5 OR MORE IN 3 OF 4 GAMES

ONE OF THE TWO TEAMS HAS SCORED 5 GOALS IN EVERY GAME
MARIO LEMIEUX HAS 5 STANLEY CUPS
Sidney Crosby has 5 goals these playoffs
Evgeni Malkin & Brian Dumoulin have 5 points these playoffs

Kris Letang is +5 these playoffs
Matt Murray has 5 GA these playoffs
5x_zpsfncpgr8z.png

ELLIOT HAS BEEN SCORED ON THROUGH 5 HOLE (KESSEL)

152409184343498743_zpspmewlcgn.gif

152401064916112970%201_zpsvwosvbgz.png

PENGUINS
1. Josh Jooris healthy scratch.

2.. Matt Hunwick healthy scratch.
3... Carter Rowney is day-to-day with an upper body injury.
4.... Patric Hornqvist (day-to-day) due to an upper body injury.

FLYERS
1. Sean Couturier was injured at practice in a collision.

2..Robert Hagg could be a healthy scratch.
3... Taylor Leier could be a healthy scratch.
4....Dale Weise could be a healthy scratch.
5..... Johnny Oduya could be a healthy scratch.
6...... Michel Neuvirth, out since late March with a lower body injury, will rejoin the team as a reserve goalie.
7....... Petr Mrazek could be a healthy scratch as third-string net minder.
8........ Jordan Weal could replace Oskar Lindblom.
9......... Oskar Lindblom could be a healthy scratch or be re-inserted in lineup if Couturier is out..

Lines
28 Claude Giroux - 19 Nolan Patrick - 93 Jakub Voracek 11 Travis Konecny - 19 Nolan Patrick/51 Valtteri Filppula - 17 Wayne Simmonds
12 Michael Raffl - 51 Valtteri Filppula/21 Scott Laughton - 40 Jordan Weal
21 Scott Laughton/54 Oskar Lindblom - 15 Jori Lehtera - 24 Matt Read
Pairings
9 Ivan Provorov - 53 Shayne Gostisbehere
47 Andrew MacDonald - 6 Travis Sanheim
23 Brandon Manning - 3 Radko Gudas
Goalies
37 Brian Elliott

Last edited:

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
(CONTINUING FROM SERIES THREAD SINCE I WROTE A LONG RESPONSE AND THEN THE THING GOT CLOSED)

Serious question.

How close do Philly fans think this team is?

Yes, assume you fire your idiot coach and also for the sake of argument the replacement is a very good coach.

I was serious when I said that for the first time in half a century the team seems to have a plan that has more chance of success (meaning ultimately a cup) and is building the right way with a lot of talent in the pipeline and five kids getting their first playoff experience. That was a turning point for the Pens, for the first time in memory you could say 'Penguin hockey' and everyone knows what you mean. They had a plan and sought out players to make that plan work. The Flyers IMO have a better plan now and are seeking players to make it work.

Is it enough?

The reason that I ask is that Giroux is 30. Coots is young at 25 but Voracek is 28, not old but it depends on that window and when it realistically opens.

If I were a Flyers' fan my worry would be if the kids do not come up fast enough some of the current core may be beyond where they are now when they do come into their own. Giroux was found lower in the first but that is rare. Usually you need a top five pick to nail a top center.

Crosby and Malkin have just rounded into their 30's as well and we are talking a two or three year window with them, although they still will play and I am sure produce beyond. Will the kids be ready to you think while Giroux is still in his prime?

That's a complicated question.

Kessel/Crosby/Malkin put up 279 points this year. Giroux/Couturier/Voracek put up 263. That's surprisingly close! Two centers and a wing!

The problem isn't that the Flyers don't have the talent to make serious noise in the playoffs. It's that the chasm between the top end talent and the bottom is so big. And we'll include Provorov, Gostisbehere, and Konecny in that top echelon.

The Penguins wouldn't be where they were if their role playing forwards and bottom 4 looked as bad as the Flyers' did. Even still, their defense is mediocre. So declare it even between Letang/Schultz and Hornqvist, when comparing to Prov/Ghost/Konec. But if you just tore out Hagelin, Sheary, Sheahan, Rust, Dumoulin, Maatta, and now Oleksiak and Brassard and replaced those with Manning, MacDonald, Filppula, Gudas...the Penguins are a much worse team.

"Depth" isn't having a 2nd line for a 3rd line, it's having a good 2nd, 3rd, and 4th line. The Penguins have depth not because Sheary and Sheahan are incredible players, it's because they do their f***ing jobs.

I think Hextall has drug his feet for a bit. He's essentially declared that he doesn't have expectations by letting the likes of MacDonald see the NHL roster again (if you recall, he was buried in the AHL for most of the 2016 season-that was Hex's decision). Hextall knows Andrew MacDonald isn't an NHL defenseman, but he's put him back in the hands of a coach who thinks he's a 2nd pairing guy, which is scary.

And that's frustrating, because I think with some savvy moves the team is a lot closer. Look at the Ian Cole deal this year-sad as it is, he'd be the 3rd or 4th best defender on the team at this point. He cost Columbus half of what the Flyers paid for Mrazek. So if Hextall's serious about shoring up this team's flaws a bit, he could've done it that way, instead of a half-hearted deal for another flameout goalie.

I don't think CBJ is planning on winning a Cup, and if they are they sure as hell aren't going "Letestu and Cole are the missing pieces!" But they do give the team a better chance every night. And an important thing for young players is learning how to win. If Cole gave the kids a better shot at the playoffs, and then a better shot at the second round, he's worth it-he's helping bring in millions of revenue through a few more home playoff games and he's helping those younger guys get confidence.

I think the thing is, the resources are there. I think the team could be contending in 2 seasons if they wanted to be: They probably need to trade for or sign a legit 2nd pairing defenseman (even someone like Hickey or Moore is an upgrade over Manning/Gudas/Mac), a legit 3rd line center, a goalie (whether it's Hart or a stopgap) and clean the trash off the roster. They also need a coach that doesn't consolidate the team's talent and flaws.

But they already have the pieces to make some noise. They're just a black hole when those pieces aren't on the ice. And what's frustrating is that those decent players who could make the team a lot better aren't particularly expensive or hard to find.

So that's why all the "Aren't you surprised you made the playoffs!" and "Are you sure you'll still be able to compete while Giroux/Voracek are in their prime?" questions are annoying.

We should be able to compete while Giroux and Voracek are in their prime because WE HAVE f***ING GIROUX AND VORACEK IN THEIR PRIME. These aren't everyday players, these are legit NHL top end talent. Most teams aren't competing for a Cup because they don't have players like that.

There isn't a forward on the Minnesota Wild as good as Voracek, let alone Giroux. They have a strong defense, but Provorov is quickly becoming almost as good as Suter, and Dumba and Ghost have very different skill sets but probably equivalent value. Yet the Wild made the playoffs the last 6 years-and even won a round or two-because they have a solid goalie, a decent roster, and NHL coaching.

The Flyers have some truly elite talent, they just don't have the supporting cast or the coach. They don't need more Provorovs and Girouxs (although everyone wants those), they need Neiderreiters and Brodins.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I would surprised if Giroux didn't make an impact in this series before it's over. So I'm predicting he has a couple points tonight in the first close game of the series, 4-3 Pens.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Is couts out? If he is out then it's a done deal. If he is in...i can see it going another game.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

I fully expect Coots to play.

I also fully expect him to get walked by whoever matches up with him.

Sully has last change and can get the match up he wants to, and Coots is wearing a brace and will be tender and limited.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Honestly, as a fan of hockey in general, I hope Coots doesn't play if there's a serious risk of a major injury.

As a Pens fan, he would be a possible liability and making it easier is fine with me.

To the Flyers fans: You've got a hell of a player in Patrick. At 19, that kid is just fun to watch. Just my two cents, but I think building around him is the key.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Ready to wrap this series up. Looking forward to seeing how Hextall loads the team up this summer.

I expect
1) Hakstol's firing
2) 1 significant FA signing
3) One of our 1sts traded this draft to move up or for a winger.
4) Wayne Simmonds traded at the draft

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Ready to wrap this series up. Looking forward to seeing how Hextall loads the team up this summer.

I expect
1) Hakstol's firing

I guess that all depends. If they are committed to using Giroux as a winger again next year, a center would be a good get at the draft.

Though, I suppose that is tied to #1. The next coach may or may not use CG on wing ..though, after this season, it'd be hard to argue not doing it.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
3 games tonight. 3 teams will be dusting off their golf clubs tomorrow

Pens win the game 4-1 and the series 4-1

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I expect
1) Hakstol's firing

I think you'll see the Flyers best effort of the series tonight. Hopefully the Pens can match that, because there's a risk they might not feel the same sense of urgency knowing they have 2 more chances to close out the series even if they lose.

Reactions: BrindamoursNose

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I guess that all depends. If they are committed to using Giroux as a winger again next year, a center would be a good get at the draft.

Though, I suppose that is tied to #1. The next coach may or may not use CG on wing ..though, after this season, it'd be hard to argue not doing it.

Not really hurting for young scoring center depth, though, even if Giroux stays on the wing. They'll have Couturier (25), Patrick (19), and Frost (18) in the system for a while, with some potential in Vorobyev (21) and Rubtsov (20). As mentioned in the massive essay I posted above, they really need a veteran 3rd line center more than they need a future top 6 center, if they want to compete anytime soon.

I think it's important to realize that the rebuild is over. The prospects are in place at pretty much every position (though they could use another wing in there, which is the post you're responding to). It's about getting that youth into the lineup at the right time and complimenting it with good, smart trades and signings from here on out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad