ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3-2

Who ya got?! Caps or CBJ?

• WSH (sweep)

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • CBJ (sweep)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • WSH (in 5)

Votes: 96 13.0%
  • CBJ (in 5)

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • WSH (in 6)

Votes: 232 31.4%
  • CBJ (in 6)

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • WSH (in 7)

Votes: 114 15.4%
  • CBJ (in 7)

Votes: 125 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
It's because of the high skill level of the Jackets. They can get on you and make you pay at any time in a game. The Caps are working hard but their lack of high-end talent is what's holding them back.

The caps have 3 players (ovi, kuznetsov, backstrom) who all have equal or higher talent than the Jackets player - Panarin (who has been absolutely outstanding so far mind you). As well, Carlson and Oshie are both on the same talent level as Jones and Dubois/Atkinson.

The caps as a whole have a lot of problems right now, but a 'lack' of high-end talent most certainly isn't one of them.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yes The CBJ are horrible. Winning 14 out of 17 to end the season and the first two is completely reliant upon the CBJ being horrible. Paneran was greatly affected by playing with Kane. He is much worse now. Dubois has been a total bust as a draft pick. Keep sending it . The team and fan base thrive off of it.

They're 4 of 8 on the PP despite being at 17% during the regular season. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
They're 4 of 8 on the PP despite being at 17% during the regular season. Enjoy it while it lasts.

There are some great stats that show how much improved the Jackets' PP was over the last half of the season (top 8? with Vanek).

But that info aside, it's pretty nice to see your team kick it into a higher gear when the games really count. Wouldn't you agree?

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The caps have 3 players (ovi, kuznetsov, backstrom) who all have equal or higher talent than the Jackets player - Panarin (who has been absolutely outstanding so far mind you). As well, Carlson and Oshie are both on the same talent level as Jones and Dubois/Atkinson.

The caps as a whole have a lot of problems right now, but a 'lack' of high-end talent most certainly isn't one of them.
DSL was being his usual sarcastic self. The point is that the theme of this thread so far has been, by and large, about not giving the Jackets credit for anything at all and instead insisting that some mysterious Washington malaise is the sole and exclusive reason for the series being 2-0 Jackets. There've been exceptions to that, but they're in the minority.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Eh I'm not sure I agree with this take. On the back end, yea Cbus is way better than Washington.

But up front the teams are comparable. Bob has been slightly better than the Washington goalies and that's been the slight difference so far.

This.

The series is obviously close, two OT games, each could have gone either the way. Each team has been undisciplined, frustratingly so at times. Each teams' PP has over-performed, or the opposing PK under-performed.

The simplest explanation as to why CBJ is up two games is pretty simple to see:
Bobrovsky > Grubauer/Holtby.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Eh I'm not sure I agree with this take. On the back end, yea Cbus is way better than Washington.

But up front the teams are comparable. Bob has been slightly better than the Washington goalies and that's been the slight difference so far.

But it's true that the Caps have carried play for significant stretches of both games, yet have come up short, surrendering goals against as the Jackets high-end skill makes the most of opportunities its creating for itself. Meanwhile, the Caps are grinding but you can just tell they don't have enough to keep up with the Jackets' talent.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
There's more to it than just the goalies. For some reason for the last twenty years, regardless of players or coaches, most of Washington's hockey smarts simply goes out the window come playoff time.

Didn't see the whole games but what I did see was the Caps being extraordinarily stupid with penalties, turnovers, etc. Pretty even talent-wise but not mentally.

And their inability to get things done at home. 1-5 or 1-6 in their last few there? Bad.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
There's more to it than just the goalies. For some reason for the last twenty years, regardless of players or coaches, most of Washington's hockey smarts simply goes out the window come playoff time.

Didn't see the whole games but what I did see was the Caps being extraordinarily stupid with penalties, turnovers, etc. Pretty even talent-wise but not mentally.

And their inability to get things done at home. 1-5 or 1-6 in their last few there? Bad.

Well last night Torts/CBJ didn't exactly employ the bastion of "Smart hockey", preferring to turtle the 3rd period and almost choked up the lead in doing so. CBJ was very lucky and Bob had much to do with how the 3rd and OT went

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Well last night Torts/CBJ didn't exactly employ the bastion of "Smart hockey", preferring to turtle the 3rd period and almost choked up the lead in doing so. CBJ was very lucky and Bob had much to do with how the 3rd and OT went

But that's been exactly what people expected, that the Jackets aren't always the most hard-working or diligent team but their high-end skill allows them to overcome it. And it's not like it's been a secret the Bobrovsky is a playoff demon and that the Caps' grinders would have difficult solving him.

Reactions: We Want Ten

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
There are some great stats that show how much improved the Jackets' PP was over the last half of the season (top 8? with Vanek).

But that info aside, it's pretty nice to see your team kick it into a higher gear when the games really count. Wouldn't you agree?

Of course, seeing how my team has won a playoff series before.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC

Carlson on the same talent level as Jones LMAO.

And I really like Carlson too.

But Jones is just that damn good

Reactions: PensandCaps

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Tied with Caps at 6th in the league and 25% conversion rate since Feb 26th:

NHL.com - Stats

I expect PP opportunities for both teams to drop off significantly in Columbus, which will be tough on Caps comeback chances. Even strength goals are 5-2 in Jackets favor.

Bobcat110

Feb 11, 2004
Central Ohio

Yes...Torts game plan was to give Caps 4 PPs in 3rd period. Very discouraging for Caps fans. They won't get another game like that in the series and now have to figure out away to beat Jackets 5on5.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The Caps were somehow a minimal pressure top seeded team with no expectations and have still found a way to lose in heartbreaking fashion. If they lose this series I don't see how you can't drastically shake things up, or at least attempt to.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017

Carlson (28 years old) just put up 11 more points (as a defenseman) than Jones (23 years old), Carlson has been outstanding this season (so has Jones). But to say that they aren't on the same level is pushing it. I truly expect Jones to surpass Carlson next season going forward, but Carlson is a more experienced player who put up one of the best offensive seasons of any D-man in the NHL this year.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
And an added note on Panarin vs Backstrom, OV, Kuzy..

As a Ranger fan I've probably seen the most of Capitals playoff hockey of anyone on this board other than Caps fans themselves.

Last night in the OT I saw Panarin make an incredible play in the defensive zone, single handedly stripped Connoly and then cleared the puck on a backhand all in one fell swoop.

I don't think I've ever seen OV make a play like that. As a matter of fact, I know I haven't.

Or else the Caps would have gotten out of the 2nd round long ago.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013

As a Caps fan I don't watch CBJ as much as I do the Caps, so I hesitate to comment on your players. But, from what I've seen, I'd agree with you that to say that Carlson = Jones is laughable.

Carlson is the best D-man the Caps have and that's mostly because of his offensive numbers, which should be good given that he's usually the one feeding Ovie on the PP one-timers. His defense is spotty, at best. He was shielded for years by being paired with Alzner, who was a steady stay-at-home defenseman who covered up for Carlson's glaring mistakes.

He's a UFA and a lot of Caps fans fear that management will panic and pay him market rate and we'kk be stuck with yet another over-priced under=performing defenseman. We can add him to the Niskanen/Orpik collection.

Reactions: Kington91
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad