ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3-2

Who ya got?! Caps or CBJ?

• WSH (sweep)

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • CBJ (sweep)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • WSH (in 5)

Votes: 96 13.0%
  • CBJ (in 5)

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • WSH (in 6)

Votes: 232 31.4%
  • CBJ (in 6)

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • WSH (in 7)

Votes: 114 15.4%
  • CBJ (in 7)

Votes: 125 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
And an added note on Panarin vs Backstrom, OV, Kuzy..

As a Ranger fan I've probably seen the most of Capitals playoff hockey of anyone on this board other than Caps fans themselves.

Last night in the OT I saw Panarin make an incredible play in the defensive zone, single handedly stripped Connoly and then cleared the puck on a backhand all in one fell swoop.

I don't think I've ever seen OV make a play like that. As a matter of fact, I know I haven't.

Or else the Caps would have gotten out of the 2nd round long ago.

I agree that Ovechkin probably doesn't make the play that you are referring to - that's true.
I agree that the Caps haven't made it out of the second round - that's true.
I don't agree that the two are related. I think they are true-true and unrelated.
The Caps playoff failures are less of a reflection on Ovie's play than people think. If you want to argue that it's a reflection of his leadership, since he wears the "C", I think that case can be made. But he's close to a point per game playoff performer. The lack of playoff success is more attributable to the play of his teammates than the play of Ovechkin, and ....... to a lack of leadership, which Ovechkin shares a larger blame for.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
I agree that Ovechkin probably doesn't make the play that you are referring to - that's true.
I don't agree that the two are related. I think they are true-true and unrelated.
The Caps playoff failures are less of a reflection on Ovie's play than people think. If you want to argue that it's a reflection of his leadership, since he wears the "C", I think that case can be made. But he's close to a point per game playoff performer. The lack of playoff success is more attributable to the play of his teammates than the play of Ovechkin, and ....... to a lack of leadership, which Ovechkin shares a larger blame for.

Yeah, he's nearly point per game. But where are the big goals in big moments? 2013? The Caps had a chance to close out that series and instead they got shutout b2b in Games 6 and 7.

2015 he scores on Lundqvist in Game 1 and then chirps him with the infamous "all series baby"... And then proceeds to score ONE goal the rest of the series. And was largely invisible in Game 5 and 6 of that series too.

Yesterday Crosby got that quick goal for the Pens and that set the tone for the rest of the game. If there was any doubt amongst the Pens after the horrid loss in Game 2, He shut that shit down real quick

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

CarolinaBlueJacket

Mar 3, 2011
North Carolina
As a Caps fan I don't watch CBJ as much as I do the Caps, so I hesitate to comment on your players. But, from what I've seen, I'd agree with you that to say that Carlson = Jones is laughable.

Carlson is the best D-man the Caps have and that's mostly because of his offensive numbers, which should be good given that he's usually the one feeding Ovie on the PP one-timers. His defense is spotty, at best. He was shielded for years by being paired with Alzner, who was a steady stay-at-home defenseman who covered up for Carlson's glaring mistakes.

He's a UFA and a lot of Caps fans fear that management will panic and pay him market rate and we'kk be stuck with yet another over-priced under=performing defenseman. We can add him to the Niskanen/Orpik collection.

I don't watch enough of the Caps to really comment on someone like Carlson other than to say that he would be a great add to any team, at the right price of course.

I will say after watching tons of Jackets games that even though Jones and Werenski have identical offensive numbers, I would take Jones in a second because of his defensive abilities. Werenski is not a slouch but Jones' defensive work puts him in elite territory. Jones is a couple of years ahead of Werenski so hopefully Zach will catch him and hopefully the Jackets can keep both.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

Kington91

Apr 30, 2012
Grandview Heights
It takes a lot more than a 1-2 punch. Panarin is a helluva player. He's not quite in the Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin, McDavid tier. Jones is becoming a top 5 -10 defenseman. Teams that can win through sheer skill have more than that.
Well... yeah. Obviously. Jones and Panarin aren't the only players with skill on our team, that isn't what he was insinuating.

nothingbeatshockey

May 3, 2013
Yeah, he's nearly point per game. But where are the big goals in big moments? 2013? The Caps had a chance to close out that series and instead they got shutout b2b in Games 6 and 7.

2015 he scores on Lundqvist in Game 1 and then chirps him with the infamous "all series baby"... And then proceeds to score ONE goal the rest of the series. And was largely invisible in Game 5 and 6 of that series too.

Yesterday Crosby got that quick goal for the Pens and that set the tone for the rest of the game. If there was any doubt amongst the Pens after the horrid loss in Game 2, He shut that **** down real quick

In 2015, the Cap only scored 12 goals in 7 games, so Ovechkin only had 1/6th of his teams' goals and was even +/- for the series, so I'm not sure what you're going for, other than to hit him for trash-talking.

My larger point was that you tied Ovechkin's inability to make the play Panarin made as the reason the Caps can't get out of the second round, and my response was that this more of a team's failure than any one individual's failure.

As for comparing Crosby and Ovechkin, stop. Compare anyone to Crosby in the playoffs and they come up short, except maybe the Toews of a couple of years ago. And I can't stand Crosby.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
There is a lot of series left. I don’t know if you can narrow down the results of the last two games down to one factor. It has been two overtime games... It has been extremely close.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Yesterday Crosby got that quick goal for the Pens and that set the tone for the rest of the game. If there was any doubt amongst the Pens after the horrid loss in Game 2, He shut that **** down real quick

Ovechkin scored early too. Twice. His team's goalie simply wasn't good.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Torts is a solid motivator. He should have CBJ avoiding a huge let down better than most. Could still happen, but I like the Jackets to help fold the Caps like a cheap tent

Jackets Fan

Mar 28, 2014
Central Ohio
Was it 50%? Because if not then they're playing over their heads and will regress. And with both games going to OT that makes a big difference.

Was the Caps power play 50% as well?
Both teams are over their heads in that regard by your logic then. It’s only been 2 games ffs. Of course it will regress

Sounds like sour grapes to me

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
These teams are pretty even, but they don't have that much of a chance to win the cup.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Was it 50%? Because if not then they're playing over their heads and will regress. And with both games going to OT that makes a big difference.
And the Capitals scoring chances will dry up if the Jackets play a more disciplined game. They've had 13 pp opportunities in 2 games and 5/7 of their goals in the series have come on the PP.

Where as the 5 out of the 9 Jackets goals have come 5v5.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
And the Capitals scoring chances will dry up if the Jackets play a more disciplined game. They've had 13 pp opportunities in 2 games and 5/7 of their goals in the series have come on the PP.

Where as the 5 out of the 9 Jackets goals have come 5v5.
It's pretty crazy that the Jackets are giving up a lot of PP opportunities, the Caps' PP is clicking, and they're still down 2 games.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Louis Gilmour

Apr 16, 2018
OK but as a believer in the importance of the C and of the responsibilities that come with it, i would say that in your last sentence what you see as two independent factors are two things that are very closely related

Tuna Tatarrrrrr

Here Is The Legendary Rat Of HFBoards! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 13, 2012
The Capitals will always be a mystery to me. How can this team be so dominant in the regular season and so lame in playoffs.

And Ovechkin, what does the 'C' on your sweater stand for? Selfish? :rolleyes:

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Well it was bad. It was exactly the same as the Capitals. I guess they will regress together.

Both were 25% and this series both are at 50%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad