Bruins vs. Hurricanes series

• Total voters

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Bruins in 7.

1. Carolina is a lot better team than many give them credit for being.
2. I have not been impressed with the Bruins' mental approach since play resumed. I have never believed a team can just turn it on when it matters. "You play the way you practice".

Grasshopperking

Sponsor
Jun 5, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Seeding round was just a warm up. We can take this team. We have the experience and the skill. As long as they buy into forechecking they'll create chances. Dont try to trade chances back and forth with them, focus on possession and pressure the young team to make mistakes. Sweep incoming!

Reactions: bbfan419

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Here's a question - do we play Halak in game 5 or 6 or neither? I don't think there's a wrong answer at this point.

Leafs stuck with Anderson in their back to back while the Blue Jackets had Korpisalo start all games except for the one after they came back from behind - which was the game where the Leafs came back.

Panthers and Islanders stuck with their starters.

Rangers goaltending was a mess and they split the B2B - as did the Hurricanes.

PIT/HAB didn't get to their back-to-back even though PIT did split their goalie duties.

NSH/ARI stuck with their goalies the whole series.

CGY/WIN did the same - no changes for their B2B.

MIN/VAN also stuck with primary goalies through a B2B.

CHI/EDM stuck with their goalies - no B2B, but Smith gets pulled in the first game never to be heard from again.

I'm leaning towards trying to play Rask back-to-back. It's not ideal, but at least we have two decent choices. Seems most teams are breaking the edict of "Thou shalt not play thy goalie back to back" - which is fine in the regular season. White-knuckling it through one set of B2B in the playoffs could work.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
Im worried, this series will be largely decided on what Bruins team shows up. And even if it is playoff Bruins that show up, Canes wont give easily.
They have such an interesting young team, some absolute studs in Aho and Svech on the first line, great D, good depth. I think they have a good chance of becoming a powerhouse in the league, maybe as early as next season.

I just hope I get to watch some intense, fun Bruins games this post-season man...So far its been a dull story.

Reactions: bbfan419 and BMC

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Other than our good ol friend Jake Gardiner joining the Canes...what has really changed with their lineup?

I'm sure they are still pizzed and won't lose 4-0 like last season. I think it will be 4-2 Bruins though. Their goalie + Gardiner curse factor favors Bruins

Can't wait to see playoff Kulary ... guy is a beast playoff time

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Other than our good ol friend Jake Gardiner joining the Canes...what has really changed with their lineup?

I'm sure they are still pizzed about last season and won't lose 4-0 like last season. I think it will be 4-2 Bruins though. Their goalie + Gardiner curse factor favors Bruins

Their best players (Aho + Svechnikov + Slavin) are even better this year. Svechnikov in particular has really broken out. I don't think you can ever discount the experience their guys got on their run last year.

They loaded up their blueline with Skjei, Edmundson, Vatanen so that they could overcome injuries.

I think Trochek is a really underrated add. He was buzzing around like he was in his better Florida days when I watched them.

Necas looks good as well.

If the Bruins can take advantage of something, it's Pesce and Hamilton out, but like I said, they have the depth on D to overcome that.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Their best players (Aho + Svechnikov + Slavin) are even better this year. Svechnikov in particular has really broken out. I don't think you can ever discount the experience their guys got on their run last year.

They loaded up their blueline with Skjei, Edmundson, Vatanen so that they could overcome injuries.

I think Trochek is a really underrated add. He was buzzing around like he was in his better Florida days when I watched them.

If the Bruins can take advantage of something, it's Pesce and Hamilton out, but like I said, they have the depth on D to overcome that.

good analysis. Trochek game reminds me a bit of Bergeron

I was upset the Bruins couldn't nab him during the trade deadline

Still their goaltending is a weak spot. I think that will be the x factor in the series, unless Rask also struggles

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

I'm sure they are still pizzed and won't lose 4-0 like last season. I think it will be 4-2 Bruins though. Their goalie + Gardiner curse factor favors Bruins

A lot actually.

When Hamilton returns (he may be back for Game 1), they'll have 4 different D-men than what they faced last year (assuming Fleury is the odd-man out).

In - Skjei, Gardiner, Edmundson, Vatanen

Out - Faulk, Pesce, De Haan, Fleury

Reimer takes the place of McElhenney.

Up front there are less changes. Out is Wallmark, Ferland, and McKegg. In are Trocheck, Necas, and Geekie. That's an upgrade. Not to mention the progression of Svechnikov, who was really a non-factor last year. Not so much anymore. I'd also toss in the improvement from players like Aho and Hamilton from last year. This is a tougher test than last season for the Bruins.

Reactions: Gnome17 and BMC

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden

Agree with all of this.

People know Svech for his flashy plays, the zorro goals, but he is a really strong, responsible player all over the ice. Excellent at carrying the puck and creating passing lanes.

Foegle is another young guy that has taken steps for them.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I'm conflicted on this one. On the one hand, the Bruins have certainly had the Canes' number for a few years. On the other hand, the Bruins haven't looked like they're all that close to being ready to play playoff hockey. Maybe they can flip the switch in 48 hours, but I worry that they get behind early in the series, and dig themselves a hole that's too difficult to get out of.

I guess we'll find out on Tuesday if their lackluster play was just a result of viewing the round robin as meaningless exhibition games, or if they just don't have it.

Reactions: Gnome17

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I'm conflicted on this one. On the one hand, the Bruins have certainly had the Canes' number for a few years. On the other hand, the Bruins haven't looked like they're all that close to being ready to play playoff hockey. Maybe they can flip the switch in 48 hours, but I worry that they get behind early in the series, and dig themselves a hole that's too difficult to get out of.

I guess we'll find out on Tuesday if their lackluster play was just a result of viewing the round robin as meaningless exhibition games, or if they just don't have it.
Wouldn’t surprise me to see them drop the first one but hopefully recover .

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
Listen I respect the Hurricanes, they are a good team and they have been going at a pretty good clip. Sebastian Aho is a stud and Slavin might be one of the most underrated players in the NHL. Having said that they played the crappy Rangers in the play in round.

The Bruins were crappy in the round robin, but as bad as they were they were never near as bad as that Rangers team. The Canes can play, but I don’t think they are there yet. It will be a good series, but I believe the Bruins will find their footing and start coming out of this funk. Bruce will have them ready.

Time to start playing Bruins hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad