ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3-2

Who ya got?! Caps or CBJ?

• WSH (sweep)

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • CBJ (sweep)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • WSH (in 5)

Votes: 96 13.0%
  • CBJ (in 5)

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • WSH (in 6)

Votes: 232 31.4%
  • CBJ (in 6)

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • WSH (in 7)

Votes: 114 15.4%
  • CBJ (in 7)

Votes: 125 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Still don't get why the Caps didn't start Holtby to begin with. I know he had a ****ty season but he's a great playoffs goalie. Seems stupid not to at least give him the start and then pull him if you have to.

Well Go Caps!
Because they wanted to avoid Holtby vs Pens at all costs

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
I know, I know. Just poking fun at my own unrelenting, un-explainable devotion to this heart-breaking franchise.

Columbus is just an innocent bystander in all of this. They better make like a bunny and get the **** out of the way.

Hey, I'm a 17 year-old Oilers fan who decided like 9 years ago that his second team would be the Caps and has supported the regular season Oilers and playoff Caps since.

While you may have me beat on pure length, I think I've got you beat in terms of being devoted to heart-breaking franchises. I missed the Oilers cup final run by just a couple years (wasn't living in Edmonton and wasn't a hockey fan).

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Hey, I'm a 17 year-old Oilers fan who decided like 9 years ago that his second team would be the Caps and has supported the regular season Oilers and playoff Caps since.

While you may have me beat on pure length, I think I've got you beat in terms of being devoted to heart-breaking franchises. I missed the Oilers cup final run by just a couple years (wasn't living in Edmonton and wasn't a hockey fan).

I hope you don't ask for an official measurement. Hey, at least 9 years ago neither one of us randomly decided to support the BJs. Talk about disappointment, 'm I right?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Still don't get why the Caps didn't start Holtby to begin with. I know he had a ****ty season but he's a great playoffs goalie. Seems stupid not to at least give him the start and then pull him if you have to.

Well Go Caps!
a.) Grubauer deserved his shot, I think, I don't know that you could have predicted that his glove would implode.
b.) the alternative (above) is worse if Holtby started and needed to be pulled. Then you either let Grubauer go down with the ship, or risk a blow to Holtby's confidence and then try to go back after a reset.

Letting Holtby come in the way he did let the expectations stay a little lower, I think, which helped him settle in.

Bladerunner

Aug 12, 2009
N VA
I've said it before and I'll say it again. A series pitting the two very best teams at choking in the playoffs. The "winner" gets the privilege of being spanked by the penguins.
Pitt is playing a Philly team with bad goal tending, maybe the worst in the playoffs.

If Holtby plays like he's playing now, I wouldn't be so haughty. Of course you can count on the refs as a backup, I understand :p:

Drakon

Mar 31, 2014
You mentioning the caps making a mistake by letting alzner go shows what you know about hockey. Game day thread locked so cant quote it. Alzner will be orpik for the habs. He was a great dman here but his body is used up. No way they could give him a contract. One of smartest moves the caps made in a while.
Yeah, I really liked Alzner, but between the sports hernia and the nerve damage where his hands shake when he's at rest from all the shot blocking, he's in a bad way. I'm surprised he passed a physical to be honest.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
You mentioning the caps making a mistake by letting alzner go shows what you know about hockey. Game day thread locked so cant quote it. Alzner will be orpik for the habs. He was a great dman here but his body is used up. No way they could give him a contract. One of smartest moves the caps made in a while.

Not a chance, Orpik is at least servicable in sheltered minutes. Alzner couldn't even do that by the end of his tenure.

He's essentially Brooks Laich 2.0 now.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Washington would have likely swept if Trotz hadn't started Grubauer two games.

I still maintain it was a foolish thing to do. Holtby's a playoff beast. I don't care how much he struggled in the regular season, you ride your proven guys in the playoffs. Trotz going with the "hot hand" put his team in a 0-2 hole, which Holtby has since dug them out of.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium

I still maintain it was a foolish thing to do. Holtby's a playoff beast. I don't care how much he struggled in the regular season, you ride your proven guys in the playoffs. Trotz going with the "hot hand" put his team in a 0-2 hole, which Holtby has since dug them out of.

Yep.

Maybe not a sweep, but a 3-1 lead for sure. G2 Gruby was not very good.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orpik has provided what the Caps hired him for. Holtby has been great. Let's not forget Carlson and Ov and Backstrom

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007

Revisionist History 101 is in session...

Who’s to say that the elite Holtby would have been there game one? What if he wasn’t and we were already back to Grubauer and then back to Holtby at this point? Maybe the Caps would have already been swept? Guess what? We’ll never know.

Also, what message does that send to the team if Trotz does that? “Yeah, Grubauer’s clearly earned it but we’re going with Holtby because I’m scared about my job and, oh yeah, prior season’s successes?” Maybe the team in front of the goaltender loses a little buy-in if they see their coach make that call.

Not to mention that Holtby essentially melted down early in the Pens series last playoffs and was never really right again since.

Starting with Grubauer was the right call at the time. The results started playing out and Holtby was fairly given a shot to take over. He’s responded marvelously. Now he’s gotta keep doing it.

The situation is fluid in the playoffs. Perhaps Trotz and the Caps are finally figuring that out...perhaps not. The team would be wise to keep rolling with the punches as they come and stay on top of the curve - something they’ve failed to do in the past. I think the Grubauer/Holtby situation is actually indicative of a coach who’s finally warming up to thinking on his toes come playoff time. I see it as a positive, but who knows?

I guess we’re about to find out.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Orpik has provided what the Caps hired him for. Holtby has been great. Let's not forget Carlson and Ov and Backstrom

Orpik is a shadow of his former self. Better than expected the last 2 games I grant you, but he’ll revert to his “old” (broken down) form sooner rather than later.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Revisionist History 101 is in session...

Who’s to say that the elite Holtby would have been there game one? What if he wasn’t and we were already back to Grubauer and then back to Holtby at this point? Maybe the Caps would have already been swept? Guess what? We’ll never know.

Also, what message does that send to the team if Trotz does that? “Yeah, Grubauer’s clearly earned it but we’re going with Holtby because I’m scared about my job and, oh yeah, prior season’s successes?” Maybe the team in front of the goaltender loses a little buy-in if they see their coach make that call.

Not to mention that Holtby essentially melted down early in the Pens series last playoffs and was never really right again since.

Starting with Grubauer was the right call at the time. The results started playing out and Holtby was fairly given a shot to take over. He’s responded marvelously. Now he’s gotta keep doing it.

The situation is fluid in the playoffs. Perhaps Trotz and the Caps are finally figuring that out...perhaps not. The team would be wise to keep rolling with the punches as they come and stay on top of the curve - something they’ve failed to do in the past. I think the Grubauer/Holtby situation is actually indicative of a coach who’s finally warming up to thinking on his toes come playoff time. I see it as a positive, but who knows?

I guess we’re about to find out.

Every word of this. Saved me a lot of time

Reactions: Daisy Ridley

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Orpik is a shadow of his former self. Better than expected the last 2 games I grant you, but he’ll revert to his “old” (broken down) form sooner rather than later.

If you insist. Facts remain that Orpik has provided what MacLellan signed him to do successfully.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad