoutout to @MattMartin, @Clare2904, and @Ugene Malkin for those.

Pretty miserable series for the pens because of how well the Islanders played. Also I knew Barzal was a great player before this series, but damn... That guy is a special player.

He has just been missing a sniper and his stats have suffered because of it. Eberle stepped up as the sniper this series.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
He has just been missing a sniper and his stats have suffered because of it. Eberle stepped up as the sniper this series.

Yeah Eberle scored like 40 goals this series. Felt that way atleast.

And it’s always worth repeating: CHIA GAVE HIM AWAY FOR NOTHING.

Actually come to think of it Chia have the Isles both of them.

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
The Islanders were impressive in this round, but my god, the Penguins didn't even look like a playoff team in this series. That was an embarrassing performance. Maybe they were so arrogant that they thought that they could coast to a victory or maybe they were just washed up, but that series was a slap in the face of every Penguins fan.

Honestly, just think it was a bad match-up for PIT. 2 straight SC runs, 2nd round last year, and a full regular season this year. Sometimes you’re just toast, and having a feisty pack of wolves like this year’s NYI jumping all over you will make you look bad very quickly. Maybe they could have eventually gotten their legs under them against a different, more finesse opponent, etc. Not to be.

I am in the camp that Crosby/Malkin still have some magic left in ‘em though...

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
1. Malkin and Kessel was invisible in 5v5.
2. Gudbranson was awful.
3. Murray never made any important saves. Lehner made plenty.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
It is called

Islanders beating Washington
and
Columbus beating Boston
There are some very big assumptions there. Look, I respect the heck out of what the Islanders and Columbus have pulled off but they would both be underdogs again in their second round matchups and that is also assuming those two opponents you name do win their series; Washington looks very probable with a 2-1 lead over an inexperienced Carolina team but Boston is right now down 2-1 against the Leafs.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
There are some very big assumptions there. Look, I respect the heck out of what the Islanders and Columbus have pulled off but they would both be underdogs again in their second round matchups and that is also assuming those two opponents you name do win their series; Washington looks very probable with a 3-1 lead over an inexperienced Carolina team but Boston is right now down 2-1 against the Leafs.

Going into this playoffs I would say Washington and Boston are probably the 2 worst possible matchups for the Islanders(Tampa would rate 3rd)

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
My post was poorly written and not very clear.

The way I look at it is that the Isles lack a lot of high-end “offensive talent.” Additionally, I wasn’t even focused on that poster specifically. Moreover, I also wasn’t thinking of the Pens exclusively but various teams such as the Lightning, Leafs etc.

The following that I wrote was intended to convey exactly what your second paragraph addressed:

My opinion on the Islanders is that they have great depth of talent up and down the lineup that allows them to play as well as they have.

Random few examples:

Toews - excellent skating and vision​

Clutterbuck - surprisingly good at transitioning the puck with speed

Nelson - great shot, speed. Very good reads and defensive stick checks this series.

Barzal - often feels like a near guaranteed zone entry​

Basically, I feel I can go up and down the lineup and find top quality skill and abilities that allow the Isles to do very well in the unheralded aspects of Hockey.

Hope that’s a bit clearer. Cheers
We're on the same page.

Axel574

Dec 9, 2015
Barclay's is not likely to help out the Isles over the Nets. o the Isles could end up with a bad schedule.

Barclays is not the disaster it's painted as... the Islanders play well there and as a fan that attended all three games vs FLA a few years back I promise you it gets lively.

P.S. I was at game one at NVMC, it's insane. It's not close as a comparison but that's just a testament to the Barn and not a knock on Barclays.

Our fans rock!

hunter7isles

Feb 22, 2007
Yeah Eberle scored like 40 goals this series. Felt that way atleast.

And it’s always worth repeating: CHIA GAVE HIM AWAY FOR NOTHING.

Actually come to think of it Chia have the Isles both of them.

To be fair, Strome came with plenty of hype even if he hadn't been living up to it yet and Eberle was the exact opposite in the playoffs for the Oilers than the guy we saw this series for the Isles. Not all Isles fans were thrilled about the trade at the time, although the general consensus was Strome wasn't working out for us.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
I think one of the biggest factors in the series was the emergence of Eberle. He was debatably the best forward in a series full of names like Kessel, Crosby, Brazal, and Malkin. I always thought he could be be a big game performer based on his play at the World Jrs and was shocked how contained he was with the Oilers.

It looks like he’s finally playing like the Eberle everyone thought he could be. A late emergence but an emergence none the less. Whether he’s playing with a chip on his shoulder due to his poor performance in the playoffs with Edmonton, or playing for a contract... he looks scary out there.

Yeah, looking a lot like that cluch player we saw in the World jrs all those years ago. Maybe playoff type hockey suits him. Obviously not great last time with Edm but have to remember this is only is 2nd time in the big show. With EDM that year in playoffs he was playing behind the big guns so to speak. This time he is top line guy playing like a top line guy.

Reactions: Srsly

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
To be fair, Strome came with plenty of hype even if he hadn't been living up to it yet and Eberle was the exact opposite in the playoffs for the Oilers than the guy we saw this series for the Isles. Not all Isles fans were thrilled about the trade at the time, although the general consensus was Strome wasn't working out for us.

2018-19:
Eberle: 19-18-37
Strome: 19-16-35
:sarcasm:

But seriously, Strome is just another example of the Snow - Capuano / Weight era of butchering the development of young players.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
That Eberle trade is what’s putting them over the top. The guy is playing with an edge the Oilers never saw.

As a part time sens fan it’s also great to see Lehner so dominant. Loved him in Ottawa but he was never this good (has anyone ever been this good?)

America’s team does not have many faults right now. I’d be worried about drawing them in round 2.

Reactions: irunthepeg

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
It’s almost as if playing two defencemen who legitimately can not compete at the NHL level is a bad idea.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
That Eberle trade is what’s putting them over the top. The guy is playing with an edge the Oilers never saw.

As a part time sens fan it’s also great to see Lehner so dominant. Loved him in Ottawa but he was never this good (has anyone ever been this good?)

America’s team does not have many faults right now. I’d be worried about drawing them in round 2.

BountifulAgreeableArgentineruddyduck-size_restricted.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad