ECQF: (1) Washington Capitals vs. (WC1) Columbus Blue Jackets | Caps Lead Series 3-2

Who ya got?! Caps or CBJ?

• WSH (sweep)

Votes: 20 2.7%
  • CBJ (sweep)

Votes: 6 0.8%
  • WSH (in 5)

Votes: 96 13.0%
  • CBJ (in 5)

Votes: 16 2.2%
  • WSH (in 6)

Votes: 232 31.4%
  • CBJ (in 6)

Votes: 129 17.5%
  • WSH (in 7)

Votes: 114 15.4%
  • CBJ (in 7)

Votes: 125 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Look at Backstroms point totals. Look at the caliber of hockey clubs. Sid is 3rd in points on his own team.
I'd take Backstrom any day to play with Crosby over who hes been playing with. Are you going to honestly say that one of Guentzel, Sheary or Rust are better players than Nick Backstrom? Lol. Sign off for the night. You're embarrassing yourself.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I'd take Backstrom any day to play with Crosby over who hes been playing with. Are you going to honestly say that one of Guentzel, Sheary or Rust are better players than Nick Backstrom? Lol. Sign off for the night. You're embarrassing yourself.
Sid's only playing with them because he couldn't mesh with Kessel, who beat him in points.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
to get back to your A point from the previous post: He has shown flashes of elite passing, and strong hitting, but those have never been consistent. You'll see a great pass here and there and a strong hit, but again, those have become rarer and rarer. and to your C point, his character of the ice doesn't mean anything, unless its clearly detrimental, to leading a team. I have watched ovechkin forever, he has never had a leadership quality about him. He is one hell of a scorer, but that is about all i can say for him. simply scoring does not equate to strong leadership and strong locker room presence. Just because he scores a **** ton, does not grant him leadership qualities.

But to this point, who is the person that is supposed to motivate the team when they're underperforming? rile up the boys? chat to the coach about what's going wrong? I understand there have been other issues with caps playoffs teams, but averting all blame from ovechkin doesnt cut it. A strong leader makes his team better, makes the players around him better. Ovechkin has had teams with issues come playoff time, but it is on him to make up for the mistakes. the caps have won the presidents trophy what, like 4 times in the Ovi era? if he can't lead any one of the president's trophy winning teams past at least the second round, that says something about his leadership abilities.

We can talk about Ovechkin until the cows come home, but he's one of the few that does something and has a positive impact overall. The Caps manage to be successful in the regular season with him doing his job and other doing their jobs. In the playoffs, he continues to do his job. He doesn't elevate his game anymore, nor does he fold under the pressure. He's just there and he scores goals. It's not enough, and you could ask more of him, but others just go silent or are even detrimental to the team.

When I look at the Caps, I see a losing culture and Ovechkin is part of it as the captain of the Washington Capitals. He is not much of a leader, we've seen it at this point. If you wanted to get rid of this losing culture, you would have to either:

1. Be lucky and go on a deep run to create a sense of confidence among the players.
2. Have a far more strict ownership and upper management to change the organizational culture.
3. Fire everyone and trade everyone (not realistically feasible).

So what can be done? This season, I was crossing my fingers for the Caps to go on a lucky run just like the Sens did last year. Make no mistake, shitty teams get past the 2nd round all the time. The 2nd round is an arbitrary mark. Losing in the 2nd round is the same as losing in the Stanley Cup Final in this playoff structure. Shitty teams get to the conference final because they have an easy path, while stronger teams can get bounced before that because they happen to face the best team in the league early. I've seen terrible teams get within a game or two of the Stanley Cup Final. It was the Sens last year, the Habs 4 years ago or the Habs the year Halak was invincible for 3 weeks.

Number one clearly isn't happening this season, CBJ is out to get the Caps.

Number two isn't happening anytime soon, Leonsis won't change anything, nor will he sell the team.

Number three will send the Caps to the purgatory, and it's back to square one. Were you a Caps fan back when they were a shitty non-playoff team and MCI Center had 5000 people per game? I enjoy the little success we have in the regular season, and the last thing I want is this fanbase to vanish because we're no longer a competitive team. I say, let's ride Ovi and co. until their careers are over, and then start with something fresh. I can tell you right now that we will be one of the basement team the day Ovechkin hangs 'em up or the day he requests a trade. Let's appreciate what we have, because the Stanley Cup won't get anywhere close to DC for at least a decade.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

DMR

Apr 29, 2010
Watching him literally standing still waiting for his teammates get him the puck does irk me. I mean it works amazing on the PP, but still it bothers me.

What's amazing is that teams actually let him do it. Put a shadow on him, thus removing Ovie and his shadow from the play. Your 5 on 4 becomes a 4 on 3. Either way you're down a man and you've removed the Caps' most potent PP tool.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

The Red Line

Oct 11, 2010
Unbelievable the amount of hatred that Ovechkin gets. He played a great game tonight, he scored two goals, had about a billion shots on goal, laid a few massive hits, forced a breakaway for himself off of a great takeaway, and I even saw him backcheck hard on a couple of odd man rushes.

I know its mostly just a handful of posters that post incessantly in Caps/Ovi threads, but its just comical how absurd and far-fetched these make believe arguments are getting.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I’m not a Caps fan, but I feel sorry for them. They completely dominated that game, were the better team by a massive margin, but still lost.

I know there’s a wider context of the Caps choking in the playoffs, but I don’t see how they choked in this game. They played great, and just got unlucky. There’s a tonne of luck involved in hockey, sometimes you play way better than the other team but still lose, and that happened here.

Reactions: Eazy for Kuzy

illpucks

May 26, 2011
All I know is that I'd pick the guy who has 171 career playoff points over the guy who has 92. I mean...that's almost double.
He's had way more playoff games. Over 50 more. But sure take him over Mario as well once he passes 172.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
He's had way more playoff games. Over 50 more. But sure take him over Mario as well once he passes 172.
And Ovechkin has played way more games in the NHL(reg season and playoffs) with better linemates, and yet Crosby has more points. You say Ovechkin is equal or better...it.just doesn't compute.

Reactions: 99664987

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I still don't get why Trotz went with Grubauer over Holtby this series. I don't care how hot Grubauer was or how cold Holtby was down the stretch, you go with the guy who is a proven playoff performer.

And Trotz even doubled down on the dumb move by not going with Holtby in Game 2 after Grubauer lost in Game 1.

Obviously, it's still early in the series and the Caps have more than enough ability to come back. But *IF* they lose, it's completely on Trotz for making, IMO, a panic move rather than the smart move.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Did the Pens trade Sid? Like a Pens fan said earlier only 3 players left on the Pens from the Mike Johnston era. They traded the whole team to get him cups. Why don't Caps do the same? Get rid of all the dead weight.

You (or he) must be thinking about 2012 because that's incorrect. Horns, Rust, Dumo, Maatta and (until recently) Cole all cut their teeth under MJ. And a lot of the guys that are now gone either aged out or signed deals elsewhere, and Sully got a lot of this roster from unheralded signings and promoting from WBS. Off the top of my head Scuds, Fehr, Perron, Spaling and Harrington were guys that played under MJ that were given up in deals. Beau Bennett was set free.

Reactions: ncm7772

illpucks

May 26, 2011
And Ovechkin has played way more games in the NHL(reg season and playoffs) with better linemates, and yet Crosby has more points. You say Ovechkin is equal or better...it.just doesn't compute.
Sid's a playmaker first. Playmakers win the Ross.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I

I'm REALLY sick and tired of the Wilson hate. If you want to hate him because of his questionable hits, fine. But hes a good player still in development. Everytime he makes a mistake half the board loses their mind. LAY OFF HIM.

When you purposely try to injure people, fans of other teams aren't going to be rooting for you.

Reactions: TaketheCannoli
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad