Post-Game Talk: ECQF GAME 7 - AIDEU TORONTO - FLORIDUH HERE WE COME - BRUINS 2 Toronto 1 F/OT - B's win series 4-3

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Proud of the Bruins. Despite what we think of the Leafs they were a worthy opponent. This wasn't an easy victory. Bruins earned this win. When the Leafs scored the Bruins persisted and tied the game up. Sway was a rock in this series. Without solid playoff goaltending your chances of advancing are minimal. Pasta was criticized but when the game was on the line he came through. The great thing is we get to continue watching playoff hockey.
In all fairness, when you play for a nutty city in what ever sport it is, there is tremendous pressure. Bruins are under it as well. I always say when free agents sign with those type of teams, get ready for it. In baseball you have Boston, New York, Philly. Hockey is Toronto, Montreal, Boston etc. it’s not easy to play in those cities. Toronto played good enough to win easily. Not sure they need to make crazy moves.

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Still, probably the most-nerve racking game of hockey I've ever watched. Bruins didn't repeat the 1st periods of Games 5 and 6 and played well throughout really. They played straight-line north-south hockey, lots of dump-ins, lots of board battles won and pucks won along the wall. Bruins defended the slot very well. Credit to the coaching staff for changing up the game plan and countering the Leaf's adjustments. And credit to the Leafs. Unlike 2013/2018/2019, I think they can actually take some positives out of this series.
It's really the only way to counter the Boucher style hockey, which I despise. You have to dump it in with speed, win your board battles, and once in the zone, get down below the goal line and create havoc, jam plays, wrap arounds, whip passes across the crease. Being cute on the perimeter and waiting for an open lane won't work.
And there is this guy named Pasta who got a lot of flak from fans and his own coach. Instead of being butt-hurt about his coaches comments, he takes it to heart but is also a professional and continues to bring that positive attitude to the table.
I was so happy for Pasta. I kind of felt bad for him because he really was affected by the coach's comments. He cared. But he handled it like a boss. No sulking, he just went out and played. I liked Cassidy as a coach, but now I can kinda see how you really need to reserve the "calling a player out" card for very rare occasions.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
You guys spot the 2 seconds Chris Kelly let himself show emotion? lol so funny. Dude is otherwise the iceman back there.

Him and Monty hugged a second and then Chris is like "ok enough, compose yourself" lol
IMG_4935.gif

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
The separation between the 2 teams was razor thin but in the end, Swayman was there, PK was great all series and thankfully Tavares is not captain material and I don't believe he ever had the intangibles required to push his teammates over the top.
If the Leafs had bought into the defensive system earlier in the series I think It’s a totally different outcome,and if Bert and Domi had left Brad alone earlier also should never poke the Bear .

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Brazeau is gonna go full Mason Marchment next year

I said this elsewhere but it is hilarious that this team went further than the Hall/Bergeron/Krejci/Orlov/Bertuzzi team did. Playoff hockey, you just never know!

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
It's really the only way to counter the Boucher style hockey, which I despise. You have to dump it in with speed, win your board battles, and once in the zone, get down below the goal line and create havoc, jam plays, wrap arounds, whip passes across the crease. Being cute on the perimeter and waiting for an open lane won't work.

Absolutely. Boucher-style is great at mitigating the east-west game, so you have to take it down low and just get hard and greasy.

I was so happy for Pasta. I kind of felt bad for him because he really was affected by the coach's comments. He cared. But he handled it like a boss. No sulking, he just went out and played. I liked Cassidy as a coach, but now I can kinda see how you really need to reserve the "calling a player out" card for very rare occasions.

It's a tactic that needs to be used the right time, right place, and right player. Never call out a player who you don't think will respond to it properly, it just piles on and makes things worse. Confidence is a fragile thing. Monty knew Pasta's attitude and he knew he would take the criticism like a pro and respond accordingly.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
If the Leafs had bought into the defensive system earlier in the series I think It’s a totally different outcome,and if Bert and Domi had left Brad alone earlier also should never poke the Bear .
Teams tend to need to be facing elimination to go all out look at how terrible we were up 3-1 game 5.

The play the got from Edmonson Lybushkin lillegrin and McCabe who combine for under 4 mil this series was crazy. If I’m them I’m trying to bring back the same exact group. Trading Marner for 2 overpaid 2nd pairing D men isn’t going to get better results. But it’s the Leafs maybe they’ll make a deal for Torrey Krug?

Mad-Marcus

Apr 26, 2002
Seacoast, NH
Marner for a starting goaltender is their only move that makes sense. Nylander proved a lot in his 3 games and say what you will about Matthews, he showed up and played great @ <100%.
Marner is a typical front runner. He'll never win anything. Too small and too light of a game for the Playoffs.

Boston BROin

Marchand makes u mad
Feb 29, 2008
NYC
This series was all Swayman. However, I also think Monty had a hand in this too. This was a team that over achieved all season. Including this series as they were out gunned on talent. For all those calling for Monty's head after game six, you might want to slow your role. Overtime was a set play. I keep telling myself the Bruins shouldn't be here right now and outside of Sway, Monty is why.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I think he needs to be with the same defense partner maybe someone who is a real defensive player.

Again, it's the old "fault of the players he plays with" argument.

McAvoy is talented enough to be able to play productively with any other defenseman. He's a horse. His game just needs to mature. I thought that process would have begun by now but seems to have taken a step back this season. He's trying to do more when he should actually be trying to do less.

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
Absolutely. Boucher-style is great at mitigating the east-west game, so you have to take it down low and just get hard and greasy.

It's a tactic that needs to be used the right time, right place, and right player. Never call out a player who you don't think will respond to it properly, it just piles on and makes things worse. Confidence is a fragile thing. Monty knew Pasta's attitude and he knew he would take the criticism like a pro and respond accordingly.
Your last sentence saved our season...Well said BD

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Brazeau is gonna go full Mason Marchment next year

I said this elsewhere but it is hilarious that this team went further than the Hall/Bergeron/Krejci/Orlov/Bertuzzi team did. Playoff hockey, you just never know!
Let not say it to hard.... but not the same goaltending! This year Swayman first round is at an exceptional level

Reactions: TCB

Lordstanley

MusicMan
Feb 10, 2010
From The Soul
Couple of questions for everyone. So we keep playing our brick wall until he loses or do we play him after a loss again...? What can this team do about their low face-off win percentage...because besides being on the soft side with hitting and contact....this is a major pitfall for this team right now going forward. Please don't kill the messenger...lol

Reactions: Gordoff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad