Game 5?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
So the Leafs then had 59 and a half minutes to score and only did once without having to face Bergeron and you’re pinning that loss all on Andersen?

Are you guys really just afraid to criticize Matthews and co.? You know they’re probably not reading these boards right?

We'll probably all agree that a big save at the right moment is a huge momentum changer, right? We'll also probably agree that a goalie letting in a stinker at the wrong time can deflate a team, right?

Well, that's the problem this series. Whenever the leafs press hard and start gaining momentum, Rask is a wall. He's stopping breakaways and 2 on 1's left right and centre. Momentum changer. Then the Bruins skate up the ice and immediately score a weak goal on Andersen. Leafs become deflated. This has happened all series and it's why this is primarily Andersen's fault, more than anybody else.

In game 2, Andersen let in 3 of the Bruins first 4 shots. I mean... that's just ridiculous. Of course the leafs didn't put up much of a fight after that. I wouldn't either.

Then in game 4, a MUST win game for the leafs, Andersen let's in a bull**** goal in first 30 seconds on Bostons first ****ing shot. At that point, if I were playing for the leafs, I would simply go home. I would refuse to play in front of that horrible human being.

The ONE game where Andersen was at least solid (even though he let in a typical Andersen weak bull**** goal that game as well), the leafs actually won. Which just shows. If Andersen wasn't being a complete ****ing idiot all series, this would be MUCH closer than it currently is.

.880 vs .930

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Easier to blame the goalie than admit your team just isn't as good as it was cracked up to be. We already know the narrative we'll see from leaf fans all summer.
also easier for people like you to say the Leafs suck since it's what you hoped for
the thing is, facts support that goaltending was the biggest difference

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Easier to blame the goalie than admit your team just isn't as good as it was cracked up to be. We already know the narrative we'll see from leaf fans all summer.
Imagine asking someone this question. "Who would be more likely to win a playoff series? A team with a goalie with .880 save percentage? Or the team with a .930 save percentage?" I mean... it's a joke question. The answer is so obvious, people would think you're mocking them.

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
My point exactly. Andersen showed up for ONE game. Lo and behold... the leafs won that game. (And he STILL let in an entirely unacceptable goal that game as well).

Must win game 4, Andersen lets in a bull**** goal on Bostons first ****ing shot less than 30 seconds in to the ****ing game. Talk about deflating. Imagine Rask was letting in 3 goals on 4 shots? Letting in the first ****ing shot in a must win game 4? The one game you won is the one game Rask showed up? You really don't think you'd be blaming him? I don't believe you.

blaming andersen indicates you don't understand what you're watching. even the most hockey illiterate person can tell the leafs have the worst defensive structure from the forwards to the d in the league.

Reactions: Snowman

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Imagine asking someone this question. "Who would be more likely to win a playoff series? A team with a goalie with .880 save percentage? Or the team with a .930 save percentage?" I mean... it's a joke question. The answer is so obvious, people would think you're mocking them.
to be honest, it's hard to expect much from people who cheer for the Leafs to lose more than they cheer for their own team. it leads to a real lack of critical thinking to say the least

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
blaming andersen indicates you don't understand what you're watching. even the most hockey illiterate person can tell the leafs have the worst defensive structure from the forwards to the d in the league.
Yeah, the team with the worst defensive structure in the entire league finished 3rd in the east with 105 points.

What's the biggest difference between the regular season leafs and post season leafs?

A .920 save percentage changed to a .880 save percentage.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
We'll probably all agree that a big save at the right moment is a huge momentum changer, right? We'll also probably agree that a goalie letting in a stinker at the wrong time can deflate a team, right?

Well, that's the problem this series. Whenever the leafs press hard and start gaining momentum, Rask is a wall. He's stopping breakaways and 2 on 1's left right and centre. Momentum changer. Then the Bruins skate up the ice and immediately score a weak goal on Andersen. Leafs become deflated. This has happened all series and it's why this is primarily Andersen's fault, more than anybody else.

In game 2, Andersen let in 3 of the Bruins first 4 shots. I mean... that's just ridiculous. Of course the leafs didn't put up much of a fight after that. I wouldn't either.

Then in game 4, a MUST win game for the leafs, Andersen let's in a bull**** goal in first 30 seconds on Bostons first ****ing shot. At that point, if I were playing for the leafs, I would simply go home. I would refuse to play in front of that horrible human being.

The ONE game where Andersen was at least solid (even though he let in a typical Andersen weak bull**** goal that game as well), the leafs actually won. Which just shows. If Andersen wasn't being a complete ****ing idiot all series, this would be MUCH closer than it currently is.

.880 vs .930

If it’s really true, and I’m positive it’s not, that the Leafs quit playing in the first period of playoff games, then you have much bigger issues on your hands with your team than some poor goaltending.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

puckIuck

Jan 11, 2018
Yeah, the team with the worst defensive structure in the entire league finished 3rd in the east with 105 points.

What's the biggest difference between the regular season leafs and post season leafs?

A .920 save percentage changed to a .880 save percentage.

the leafs have been making the same terrible turnovers all season long but were bailed out by andersen/mcelhinney. the .880 is the result of not being bailed out. the stats show sooner or later the leafs bubble was about to pop.

Bread and Circuses

Smile and wave.
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2010
Somewhere in the middle
I still think the majority of the reason this series is in Boston's favor is due to vet presence.

Toronto has plenty of young talent, this level of play is a new thing to the majority if not all of those kids and the Leafs don't have even close to the playoff experienced vets the Bruins roster does to weather the storm when it matters most. All in all no matter what happens this is great playoff experience for the youth of either team, it will only make them stronger.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Rewatch the game. The leafs had around 10 "softie shots" from the point with traffic in front. Rask just easily saved them.

No they didn't. At least not a moving screen as perfectly executed as that of Nash. If they did, Rask got lucky 10 times, or the shots were shit, not much more.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
If it’s really true, and I’m positive it’s not, that the Leafs quit playing in the first period of playoff games, then you have much bigger issues on your hands with your team than some poor goaltending.
I wrote somewhere in this thread that I think a team full of veterans could possibly have fought through all of Andersen's momentum killing blunders.

But it's just too deflating for a team full of sophomores.

If Rask let in 3 shots on the first 4 shots, I'm pretty certain it would deflate Boston as well. If 2 games later Rask let in the first f***ing shot less than 30 seconds into a must win game... I'm sorry... but I think the Bruins would be pretty f***ing deflated as well.

Your goalie has made clutch save after clutch save without really letting in a real stinker all series. Goaltending like that inspires confidence in the players.

That's been the biggest difference. Again... the one game Andersen sort of showed up, the leafs actually won. Doesn't that say a lot?

.880 vs .930

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
the leafs have been making the same terrible turnovers all season long but were bailed out by andersen/mcelhinney. the .880 is the result of not being bailed out. the stats show sooner or later the leafs bubble was about to pop.

I've seen quite a few breakaways and 2 on 1's vs Rask as well. He just saves them.

With Andersen, I don't trust him to save a random bullshit shot from the point... let alone breakaways and 2 on 1's. It's been a clear difference.

You're making a rather strange argument. You seem to be implying that goaltending differences of .880 vs .930 don't make any difference in a series. Just seems like a strange argument.

I just don't get it. If Rask was letting in all of those softies (3 goals on first 4 shots, etc.), and Andersen was rock solid, I'd probably be ecstatic that it's our goalie who isn't shitting the bed, and I'd just be happy. I don't understand.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
No they didn't. At least not a moving screen as perfectly executed as that of Nash. If they did, Rask got lucky 10 times, or the shots were ****, not much more.
Here I am complimenting your goalie and his skill.

But if you just want to say that Rask is "luckier" (not better) than Andersen... fine. That's your argument to make. I guess the leafs are losing not to a better team standing on their goalie, but to a luckier team. That's your argument. Not mine.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Yup. Anderson was hung out to dry on both two on ones. It was like watching midget.
The leafs had two 2 on 1's before that. Rask just saved them. And made it look easy.

Also, Rask didn't let in the first f***ing shot less than 30 f***ing seconds into the game. Also, Rask didn't let in 3 of the first 4 shots 2 games ago.
Imagine he did? And then leaf fans tried arguing that it has nothing to do with Rask?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Not being bailed out? He let in 3 of the first 4 f***ing shots. We shouldn't expect better than that? The first f***ing shot in less than 30 f***ing seconds went in. We shouldn't expect better?

I would love to see Boston playing from behind because Rask kept letting in all of these softies. I think it would break their spirit as well. It would break any teams spirit.

I mean, you're acting like goaltending doesn't matter at all. .880 vs .930 is pretty extreme. How could we possibly not give some credit to Rask an some blame to Andersen?

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I'd say impressive relative to the rest of the Leafs. Offensively. In the last two games.
We'll disagree.

He has been engaged in all facets of the game in all 4 games.

And that's from someone who had strong doubts about him in October and November.

That might have been sophomore season jitters, but he really looked lost during that first third of the season.

Then he woke up.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Watching the few Leaf games that I did during the season it looked like Anderson was standing on his head stopping 40 shots each game. Anderson was a big reason the Leafs made the playoffs it seams now he's garbage?

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Watching the few Leaf games that I did during the season it looked like Anderson was standing on his head stopping 40 shots each game. Anderson was a big reason the Leafs made the playoffs it seams now he's garbage?

He was absolutely amazing during many stretches of the regular season. Everybody applauded him while he was amazing.

But these playoffs he's been hot garbage and the main reason we're losing. So we're criticizing his play while he's playing like hot garbage.

How is this confusing?

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

Pretty much, I'm not exactly sure what it is. He has longer streaks of being very good but mini streaks of being completely awful. When he's on, he is battling through screens to get vision of the puck and not actively flailing around in the net making poor reads and giving give-me's. A lot of his skills are sustainable.....he plays angles well, he squares up well....but when he's not going well, from my experience, you can tell he's not fighting past screens to see the puck and overcompensating severely with his movement in the net. He's best when he's competitive, battles, and plays with poise.

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
The leafs had two 2 on 1's before that. Rask just saved them. And made it look easy.

Also, Rask didn't let in the first ****ing shot less than 30 ****ing seconds into the game. Also, Rask didn't let in 3 of the first 4 shots 2 games ago.
Imagine he did? And then leaf fans tried arguing that it has nothing to do with Rask?
Did Boston's defense play the 2 on 1s as bad as the leafs? Just because Andersen didn't bail out handicap defensive plays, doesn't mean he's not doing his part. He's a fine goalie playing behind a bunch of losers who can't play D.

Fossy21

Nobel Prize Deke
Mar 14, 2013
Here I am complimenting your goalie and his skill.

But if you just want to say that Rask is "luckier" (not better) than Andersen... fine. That's your argument to make. I guess the leafs are losing not to a better team standing on their goalie, but to a luckier team. That's your argument. Not mine.

It's not my argument, nice strawman, though. My argument is that you're wrong and vastly overvaluing your team's scoring chances as well as their finish (which is near-nonexistent). Rask is a great goalie as well, nothing to argue about there. Andersen has owned the Bruins traditionally, but he's not a Quick or (old) Lundqvist level goalie who can just win games at will in the playoffs with little to no help from the players in front of him. Boston's team D has been much better than Toronto's, and has helped Rask get clearer looks even on the actually good scoring chances the Leafs have had.

If I get to choose between a bad angle snipe to the roof of the net on my fully screened goalie or a clear breakaway or 2-on-1, I'll take the latter everytime. The latter comes down to the goalie's skill, collectedness and mental facilities. The former comes down to make yourself big and hope you get hit by something resembling a puck. Of course, when your abysmal d-men turn two of those 2-on-1's into 2-on-0's in the same game, it probably won't matter.

Not being bailed out? He let in 3 of the first 4 ****ing shots. We shouldn't expect better than that? The first ****ing shot in less than 30 ****ing seconds went in. We shouldn't expect better?

I would love to see Boston playing from behind because Rask kept letting in all of these softies. I think it would break their spirit as well. It would break any teams spirit.

I mean, you're acting like goaltending doesn't matter at all. .880 vs .930 is pretty extreme. How could we possibly not give some credit to Rask an some blame to Andersen?

Ever thought that your team's shitty D has broken Andersen's spirit? Rielly had one of the worst games ever in game 1, possession-wise. Zaitsev has been the cause of like 6-7 goals against. That's not good enough.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad