Series Talk: ECQ: Boston Bruins (2-0) Toronto Maple Leafs. Well. We can Win at Home. We Have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I wonder if the league takes a look into the Marchand kiss thing
Chirping is one thing, but that's taunting.... over the line....punch in the face worthy

He could be gay? Nothing wrong with it but he may be trying to come out.

Feb 24, 2004
Hello all.

Just stopping in to say that Babcock is tanking this series the same way that Carlyle did in 2013 by starting Kostka, Fraser, McLaren, Orr, etc.

The only difference is that Carlyle pivoted (at least until the offseason). Babcock is a stubborn dude who is doubling down by figuratively (and maybe literally) tying a Leo Komarov anchor around our best players waists.

We will beat Boston by playing OUR game - speed, transition, skill - not by prioritizing magic like grit and character.

Good day.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I'm not anti-Babcock and I don't want him fired or anything.

BUT, there is no justifiable reason to have Komarov on the first line.

You don't have to blindly accept everything. People are allowed to question decisions that are, quite frankly, bordering insanity.

There is a justifiable reason. Preserve chemistry.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You're right he is criticised in that sense. But we're talking about Post-Game and Pre-Game scrums where he is surrounded by 50-100 mic's and all they ask him are stupid, generic, hand-picked comments by Paul Hendrick :facepalm: - no idea how he's still a part of the team.

oh yes. let's go back to where things were amazingly hostile and bitter between the media and team that was great amazing fun.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The justification is that Babs sees him as helping neutralize the matchup in some capacity.

Seems optimistic to me but that's the reasoning.

Seems optimistic?

Komarov seems like a great team guy but it's been ugly this season and I can't see how a guy that's an average 4th liner at best is going to help any if I'm being honest

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Paul Maurice could have won that team a freakin medal for what it's worth. Have you seen our Team Canada lineups? Heck, you can make a case they would win even without a coach.
So they just picked Babcock for... charity, then?

If we weren't playing against one of the best teams in the League, and we didn't just come off a 105-point season propelled by our ridiculously talented youth, immediately following our first 82-game season Playoff appearance in 15 years, immediately following being the last-place team in the League, I would maybe, maybe, understand some of the disdain thrown Babcock's way.

The truth of the matter is that ever since he got here, people have been making predictions about what he would do (all vets all the time, no way he'll play 7-10 rookies on a nightly basis) and how long the process would take (no way they're for real this early - they've lucked out with youth, but the growing pains will kick in eventually, this is a 5-year process...) and ever since he got here he's been proving those people wrong. He's helped turn around a terrible, terrible team (with some help, obviously) that had no real future when he joined on, within one year of getting his core in place. He's helped deflect criticism from the developing youth and has helped create an environment where the people we're directing our ire at are the vets and Babcock himself, and I think that's 100% by design. In a season where every rookie was expected to face the dreaded sophomore slump (now that the League has the book on them) we saw noted improvement from pretty much every single member of our core, with major leaps made by our 'Big 3' as well as Hyman.

I just think all of these hot takes are completely missing what's going on in the Maple Leafs organization right now, and that more patience is still required while we're very much still in the development stage of this process. We're in a series where we're the "underdogs" (how many people bitching about Babcock honestly have us winning this series?) and we lost a bad half-game in their barn. Barely anyone showed up to play, but every minuscule detail falls on Babcock.

Like ACC said, it's gonna be a long summer...

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm not anti-Babcock and I don't want him fired or anything.

BUT, there is no justifiable reason to have Komarov on the first line.

You don't have to blindly accept everything. People are allowed to question decisions that are, quite frankly, bordering insanity.
You honestly believe that Babcock doesn't have a reason for what he does?
Question all you want, to believe that anything he does isn't with reason is "insanity" as you put it.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
There is a justifiable reason. Preserve chemistry.

Explain please. Komarov has played like 2 mins with Matthews over the last 2 years.

What chemistry is being preserved here?

Preserving chemistry would mean leaving Hyman on the 1st line. Hyman, btw, played well yesterday and doesn't deserve being demoted.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
oh yes. let's go back to where things were amazingly hostile and bitter between the media and team that was great amazing fun.
don't have to act hostile or bitter. everyone are professionals. nothing wrong with asking direct questions to gauge his thoughts and feelings on the topic, instead of sucking up to him because of his resume and just asking fluff questions given to you by Lamoriello & Shanahan.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
We are putting this guy with Matthews and hoping it will turn out better than last game.

While I haven’t been happy with him at all, this is interesting:

Oh Uncle Leo...

Even Martin is a better option. Please put Matt Martin with Matthews if you have to put someone terrible on that line.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Even one of the more respected hockey insiders in Bob McKenzie had this to say regarding the Komo & Hyms switcheroo:

"Interesting Hyman is off the top line considering he was most the impactful player in Game 1."

That line struggled and Hyman was amazing

God only knows what we're going to get now

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
So they just picked Babcock for... charity, then?

If we weren't playing against one of the best teams in the League, and we didn't just come off a 105-point season propelled by our ridiculously talented youth, immediately following our first 82-game season Playoff appearance in 15 years, immediately following being the last-place team in the League, I would maybe, maybe, understand some of the disdain thrown Babcock's way.

The truth of the matter is that ever since he got here, people have been making predictions about what he would do (all vets all the time, no way he'll play 7-10 rookies on a nightly basis) and how long the process would take (no way they're for real this early - they've lucked out with youth, but the growing pains will kick in eventually, this is a 5-year process...) and ever since he got here he's been proving those people wrong. He's helped turn around a terrible, terrible team (with some help, obviously) that had no real future when he joined on, within one year of getting his core in place. He's helped deflect criticism from the developing youth and has helped create an environment where the people we're directing our ire at are the vets and Babcock himself, and I think that's 100% by design. In a season where every rookie was expected to face the dreaded sophomore slump (now that the League has the book on them) we saw noted improvement from pretty much every single member of our core, with major leaps made by our 'Big 3' as well as Hyman.

I just think all of these hot takes are completely missing what's going on in the Maple Leafs organization right now, and that more patience is still required while we're very much still in the development stage of this process. We're in a series where we're the "underdogs" (how many people *****ing about Babcock honestly have us winning this series?) and we lost a bad half-game in their barn. Barely anyone showed up to play, but every minuscule detail falls on Babcock.

Like ACC said, it's gonna be a long summer...

Well said, unfortunately you are preaching to a whole bunch of people who absolutely have no clue whats going on.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That doesn’t bother me. A lot of people here hated tanking as well but now seem okay with it because we got Matthews, Nylander, Marner etc.

I don’t care if we lose this series if it results in massive changes going forward.

I want the Leafs win the Cup. With decisions like the one Babcock is making currently, that will be a pipe dream.

Losing this series isn't going to change anything. I hope you know that. Every coach and person for that matter has an ego. We all make decisions based on our knowledge and experiences. Babcock isn't trying to sabotage us. He is doing (based on his knowledge of the game) what he believes is best for our team. Just because YOU don't agree with is decisions doesn't make it wrong and just because he has an idea of what he feels will make the team successful doesn't make him the best coach on the planet. At the end of the day he got this team 49 wins so there is a LOT MORE RIGHT with his decisions than wrong.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
You honestly believe that Babcock doesn't have a reason for what he does?
Question all you want, to believe that anything he does isn't with reason is "insanity" as you put it.

I'm sure he has a reason. I just can't understand it.

Last time Leo played with Matthews, he missed 2 empty nets in 2 shifts.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
When we win the cup, the fans wont deserve it. If there is anyone, its the players and the coach that will deserve to win.
All the bad things that have happened, well Leafs nation deserves it.

As Kadri said "this is a passionate fan base, but there is lack of patience here" its ironic the player who said this quote is the same one the fans gave up on so quickly.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
That line struggled and Hyman was amazing

God only knows what we're going to get now

That's the whole point of the move. Get Hyman on a line with marleau and marner who are playing well. Increase secondary scoring. To do that we may have to sacrifice Matthews production and have him in a checking role and pray to God he cashes in on the power play. It's a tough call but ultimately I think it's the right call if we want to stop the Marchand line

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
again, just wanna point out.
Matthews didn't play well. Neither did Nylander. Neither did the majority of the team.
Kadri did a dumb, selfish thing that is going to hurt this team if he gets suspended (i hope he doesn't)
Powerplay didn't score.
The team took way too many penalties and didn't kill one.

that is why we lost.
if the team collectively doesn't play better, then it doesn't matter what decisions Babcock makes. Komarov easily doesn't play but if Matthews and Nylander (et al) aren't playing well, are we winning? No. Hyman can be moved to the 2nd line but if the PP /PK aren't operating well, are we winning? No.

Babcock can do whatever you all want him to do but if the team doesn't play well like we know they can, are we winning. NO. .

putting all of that on Komarov is so disengenus it's not even funny anymore.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Explain please. Komarov has played like 2 mins with Matthews over the last 2 years.

What chemistry is being preserved here?

Preserving chemistry would mean leaving Hyman on the 1st line. Hyman, btw, played well yesterday and doesn't deserve being demoted.

We are talking about the other lines... also I don't see this as a demotion. Hyman will be facing easier opposition now. He will get more scoring chances. The Matthews line is now becoming that checking line. I don't get why this is so hard for people to underatand

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I do! But I think Nylander/Matthews chemistry is more evident. Babcock really runs his lines based off pairs with that third forward being interchangeable
If that's true, why did Babcock switch nylander with brown when he's wanted to make changes in the past? I think our top line does have chemistry and the only way I'd break it up is to play willy at center

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I'm sure he has a reason. I just can't understand it.

Last time Leo played with Matthews, he missed 2 empty nets in 2 shifts.
Your understanding isn't the coaches concern. Like every Coach, he's trying to give the Team what he feels is their best chance to win. Like every Coach, that won't happen 100% of the time. This isn't about Komarov, Hyman or Matthews it's about trying to win without a top center.

Reactions: francis246

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
has helped create an environment where the people we're directing our ire at are the vets and Babcock himself
well..you've said it i guess. if he's helped create that environment then he'll have to put up with the tough questions and the "ire" of some fans.
We're in a series where we're the "underdogs"
don't buy in to Babcock's nonsense when he said "we have less points, so we're the underdog."

When did we become such sheep? Just buying into everything he says, do we not have minds of our own? We finished in the top 6 of the league and had 105 freakin points in a season. That is very, very impressive. Both are very solid teams who did great this year, Boston just has more playoff experience - if that's what makes us the 'underdog' then fine - but i won't believe for one second we're the underdog because we potentially could have 4 very optimized lines along with 3 very solid d-pairs...but Babcock is being Babcock.

Reactions: ToMaLe

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
We are talking about the other lines... also I don't see this as a demotion. Hyman will be facing easier opposition now. He will get more scoring chances. The Matthews line is now becoming that checking line. I don't get why this is so hard for people to underatand
Matthews and Nylander aren't checking line type players and Komarov isn't anymore than a 4th liner so it doesn't really make sense

Reactions: ToMaLe

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
If that's true, why did Babcock switch nylander with brown when he's wanted to make changes in the past? I think our top line does have chemistry and the only way I'd break it up is to play willy at center

That had more to do with punishing Nylander and rewarding Brown. Not related incidents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad