ECHL 2020-21 Season Plans

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Where did you hear that? As far as I'd been told, none of the 12 teams had been 100% confirmed to be returning
You apparently need to find people more connected to the situation to listen to...or perhaps just people who read press releases will suffice.

The very first line:
The Kalamazoo Wings, proud ECHL affiliate of the National Hockey League’s Vancouver Canucks, revealed the organization’s intentions to play the 2020-21 season Friday, following the ECHL’s announcement of a return-to-play plan.

Reactions: JMCx4

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
You apparently need to find people more connected to the situation to listen to...or perhaps just people who read press releases will suffice.

The very first line:
The Kalamazoo Wings, proud ECHL affiliate of the National Hockey League’s Vancouver Canucks, revealed the organization’s intentions to play the 2020-21 season Friday, following the ECHL’s announcement of a return-to-play plan.
Just read the press release. It does look like they'll play, but I still don't think it's 100% with the way the lockdown has been so far in MI.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Just read the press release. It does look like they'll play, but I still don't think it's 100% with the way the lockdown has been so far in MI.
NOTHING is 100% (as @210 typed faster than I did). You're welcome to join the pandemic party & learn that along with the rest of us. :thumbu:

Reactions: Atlantian

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
NOTHING is 100% (as @210 typed faster than I did). You're welcome to join the pandemic party & learn that along with the rest of us. :thumbu:
I get that nothing is 100%. Before the league even announced the return to play plan, Kalamazoo was on the short list of teams that were not supposed to be returning because of statewide restrictions. I just do not see it happening, even if the league goes on as scheduled this year. The FPHL team in Fraser is supposedly going dormant this season because of the restrictions. I do not see how they expect to be allowed to host games.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
I get that nothing is 100%. Before the league even announced the return to play plan, Kalamazoo was on the short list of teams that were not supposed to be returning because of statewide restrictions. I just do not see it happening, even if the league goes on as scheduled this year. The FPHL team in Fraser is supposedly going dormant this season because of the restrictions. I do not see how they expect to be allowed to host games.
What short list of teams that was not supposed to return?

GindyDraws

Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
It's gonna be quite a steep learning curve for the Frankes to get the hang of UNDER-reporting attendance numbers. :dunno:

If Hoosiers are effectively banned from travelling outside of Indiana, they better accept travelling throughout the Hoosier State and get accustomed to everything we have.

I really should check out the Memorial Coliseum and see if those numbers are legit. Some Fuel games look sparse, but at least I know the team will admit an honest number, and when the team goes over 4K, it's obvious.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I ran a Search of this thread for the first prediction that the NOR-Ads would be declining the invitation to resume play in 2020-21. Curiously it was made by none other than @Atlantian. I smell a rat. :skeptic:
Like I said, I have my sources. It was not to hard to figure out though. That is why I still think Kzoo is out too. Very rarely are my sources wrong.

jabberoski

Aug 1, 2011
Confirmation. Ft. Wayne most likely starting back in January.

And this, directly from the team president, debunks your conformation.

Attachments

• 7159FEBE-0021-43F5-836D-D2754795CB68.jpeg
    7159FEBE-0021-43F5-836D-D2754795CB68.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 8

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Doesn't matter in this situation. The Growlers have just about the best relationship with the Toronto organization as an ECHL team could hope for and that's not going to help them play this season one iota.
Well, the Growlers (and Beast) are special cases, in that if the border isn't open they can't play. However, for a team like Norfolk, if they have a limited capacity for fans, but the NHL/AHL club is paying a portion of the payroll, then they have a better chance to operate vs paying their entire payroll themselves.

If the border opens, and Newfoundland says only 25% capacity, the fact that Toronto is going to assign 20 players, would help the Growlers. So they would be helped, if the other criteria are met, that Toronto can't control.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
I was just reading about the potential for an all Canadian NHL division, and the subsequent rumors that Utica, Bakersfield and Stockton would move to Canada temporarily, so the NHL teams could call up players without restrictions.

What if Newfoundland and Utica temporarily switched teams? The Growlers start the year in Utica and the Comets play out of St John's until the borders open. Brampton would likely work better from a travel perspective, as the flights from St John's to Vancouver would be complicated, but the fan support and facilities are probably better in Newfoundland.

I doubt it will happen - more likely the Comets just play out of the Canucks arena, or a local practice rink nearby.

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Well, the Growlers (and Beast) are special cases, in that if the border isn't open they can't play. However, for a team like Norfolk, if they have a limited capacity for fans, but the NHL/AHL club is paying a portion of the payroll, then they have a better chance to operate vs paying their entire payroll themselves.

Yeah, no. ECHL clubs pay an affiliation fee to their AHL/NHL affiliates. Generally, this fee covers the portion of the player payroll that counts against the ECHL salary cap plus a little more for equipment provided by the affiliates, licensing of trademarks, and so on. An ECHL team's salary cap figure is what they're actually paying in player payroll. The affiliate pays anything over and above that for players on one-way or two-way contracts.

If the K's face limited capacity for fans, they have an extraordinarily limited chance at breaking even, much less making money. Franke's quote to Cohn proves that. He said they're looking to restart operations in a manner that has "some semblance of financial justification" for the organization. That to me says that they're not going to play for the sake of playing if it means they're setting money on fire, and financially, the K's are probably the best positioned team in the ECHL to play with limited fan capacity.

The season will be banged before December 15. Bet on it.

Reactions: Growler

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Yeah, no. ECHL clubs pay an affiliation fee to their AHL/NHL affiliates. Generally, this fee covers the portion of the player payroll that counts against the ECHL salary cap plus a little more for equipment provided by the affiliates, licensing of trademarks, and so on. An ECHL team's salary cap figure is what they're actually paying in player payroll. The affiliate pays anything over and above that for players on one-way or two-way contracts.

If the K's face limited capacity for fans, they have an extraordinarily limited chance at breaking even, much less making money. Franke's quote to Cohn proves that. He said they're looking to restart operations in a manner that has "some semblance of financial justification" for the organization. That to me says that they're not going to play for the sake of playing if it means they're setting money on fire, and financially, the K's are probably the best positioned team in the ECHL to play with limited fan capacity.

We are looking at the season wrong. Some teams that gl dormant will fold, but what about the teams that try to risk it to have a season? Greenville (at least prior to the sale to Spire) was on shaky ground as it is. Would a team that plays run out of money? I mean look at Utah. Without Idaho they're an island. Travel for them is gonna be higher for them than a normal season with less money coming in.

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

If the border opens, and Newfoundland says only 25% capacity, the fact that Toronto is going to assign 20 players, would help the Growlers. So they would be helped, if the other criteria are met, that Toronto can't control.

No, they actually wouldn't be. The salary cap is the exact same amount for Norfolk as it is for Newfoundland and every other ECHL team. What's different is the quality of player that can be had for that amount because of an affiliate paying more for the player than they're charged against the salary cap. But the amount being paid by ECHL teams, presuming they spend to the cap, is exactly the same.

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com

No affiliation fees for ECHL teams to NHL/AHL teams other than the amount of salary they're charged against the salary cap.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the NHL/AHL affiliate payment?
The NHL/AHL affiliate payment for 2020-21 is $525 per week. Any affiliate amount other than $525 per week agreed upon with any NHL/AHL club will be considered a salary cap violation. This includes excess payments for equipment, travel, etc.

Reactions: CrazyEddie20

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad