ECHL announces Lake Tahoe expansion team for 2024-25

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
First, welcome to the ECHL, Lake Tahoe.

Second, we've been hearing reports of either Reno or Lake Tahoe getting a team for so long we've all graduated from high school by now. (I mean, that's what it FEELS like...)

Reactions: Roadhog and mk80

KrugAvoy

Aug 11, 2017
Lowell
I bet the Manchester guy isn't too happy about this one...

This one seems surprising to me. I wonder what the affiliation and branding will be

Reactions: Atlantian

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Good luck finding front office staff who can afford to live there on the pittance that ECHL teams pay...
My gut feeling is all of the stuff is going to be in Carson City as far as the legal and technical stuff, while the arena is in Stateline. I dunno.

This also defeats the purpose of ever bringing in Reno as I don't see them having two teams close to each other in Nevada with such a niche interest as ice hockey though, let's be realistic, that project at the convention center never got off the conception stage.

Reactions: Roadhog

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
I'll be a regular. This will do well. There are a lot of hockey fans in the Reno area.

Good luck finding front office staff who can afford to live there on the pittance that ECHL teams pay...
My gut feeling is all of the stuff is going to be in Carson City as far as the legal and technical stuff, while the arena is in Stateline. I dunno.

This also defeats the purpose of ever bringing in Reno as I don't see them having two teams close to each other in Nevada with such a niche interest as ice hockey though, let's be realistic, that project at the convention center never got off the conception stage.
That's a good point. Heck I moved to Reno for a job in Carson at a tech company and even with that set up it was tough for us to live in Reno. I would bet the pay might be higher due to the ownership group supporting other ventures as well.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
I'll be a regular. This will do well. There are a lot of hockey fans in the Reno area.

That's a good point. Heck I moved to Reno for a job in Carson at a tech company and even with that set up it was tough for us to live in Reno. I would bet the pay might be higher due to the ownership group supporting other ventures as well.
The last place I worked in the ECHL was paying staff so poorly that the starting salary for the broadcaster/PR director and ticket sales people was around 156% of the federal poverty level for a single person that year. Imagine trying to live with a daily one-hour commute and rent anywhere near Lake Tahoe on a salary around $22,750, which is 156% percent of the 2023 FPL for one person.

And for you snark trolls: Miss me with the, "But you're living your dream!" When you work for a minor league team, you don't work regular hours. You often work 80-100 hours a week for 30 weeks straight during the season. Yes, you're an employee, but you're not a slave. You have the same rights as an employee in any other business and shouldn't be exploited just because you're "living your dream."

Last edited:

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Ski instructor/Park Ranger by day, ECHL job by night?
I guess you didn't bother to read what I posted.

Office staffers for an ECHL team work between 60 and 80 hours a week in-season.

Sales calls are made during the day... you know, the same time that ski areas and parks are open.

Last edited by a moderator:

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Any particular reason why the new arena in Tahoe has a ‘U’ shape seating and not go around and have a full bowl style? Looks odd in the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_7600.jpeg
    IMG_7600.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 14

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
The last place I worked in the ECHL was paying staff so poorly that the starting salary for the broadcaster/PR director and ticket sales people was around 156% of the federal poverty level for a single person that year. Imagine trying to live with a daily one-hour commute and rent anywhere near Lake Tahoe on a salary around $22,750, which is 156% percent of the 2023 FPL for one person.

And for you snark trolls: Miss me with the, "But you're living your dream!" When you work for a minor league team, you don't work regular hours. You often work 80-100 hours a week for 30 weeks straight during the season. Yes, you're an employee, but you're not a slave. You have the same rights as an employee in any other business and shouldn't be exploited just because you're "living your dream."
As with a lot of low paying entry level jobs in this field and similar other fields, most of them will be supported by parents until they move up or to another field altogether. This isn't unique to the ECHL or even other jobs in Lake Tahoe. Not arguing this is a good thing but that's just how it is these days.

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
As with a lot of low paying entry level jobs in this field and similar other fields, most of them will be supported by parents until they move up or to another field altogether. This isn't unique to the ECHL or even other jobs in Lake Tahoe. Not arguing this is a good thing but that's just how it is these days.
Just another piece of the argument that hockey isn't actually for everyone.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Just another piece of the argument that hockey isn't actually for everyone.
Well to be fair most people who work for any of the minor league teams in my town can't afford to pay their bills with just their job. Like I said, it's like this for many sports across many cities.

Hockey has been for the wealthy for a long time now. No poor kid is even going to make a college or major junior team let alone the NHL.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
How is a team with a maximum capacity of 4200 going to be able to afford to fly everywhere outside of Utah or Idaho?
Ideally, the hope is this news sparks interest in expansion in Stockton or another California market to minimize travel costs and create a Pacific division again. But currently Rapid City plays Utah and Idaho 70 times a season and they're on the crummy side of South Dakota that just happened to have a giant landmark for tourists.

Ratitude

May 2, 2020
Another advantage of the Lake Tahoe expansion is that if Stockton wants hockey back, this is actually a good opportunity to get that going.
Well Stockton is going to have to come up with a whole new identity and brand lol. With Stockton all excited to become an AHL club (maybe not the fans, they like the Adirondack Flame fans didn't have much choice) the powers that be sent the Thunder brand to Upstate NY as the Adirondack Thunder. Well the Thunder brand has long grown on the fan base here and they are Thunderstruck lol. Will Stockton ever welcome back the ECHL, especially now since the Thunder identity has long since been adopted with open arms elsewhere?? Congrats however to Reno/Lake Tahoe on finally landing the hockey club. Nice to see the ECHL shoring up its western footprint. Be cool to maybe see a Wyoming club in there. Hope Iowa can last, so far support there hasn't been too impressive yet they play in a beautiful barn in a great area.

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Well Stockton is going to have to come up with a whole new identity and brand lol. With Stockton all excited to become an AHL club (maybe not the fans, they like the Adirondack Flame fans didn't have much choice) the powers that be sent the Thunder brand to Upstate NY as the Adirondack Thunder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad