ECHL 2020-21 Season Plans

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... And, yes, the Walleye have confirmed Winterfest will take place next year instead.
I wonder if fans who bought their Winterfest packages will still get the souvenir jersey? I was very close to buying tickets just for that perk alone.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
To be honest I'm more worried about teams folding other then opting out this could be a bad year for minor league hockey
Norfolk, Worcester, Kalamazoo, Brampton & Newfoundland (at a minimum) sure seem to be on the bubble regarding returning to play in Winter 2021 based on state/provincial restrictions. I suspect those teams & several others have opted for the January start with the hope of miracles occurring before then. Maybe that's why the League press release didn't mention the second batch of teams, so fans have to do their own homework to speculate on the next ice sheets to melt.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
If Atlanta comes back I'll be surprised. We realistically could have seen the last pro hockey game in Atlanta for several years.
I don't reckon any Gladiators fans would consider becoming temporary (or permanent) Swamp Rabbits fans? How 'bout Macon Mayhem followers? I hate to see a hockey fan base shut out (I've experienced one of my own), even if it's only for one season. But I'm leaning toward the Glads' eventual departure only being accelerated by this pandemic. :(

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I don't reckon any Gladiators fans would consider becoming temporary (or permanent) Swamp Rabbits fans? How 'bout Macon Mayhem followers? I hate to see a hockey fan base shut out (I've experienced one of my own), even if it's only for one season. But I'm leaning toward the Glads' eventual departure only being accelerated by this pandemic. :(
Definitely gonna follow both. Also looking at collegiate hockey. But even earlier this week I had heard that we were planning to return to play. As a former Thrashers fan, it definitely brings back memories of 2011. I do not reasonably see why the team would not at least wait like other teams unless the owner decided to cheap out on the season. it is the only logical reasoning for me considering Macon is gonna find a way to make it work with the same capacity restrictions. And if that is indeed the case, then the team is already as good as gone. Hopefully the ECHL fights to keep one of its longest tenured and most consistent teams afloat, but I only fear the worst at the moment.

Reactions: hurricanesfan123

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Norfolk, Worcester, Kalamazoo, Brampton & Newfoundland (at a minimum) sure seem to be on the bubble regarding returning to play in Winter 2021 based on state/provincial restrictions. I suspect those teams & several others have opted for the January start with the hope of miracles occurring before then. Maybe that's why the League press release didn't mention the second batch of teams, so fans have to do their own homework to speculate on the next ice sheets to melt.

Fort Wayne did confirm they will play in January on Twitter, so they will be playing.

I'm not sure on the two Canadian teams, with Brampton in particular. Not only do they not have any support in their community, but the province restrictions for on-ice action would kill any chance of them returning.

Norfolk? You've been an independent for years, you're in a state with heavy restrictions, and attendance has been dwindling. Until they say they aren't dead, they're dead.

AFAIK, Atlanta was granted voluntary suspension, but the pandemic has killed off Brampton and Norfolk.

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Worcester and Newfoundland have solid Infrastructure/Ownership so they will probably be able to withstand a Long hiatus. The situations in Norfolk and Brampton seemed unstable before the pandemic. Who knows how long they can realistically survive without playing.

Lake Simcoe Travels

Oct 23, 2017
Fort Wayne did confirm they will play in January on Twitter, so they will be playing.

I'm not sure on the two Canadian teams, with Brampton in particular. Not only do they not have any support in their community, but the province restrictions for on-ice action would kill any chance of them returning.

Norfolk? You've been an independent for years, you're in a state with heavy restrictions, and attendance has been dwindling. Until they say they aren't dead, they're dead.

AFAIK, Atlanta was granted voluntary suspension, but the pandemic has killed off Brampton and Norfolk.
Norfolk Admirals plan to play 62-game schedule starting on Jan. 15

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
The only one I believe is Ft. Wayne. Any other team I believe is still up in the air regarding playing this upcoming season. I will honestly be surprised if more than 3 or 4 teams begin play at the January 15th deadline. I do not believe Norfolk will play and I dont think them or Brampton will make it to 2021. This is a really shitty situation for a league that was at the highest point it has ever been financially.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
Great read. This is definitely the key takeaway from this article. Very important date for the 12 teams still in limbo
ECHL said:
Additionally, remaining ECHL teams will begin their Season on January 15, 2021, competing in a 62-game season upon jurisdictional approval.
I think that is the key phrase in regard to those teams. They haven't opted out, but they know they can't start in December. If they get jurisdictional approval to start by Jan 15, they are playing, if they don't then they will have to opt out. Is Nov 1 the absolute last date for those teams? Maybe, maybe not. It's possible a team is in as of Nov 1 and then an outbreak shuts them down and they withdraw closer to January. Also possible that a team might be able to schedule a road trip to start the season if their arena isn't available for Jan 15th, but is expected to be available later. The league might even have multiple schedules prepared if there are teams that can't commit 100% in Nov, but aren't ready to opt out because there is still a chance for them.

The playoff format hasn't been finalized pending "the eligible competing teams in the regular season". So it depends on how many teams actually finish the season, and likely where they are located, as far as the playoffs go. Sounds like they are prepared for various options depending on what the various governments allow and if any teams have an outbreak. Smart plan considering what has happened with the NFL Titans, and QMJHL Blainville. If I were on the BOG I would vote to wait on a playoff format until at least February and see where things are then - maybe even table it at that point and re-evaluate monthly. They are expecting the season to run into June, so the playoff format could be finalized in April potentially.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Great read. This is definitely the key takeaway from this article. Very important date for the 12 teams still in limbo
I'm not seeing the post from @Fergy22 with the Nov. 30 decision point. Was it deleted by the poster or moderation, or are the hockey gods punishing me with post blindness? :m-cool:

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Hearing reports that the Infinite Energy Center is responsible for the Gladiators not playing this year. Supposedly, they could only fill to 25% capacity (~2300) and the arena was unwilling to let the Gladiators play with diminished capacity. I do not see a reason for this. Why would an arena that has been closed since March not want to get any money they can, and why wouldn't they be trying to get events to come back to allow for employees to return? It does not make sense. There has been constant tension between the Gladiators and the arena for more than half a decade now, so that could have contributed to it, but I don't think it was reasonable. This is likely why the Gladiators were the one team that could not wait for November 30th to make a decision because it sounds like the decision was made for them.

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Hearing reports that the Infinite Energy Center is responsible for the Gladiators not playing this year. Supposedly, they could only fill to 25% capacity (~2300) and the arena was unwilling to let the Gladiators play with diminished capacity. I do not see a reason for this. Why would an arena that has been closed since March not want to get any money they can, and why wouldn't they be trying to get events to come back to allow for employees to return? It does not make sense. There has been constant tension between the Gladiators and the arena for more than half a decade now, so that could have contributed to it, but I don't think it was reasonable. This is likely why the Gladiators were the one team that could not wait for November 30th to make a decision because it sounds like the decision was made for them.

Because it costs $18,000 a month in energy costs, not to mention staffing costs, just to keep the ice frozen. With diminished capacity, there are fewer people to whom they can serve exorbitantly priced concessions and make up that cost. They know what the Glads have to draw per game for the arena to make a profit, and it's more than about 2,300.

And if you think they really care that much about getting employees back to work, let me show you a bridge that is for sale...

Mar 5, 2003
Worcester, MA
210sportsblog.com
Because it costs $18,000 a month in energy costs, not to mention staffing costs, just to keep the ice frozen. With diminished capacity, there are fewer people to whom they can serve exorbitantly priced concessions and make up that cost. They know what the Glads have to draw per game for the arena to make a profit, and it's more than about 2,300.

I don't know about other buildings, but the DCU Center and Railers rent out the ice during the times the Railers aren't using it to help pay for the cost of keeping the ice going. Presuming that's a normal occurrence in other buildings, that isn't likely to be happening as often as usual these days and would be another checkmark in the "can't play" column.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA

And if you think they really care that much about getting employees back to work, let me show you a bridge that is for sale...
Trust me I know how much the IEC gives a shit about their employees. It’s next to nothing a lot of the time. Just figured they’d want to bring back some employees before they find new jobs and the IEC has to train new employees.
Railers rent out the ice during the times the Railers aren't using it to help pay for the cost of keeping the ice going.
The arena never rents out the ice. They see it as a liability. The gladiators rent out the ice Saturday mornings and afternoons of game days

Royalsflagrunner77

Jul 26, 2013
Birdsboro PA
Trust me I know how much the IEC gives a shit about their employees. It’s next to nothing a lot of the time. Just figured they’d want to bring back some employees before they find new jobs and the IEC has to train new employees.

The arena never rents out the ice. They see it as a liability. The gladiators rent out the ice Saturday mornings and afternoons of game days

It really comes down to hoe the lease is . If the ownership group owns the building and the team I personally think they may chance on playing because at that point the ownership group is making some sort of income regardless. Were if a team has a lease on with the building the building may opt out for the shear fact the percentage of income they take in from the games from concessions and parking if the own the lot may not do them justice .

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
According to ECHL Week on Twitter, a draft of the Dec 11 - Jan 14 schedule is being reviewed by each of the 13 participating teams. Expect an update in the next week or two

Reactions: JMCx4

CrazyEddie20

Hey RuZZia - Cut Your Losses and Go Home.
Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
It really comes down to hoe the lease is . If the ownership group owns the building and the team I personally think they may chance on playing because at that point the ownership group is making some sort of income regardless. Were if a team has a lease on with the building the building may opt out for the shear fact the percentage of income they take in from the games from concessions and parking if the own the lot may not do them justice .

No, it really doesn't. Employing 30 people to make little money might lose more money than employing three people to make no money until the pandemic passes, regardless of whether the team owns the arena or leases it. And even if the team owns the building, they then have to cover staffing the building, the players, trainers, coaches and front office. If the seating capacity is limited, then their chances of being profitable (or losing less money than if they don't play) are slim to none.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
According to ECHL Week on Twitter, a draft of the Dec 11 - Jan 14 schedule is being reviewed by each of the 13 participating teams. Expect an update in the next week or two
Indicating there will be a merged 25-team schedule (or whatever the surviving number is) starting Jan. 15th? Or is Jan. 14th as long as the League dares hope this return-to-play will last?

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
Indicating there will be a merged 25-team schedule (or whatever the surviving number is) starting Jan. 15th? Or is Jan. 14th as long as the League dares hope this return-to-play will last?
I’d assume they’d start making a new schedule after the November 30 deadline for teams to opt in so it’d be a merged schedule with the current 13 and however many decide to join in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad