ECQF/MDSF: (M1) Washington Capitals vs (WC1) Carolina Hurricanes | WSH leads 2-1

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2008
NoVA
Oh man... so much excitement.

Attachments

• oshie-back-to-back-at-stanley-cup-parade-1024x576.jpg
    oshie-back-to-back-at-stanley-cup-parade-1024x576.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
The posts I read stating that the Caps are faster and that the Canes are the softest team in the p/o are not very informed. I will not say that the Canes are faster than the Caps nor that they hit more. I will say that the Canes are not soft at all, and that it is odd to see a team faster.

The Caps in 4 comments are funny. Every year. Same thing. The top teams will never lose, the teams that are not perennial p/o teams are evaluated on the 9 years of futility in this case. Since the new year, Canes have 60 points, Caps 48. Since March 1, Caps 24, Canes 24.

Not saying we win the series, but thinking the Caps have an easy draw in the Canes reveals ignorance.

3CanesInTheBox

Bunch of (actual) Jerks
Sponsor
Feb 22, 2019
Chatmandu
The Good News First: We finally know who we're playing!

The Bad News: It's the Defending Champs!

Lol, so that being said.

Canes in 3.

In all seriousness, my head tells me Caps in 6. My heart tells me Canes in 7. Since I'm allowed to be incredibly biased as a fan, I'll go Canes in 7.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The posts I read stating that the Caps are faster and that the Canes are the softest team in the p/o are not very informed. I will not say that the Canes are faster than the Caps nor that they hit more. I will say that the Canes are not soft at all, and that it is odd to see a team faster.

The Caps in 4 comments are funny. Every year. Same thing. The top teams will never lose, the teams that are not perennial p/o teams are evaluated on the 9 years of futility in this case. Since the new year, Canes have 60 points, Caps 48. Since March 1, Caps 24, Canes 24.

Not saying we win the series, but thinking the Caps have an easy draw in the Canes reveals ignorance.

Easy draw relatively speaking.

Caps vs Pens 1st round - probably Pens win
Caps vs Isles 1st round - probably 7 game suffocation Isles win
Caps vs Jackets 1st round - probably Jackets finally winning first series (or Kuzy doing the bird all series long) either way likely a brutal series with many injuries.

I'm not saying Canes are bad team but relatively they are a favorable matchup for the Caps, and the least hardest team out of Jackets, Pens, Isles, Canes.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Anyone thinking this is the same soft Canes team from the last decade is sadly mistaken. Not being soft is a big reason why we ended our drought in the first place. Canes don't get pushed around like they used to.

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
The past 2 decades should prove that the Caps are incapable of dominating teams when it looks like they should, so I'll say it takes them 6 games.

Glad to have you back in the postseason, Jerks.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Ahoy there

Always in control of my stick
Nov 10, 2018
NC via WI
Easy draw relatively speaking.

Caps vs Pens 1st round - probably Pens win
Caps vs Isles 1st round - probably 7 game suffocation Isles win
Caps vs Jackets 1st round - probably Jackets finally winning first series (or Kuzy doing the bird all series long) either way likely a brutal series with many injuries.

I'm not saying Canes are bad team but relatively they are a favorable matchup for the Caps, and the least hardest team out of Jackets, Pens, Isles, Canes.
That's fair. Caps puck possession has been maddening against us for most games this season. We have struggled to get setup and cycle against you. It will be very interesting to see how the Canes come out. Will they carry the nerves of finally making the dance after a decade or will they be loose? Obviously as the road team we're just wanting a split heading home.

PNC will be rocking, that's a guarantee

OviTaughtMe

Jun 17, 2013
PG County
Easiest team in the East. Caps in 4. Caps dodged like 3 bullets in last week. Jackets, Pens and Isles are much harder teams. If Caps can't beat the Canes they are a joke and Reirden should be fired. It's not going past 5 games. At least it shouldn't based on quality of the teams.

You’re a wild dude.

Reactions: calicapsfan

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Damn, Canes were 2 minutes away from facing the Isles. I really don't think they match up well against the Caps. Individual games should be close, and I could see Mrazek stealing a game, but I think it's ultimately Caps in 5 or 6. Canes are playing with house money now anyways so I'll just enjoy the ride

Reactions: DaveG and Tryamw

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Damn, Canes were 2 minutes away from facing the Isles. I really don't think they match up well against the Caps. Individual games should be close, and I could see Mrazek stealing a game, but I think it's ultimately Caps in 5 or 6. Canes are playing with house money now anyways so I'll just enjoy the ride

According to who? Fans? Team itself?

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
So here's the tale of the tape.

Washington is obviously the defending Cup champs, that's significant. Carolina on the other hand is going to have a lot of first-timers to the playoffs in this series. I mean a lot. Off the top of my head those players are Svechnikov, Martinook, Slavin, Pesce, Foegele, Fleury (assuming de Haan is out), Faulk, McGinn, Aho, and McKegg. Also Saku Maenalanen.

That's a lot of inexperience. On top of that guys like Jordan Staal, Dougie Hamilton, Michael Ferland, and Petr Mzraek either haven't seen playoff action in a while and/or haven't seen a lot of it to know what it's like to win a round. So that makes the challenging hill an even tougher climb.

So logic here would suggest Washington wins. They are the more experienced team, they are the defending champs, they swept us this season, and they've got Canes-killer Ovechkin. A Hurricanes series win would be a monumental upset. It's something my head says is unlikely.

My heart on the other hand says the scrappy young bunch of jerks can do it. So I'm going to be a total homer and say Canes in 7.

But on the real, as a Hurricanes fan I am right now just damn happy to finally have a team to watch compete for the Cup again. It's been way too long and it's great to finally get the young guys feet wet for future playoff runs. :nod:

Good luck and cheers Washington fans, heres to a terrific series. :cheers:

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He's asking if the Caps are the closest team to the Canes, not the other way around (i.e., which NHL team is the closest, geographically, to the Hurricanes?)

Ah. Reading comprehension is not my strong suit apparently.

That actually stinks for them during the season as they have to do a ton of long in division trips.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
1st in shots vs 2nd in shooting %, Caps PDO teams to death and Canes have 2nd worst PDO in playoffs, could be fun

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad