ECHL Hockey in St. John's, NL 2018-19 ?

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
That ain't what Margaret McNamara taught us U.S. kids of the 60's ...

I blame the English - Reading PA is named for Reading England. Before I moved here I always said it wrong too.

Or maybe it is just a central Pennsylvania thing - there is a nearby city named Lebanon. Outsiders will get corrected if they pronounce it like the country in the middle east. It is Leb-nin, not leb-a-non. Lancaster PA is lankister (a is pronounced like Hank, not Land, and the emphasis is on the "kiss")

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
I blame the English - Reading PA is named for Reading England. Before I moved here I always said it wrong too.

Or maybe it is just a central Pennsylvania thing - there is a nearby city named Lebanon. Outsiders will get corrected if they pronounce it like the country in the middle east. It is Leb-nin, not leb-a-non. Lancaster PA is lankister (a is pronounced like Hank, not Land, and the emphasis is on the "kiss")
Visit St. Louis sometime, and listen to how today's natives skewer the beautiful French names from the days of settlement: Bellefontaine = "Bell-FOWN-tihn"; Gravois = "GRA-voiz"; Creve Coeur = "KREEV-Kohr"; Chouteau = "SHOTE-oe"; Carondelet = "Curh-AHN-duh-lett"; Laclede = "LACK-leed." And then there is the region's embarrassing pronunciation of the interstate highway that bisects the metro area: "Highway Farty-Far."

BigBadBread

Shi Shi Shawww
Dec 4, 2006
As a local here New-Fin-Land or New-Fown-Land is probably the most accurate way IMO to pronounce Newfoundland without sounding like fool to the locals. Nothing worse than hearing "Newf-In-LInd or Newf-In-LUnd".

As for the Newfoundland Growlers, if that's the name I won't be upset. Sure it probably could be better but it can be worse as well. Any name you choose for a new team will be loved/hated anyway.

At least it's original and has lots of potential for different logo/jersey designs and colors.

Reactions: JMCx4

IceCapsFanNL

Nov 1, 2011
St. John's
This is a typical growler
iu.jpeg

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JimXVX

Jan 3, 2017
As someone who lived in Newfoundland for a while when I was a kid I always root for any pro/junior team from the island & so I'm excited for the new ECHL outfit. However that being said I did smile when heard the team's name; I suppose it's safe to assume that Growler does not have the same slang meaning as it does here in the UK where it refers to a certain intimate area of the female anatomy!

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I suppose it's safe to assume that Growler does not have the same slang meaning as it does here in the UK where it refers to a certain intimate area of the female anatomy!
Can't wait to see THAT alternate logo as a shoulder patch. :m-dance:

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
*upon hearing the likely nickname of St. John's ECHL team, I slap my head so loudly that you can use it to guide ships into the harbour....*

That. Is. The. DUMBEST. Nickname. I. Have. EVER. Heard. For. ANY. Sports. Team. In. My. Life.

What's their marketing slogan going to be..."Win or lose, we drink the booze"?

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
*upon hearing the likely nickname of St. John's ECHL team, I slap my head so loudly that you can use it to guide ships into the harbour....*

That. Is. The. DUMBEST. Nickname. I. Have. EVER. Heard. For. ANY. Sports. Team. In. My. Life.

What's their marketing slogan going to be..."Win or lose, we drink the booze"?

From your lips to God's ears, we can only hope...

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Is the name and logo going announced this sometime?.Does anyone when?.
Neill, NO news until at least June..... depends on how long the Marlies and Solar Bears remain active.... as it stands Orlando is playing Florida and the Marlies are playing Syracuse in the North Division Finals.... nothing can be announced until the contract with Orlando expires (much like Greenville ceding its affiliation to Portland by mutual agreement with the Rangers with the dual pressers between Greenville and Portland).... the longer the Leaf affiliates play add a week or 2 before that's official.... we still don't know where or if Greenville or Orlando's next affiliation is coming from, but I expect both likely won't be unaffiliated, even though that's an option.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
Growlers....

Grow...lers.

1. a person or thing that growls.
  2. a small iceberg that rises little above the water

Seriously bys wtf? You had SO many good options, Shamrocks would have been amazing. Hell i'd take the St.John's Caps at this point?

Wtf is a growler supposed to be? If it's a polar bear I want the FULL marketing team to get close enough to a polar bear to see if its growls...

Full on irrational mad right now.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Growlers....

Grow...lers.

1. a person or thing that growls.
  2. a small iceberg that rises little above the water

Seriously bys wtf? You had SO many good options, Shamrocks would have been amazing. Hell i'd take the St.John's Caps at this point?

Wtf is a growler supposed to be? If it's a polar bear I want the FULL marketing team to get close enough to a polar bear to see if its growls...

Full on irrational mad right now.
You forgot a definition.
A growler (/ˈɡraʊlər/) is a glass, ceramic, or stainless steel jug used to transport draft beer in the United States, Canada,[1] Australia, Brazil and other countries. They are commonly sold at breweries and brewpubs as a means to sell take-out craft beer. Rarely, beers are bottled in growlers for retail sale. The significant growth of craft breweries and the growing popularity of home brewing has also led to an emerging market for the sale of collectible growlers. Some U.S. grocery stores, convenience stores, bars and restaurants have growler filling stations.

What a marketing opportunity! Put a craft beer pub in or adjacent to the arena and sell growlers of Growlers beer. Put the team name and logo on the jugs. In this case the whole marketing team just needs to get close enough to the beer to see if it tastes good. They could go with some kind of mythologic looking half dog-half bear creature as the logo. At least is something unique, but not stupid, like minor league baseball teams have been doing lately (Rumble Ponies, Lugnuts, Jumbo Shrimp, Rubber Ducks, Yard Goats, etc)

I like Growlers, just waiting to see the logo and colors. Hopefully they don't go too cartoony with it.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
You forgot a definition.
A growler (/ˈɡraʊlər/) is a glass, ceramic, or stainless steel jug used to transport draft beer in the United States, Canada,[1] Australia, Brazil and other countries. They are commonly sold at breweries and brewpubs as a means to sell take-out craft beer. Rarely, beers are bottled in growlers for retail sale. The significant growth of craft breweries and the growing popularity of home brewing has also led to an emerging market for the sale of collectible growlers. Some U.S. grocery stores, convenience stores, bars and restaurants have growler filling stations.

What a marketing opportunity! Put a craft beer pub in or adjacent to the arena and sell growlers of Growlers beer. Put the team name and logo on the jugs. In this case the whole marketing team just needs to get close enough to the beer to see if it tastes good. They could go with some kind of mythologic looking half dog-half bear creature as the logo. At least is something unique, but not stupid, like minor league baseball teams have been doing lately (Rumble Ponies, Lugnuts, Jumbo Shrimp, Rubber Ducks, Yard Goats, etc)

I like Growlers, just waiting to see the logo and colors. Hopefully they don't go too cartoony with it.
Royals:

you forget some here also watch Hartford and Binghamton Baseball.... since Portland is in its 25th season and going to these unique names beats calling them after the affiliation which has also become prevalent.... it's a wonder the name "Royals" wasn't jettisoned in Reading when your baseball team is the Fightins, also in the same league as Hartford/Binghamton/Portland..... who needs a chicken logo in Reading, even if it is the Phillies affiliation.

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey

Love this idea. Getting something involved with local businesses as a part of your team would be pretty big, and beer is always good too. I haven't seen a whole lot of breweries getting involved with sports aside from the InBev/Coors brands.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Royals:

you forget some here also watch Hartford and Binghamton Baseball.... since Portland is in its 25th season and going to these unique names beats calling them after the affiliation which has also become prevalent.... it's a wonder the name "Royals" wasn't jettisoned in Reading when your baseball team is the Fightins, also in the same league as Hartford/Binghamton/Portland..... who needs a chicken logo in Reading, even if it is the Phillies affiliation.
It's OK if you watch baseball, I won't hold it against you.

I'm not a baseball fan at all, so I don't really care about the team or their name, but I can tell you the change was unpopular with a lot of people here. Some cancelled their season tickets, and some long time employees quit when they announced it.

Just for the sake of being correct, the logo is not a chicken, it is an ostrich. Personally, I'm more traditional, so I like teams that use their major league team's name. Reading Phillies, or even Reading Fightin Phills beats Rumble Ponies, that's for sure. I'm not a fan of Sea Dogs as a team name either, although I had to google "Portland Minor League Baseball" to find out what their name was.

If we are comparing, Reading has been the home to the Phillies AA affiliate for 50 years, so twice as long as Portland, and they had other baseball teams here before the Phillies too.

Not sure why you think the Royals would change their name due to the baseball team making a change. The Royals and the Fightin Phills have nothing to do with each other, except for being located in the same city.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
You

What a marketing opportunity! Put a craft beer pub in or adjacent to the arena and sell growlers of Growlers beer. .

Love this idea. Getting something involved with local businesses as a part of your team would be pretty big, and beer is always good too. I haven't seen a whole lot of breweries getting involved with sports aside from the InBev/Coors brands.

I'm not sure if you two are familiar with the location of the arena in the big city of Sin Jawns. But about 300-400 steps from the rink is the world wide known "George Street". I suggest googling it :laugh:.

If ANY team is going to do a beer deal, it'll be this one.

Also @CHRDANHUTCH, I remember that. The IceCap Tims' fan made jersey. Hilarious

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I'm not sure if you two are familiar with the location of the arena in the big city of Sin Jawns. But about 300-400 steps from the rink is the world wide known "George Street". I suggest googling it :laugh:.

If ANY team is going to do a beer deal, it'll be this one.
Looks like a fun place to visit. My wife and I used to talk to Rob Slaney a bit when he played here, and he would always tell us how much he loved Newfoundland, although he never mentioned George St. He is from Upper Island Cove though, so maybe he didn't get down to the "big city" too often. Maybe we will make a trip up there at some point to catch a Royals game and do some sight seeing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad