ECHL Hockey in St. John's, NL 2018-19 ?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
How are they part of the agreement? I heard some AHL games might be played at Mile One. But would they need to wait for the Mariles to finish if they are just a small part of it all?
if that's the agreement, as presented, then yes, SJSE HAS TO BE NOTIFIED as they're the operators at Mile One, so I would say that's why you haven't heard a launch announcement, because do we even know how many games the agreement stipulates the Marlies agreed to, which then has to be summarily approved by the AHL, which isn't a great detail, but depends on what Deacon's lease states....

Woo Hockey

@WooHockeyNews
Jul 5, 2014
Worcester, MA
woo.hockey
I hate how the ECHL has the team name rights, I don't like it whatsoever. It is definitely smart on their part, but if you are a franchise owner that almost eliminates your ability to maintain your brand should you decide to switch leagues. At the very least you would likely have to pay the ECHL to retain your teams name and brand. Not sure if that's for new or expansion clubs but I just don't like it.

Not sure of the logistics of it but the league retains the rights should a team name be brought back for any reason. An example would be if Elmira Jackals or the Quad City Mallards ever made a comeback.

I believe the Colorado Eagles organization will get the rights (not the AHL) to the name when they switch leagues after this season.

Avsrule2022

"No more rats"
Apr 4, 2012
Longmont, CO
Not sure of the logistics of it but the league retains the rights should a team name be brought back for any reason. An example would be if Elmira Jackals or the Quad City Mallards ever made a comeback.

I believe the Colorado Eagles organization will get the rights (not the AHL) to the name when they switch leagues after this season.

Yes, the Eagles had to give up the rights to their name when they joined the ECHL. My understanding is they have to pay to get it back when they leave. Sounds kind of like extortion to me lol.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015

Yup. This happened to Johnstown as well. The ECHL kept the Chiefs name when they relocated. When the NAHL moved in, they intended to purchase the name back bu balked at the ECHL's asking price. Thus we have the derivative Tomahawks.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
if that's the agreement, as presented, then yes, SJSE HAS TO BE NOTIFIED as they're the operators at Mile One, so I would say that's why you haven't heard a launch announcement, because do we even know how many games the agreement stipulates the Marlies agreed to, which then has to be summarily approved by the AHL, which isn't a great detail, but depends on what Deacon's lease states....

Couldn't they just announce the ECHL affiliation first then any potential Marlies games later? They don't have to be announced all at once.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Couldn't they just announce the ECHL affiliation first then any potential Marlies games later? They don't have to be announced all at once.
it's been known for months, though, CC, just as Colorado swapping leagues, is pretty much well-known, but then again, remember, what almost derailed this franchise if the Edge and Deacon hadn't settled and gone to arbitration, would there be a St. John's franchise at all....

look at what Spectra had to go through and Portland is further ahead of this franchise at present, nevermind the lead time

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
it's been known for months, though, CC, just as Colorado swapping leagues, is pretty much well-known, but then again, remember, what almost derailed this franchise if the Edge and Deacon hadn't settled and gone to arbitration, would there be a St. John's franchise at all....

look at what Spectra had to go through and Portland is further ahead of this franchise at present, nevermind the lead time

But like... none of this prevents them from announcing names, logos, or affiliations before announcing any future Marlies games.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Perhaps Brian McKenna isn't available and they don't want to announce without him. Or maybe the people from Toronto aren't available yet. Maybe the ECHL has asked them not to announce until a certain date to keep the focus on the playoffs.

There are tons of potential reasons why they haven't announced yet.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I agree. There is some reason why they are holding off, but I doubt it is the Marlies playoff games. Maybe they are looking to get maximum exposure in the newspaper, or local TV news coverage, and they are waiting until they are ready to start running advertising to get the biggest bang for their buck. Maybe their sales staff isn't in place, or fully trained yet, and they don't want potential STH's flooding the office with calls and emails and having everyone get a bad first impression. Maybe one of the owners had a month long cruise to Alaska scheduled and they are waiting for him to return.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
They are waiting to announce until three unicorns crap marshmallows at center ice. Don't believe me? Then why hasn't it been officially announced yet? See the point?
YOU DON'T GET IT... Toronto isn't totally done, CC, because apparently you don't get how an operation works logistically, Portland watched Manchester/Adirondack transition into here.... then we watched Worcester start from basically where St.John's is starting from 2 years ago, even then, it took them another full year to get the logistics of being awarded a franchise and look what they accomplished....

I'm with royals, here, we don't know logistically how Orlando's perception changed since it was publically known in inner circles from the folks diligence in NL that this was coming.... It's like Greenville, in a way, I don't think those internal discussions with the Rangers , and the dual pressers that ended that agreement, same with the Devos family, who own the Solar Bears, just as they did previously when Orlando went on hiatus after the dissolution of the IHL.

Captain Crash

Apr 9, 2015
YOU DON'T GET IT... Toronto isn't totally done, CC, because apparently you don't get how an operation works logistically, Portland watched Manchester/Adirondack transition into here.... then we watched Worcester start from basically where St.John's is starting from 2 years ago, even then, it took them another full year to get the logistics of being awarded a franchise and look what they accomplished....

I'm with royals, here, we don't know logistically how Orlando's perception changed since it was publically known in inner circles from the folks diligence in NL that this was coming.... It's like Greenville, in a way, I don't think those internal discussions with the Rangers , and the dual pressers that ended that agreement, same with the Devos family, who own the Solar Bears, just as they did previously when Orlando went on hiatus after the dissolution of the IHL.

You're right, I don't get it. I don't get what any of that has to do with them choosing to announce the name of the team. That's probably because none of it does. As other commenters pointed out, there are a ton of reasons why this might be the case and we will probably never know. It's not even a big deal at all. It's just highly, highly unlikely that it's because of a potential Marlies neutral site game because there's really no reason why that would affect it. I think you just came up with a reason and don't feel like abandoning it.

Reactions: 210 and royals119

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
You're right, I don't get it. I don't get what any of that has to do with them choosing to announce the name of the team. That's probably because none of it does. As other commenters pointed out, there are a ton of reasons why this might be the case and we will probably never know. It's not even a big deal at all. It's just highly, highly unlikely that it's because of a potential Marlies neutral site game because there's really no reason why that would affect it. I think you just came up with a reason and don't feel like abandoning it.
if you feel like being civil instead of sarcastic, good day.

Growlers

Go Growlers!
Dec 9, 2017
Pro Hockey is back. The temporary page for the new ECHL team in St. John's Posted this today. So it seems the logo and team will be announced very soon.

2w1yvlg.png

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
W
Pro Hockey is back. The temporary page for the new ECHL team in St. John's Posted this today. So it seems the logo and team will be announced very soon.

2w1yvlg.png
Hi what day is the name and logo being released?.

Neill99

Oct 30, 2006
What day are they going to release the name and logo?.Where's another hint or more updates on when

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad