ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3-2

Who ya got?! Caps or CBJ?

• WSH (sweep)

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • CBJ (sweep)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • WSH (in 5)

Votes: 96 13.0%
  • CBJ (in 5)

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • WSH (in 6)

Votes: 232 31.4%
  • CBJ (in 6)

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • WSH (in 7)

Votes: 114 15.4%
  • CBJ (in 7)

Votes: 125 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
That's why games are won on the ice, not a calculator and decimal points.

Few questions. Who determines when a "scoring chance" or "high danger scoring chance" has occurred? What is the difference between the 2? Would the Caps being the home team 2 out of 3 (66.6666%) games possibly affect these number in any way?

I find it interesting that the "high danger scoring chance" numbers are by far the most lopsided, and it happens to be the number that is the most affected by outside interpretation. 36-17 doesn't seem accurate to me. But that leaves us a couple more questions about these "high danger" scoring chances or scoring chances in general. Game 3, the CBJ hit how many posts? 4...5? Literally. Were all these considered "high danger" scoring chances let alone regular scoring chances? 17 is 5.6666 "high danger" chances a game. Less than 2 a period AND that's NOT including OT. Doesn't add up.

What about this goal? Dreaded wrist shot, definitely not a "high danger" area right? If it didn't go in, would it even be considered a "scoring chance"? IF this missed the net it would barely register statistically in any way. It was a key goal to win a game.

As has been noted by MANY, the CBJ's 1st line, and most importantly ARTEMI PANARIN have been eating your team up 5 on 5. I'll trust what my eyes see. WASH outplayed the CBJ in game 2 though, congrats.

"High danger scoring chance" is based on the location the shot was taken from. End of definition

NHLOHL-shot-distribution-by-danger-zone.png

The fact that a puck hits the post, doesn't change it's original probability of going in based on shot location. You can map an expected SH% vs location on the ice of where a shot was taken. This fact alone removes much of the value of Corsi/FF, etc in hockey (because all shots don't have equal expected SH%). Technically, a post ringer shouldn't even be recorded as a shot (or high danger scoring chance) because the goalie did not have to do anything to prevent it from being a goal. Also don't confuse HDSC with the very subjective "scoring chance" that they show on broadcasts. "Scoring chances" are just judgmental with no true objectivity or real analytical value. The HDSC is taken via the NHL's shot location data...the accuracy which could be argued, but outside of this convo.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I guess it really was all about goaltending blips and unsustainable special teams trends.

3 game series now

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

Zazzaro703

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Tahoe
Sorry Jacket fans but I said it before the series.... our destiny this year lies with losing a soul crushing series to the Pens cementing their run to their 3rd straight cup. Their cups this generation always go through DC round 2 and they sure looked primed to make a serious run at another one.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
I've seen these before. Home team wins games 5, 6, 7.

You mentioning the caps making a mistake by letting alzner go shows what you know about hockey. Game day thread locked so cant quote it. Alzner will be orpik for the habs. He was a great dman here but his body is used up. No way they could give him a contract. One of smartest moves the caps made in a while.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Third time's the charm against Pittsburgh imo. But first gotta win two more. Go Caps!

Hahahahahaha! Third time!

Sit down, young man. Let me tell you a story that'll crush your wingy and shrivel your thingy. The year was 1991....

gullible1

Jun 8, 2017
I've said it before and I'll say it again. A series pitting the two very best teams at choking in the playoffs. The "winner" gets the privilege of being spanked by the penguins.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Still don't get why the Caps didn't start Holtby to begin with. I know he had a shitty season but he's a great playoffs goalie. Seems stupid not to at least give him the start and then pull him if you have to.

Well Go Caps!

Reactions: ujju2

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Of course I was referring to this core group.
I know, I know. Just poking fun at my own unrelenting, un-explainable devotion to this heart-breaking franchise.

Columbus is just an innocent bystander in all of this. They better make like a bunny and get the **** out of the way.

Reactions: ujju2
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad