GDT: ECF #6 - 05/29/14 | Montreal Canadiens @ New York Rangers | 8:00 - NBC SPORTS, CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
There's no reason for the Rangers to lose this game tonight, none. We have the crowd and the matchups. We have the better defense and goaltending. We're the better team. A loss tonight at home with a chance to close out the series would really be an indictment on this group and the coach.

AHB*

Last time was exactly 20 years ago. Rangers will go to the SCF, the hockey gods have spoken ;)

But what a battle this series has been, injuries and suspensions on both sides.

We should bounce back in our own building after a bad performance in game 5. I said Rangers in 6 before the series, so here we go.

I was 4 then. I watched, but I don't remember it.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Read this in the Post this morning...

"goalie Henrik Lundqvist hardly blinks while facing elimination, carrying a 10-2 record over the past three seasons, with a 1.32 goals-against average and a .957 save percentage.
But those numbers in games when they have had a chance to close a team out, not in a Game 7?
He is 0-5, with a 5.53 goals-against average and a .808 save percentage. In four of those games he was pulled midway through, including Tuesday night in Montreal, when he gave up four goals on 19 shots and lasted just 28:58 before getting replaced by Cam Talbot."

Yikes...

He needs to change that tonight.

jwelles17

Apr 23, 2012
Henrik Lundqvist is 5-2 with a .930 save percentage (13 goals on 188 shots) in games after a loss this postseason.

Thanks. That stat is for those bringing up his stats in non elimination games. He hasn't played a 3-1 game away from home in the playoffs ever. Last game was his first and he obviously wasn't mentally prepared. Maybe the shalaking was a good thing. He'll realize he has to be better each and every game no matter what the circumstance is.

94wasagoodyear

Jan 19, 2014
There's no reason for the Rangers to lose this game tonight, none. We have the crowd and the matchups. We have the better defense and goaltending. We're the better team. A loss tonight at home with a chance to close out the series would really be an indictment on this group and the coach.

Yes, but this sentiment is shared by everyone. This creates ALOT of pressure for us. I hope that we are mentally strong because tonight will be the must pressure packed game we have had in a long time!

Fletch

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn
Visit site
Somewhat true, Revelation...

Montreal really isn't that bad a team. They got this far and beat a pretty good team to get here. They have some momentum too, and that continues with the return of Prust, who isn't a world beater, but it's a set of fresh legs, an agitator, and the Rangers will be shaking up their defense a bit. So perhaps a loss would be an indictment of the situation and the quality of the opponent at the same time. But, how about we all agree to stop writing the word loss today and root on the Rangers for a win!

AHB*

Montreal really isn't that bad a team. They got this far and beat a pretty good team to get here. They have some momentum too, and that continues with the return of Prust, who isn't a world beater, but it's a set of fresh legs, an agitator, and the Rangers will be shaking up their defense a bit. So perhaps a loss would be an indictment of the situation and the quality of the opponent at the same time. But, how about we all agree to stop writing the word loss today and root on the Rangers for a win!

It is statistically proven that there is no such thing as momentum from game to game.

dubidubidu

Apr 27, 2012
SI,NY 10304
This game reminds me a lot of Game 6 of the 86 NLCS. Mets leading the series 3-2, but Houston had Mike Scott going in game 7, who absolutely shut down the Mets in games 1 & 4. He was so dominant in that series he was named series MVP. So it was basically do-or-die for the Mets. Unfortunately I think most of us feel the same about a game 7 in the Bell Center.

If this game goes the hockey equivalent of 16 innings like that game did, I don't think I'm gonna make it tonight. :shakehead

bosco027

May 9, 2014
I can see why Boston fans were so pissed. Montreal plays dirty and they bring you to their level. We need to play our game.

Couldn't agree more. Would love to hear the Garden like it was when we were on our way to sweeping the Thrashers. You couldn't even hear the National Anthem!

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Hank can't be career 0-5 with those numbers when closing out a series in less than 7. We beat the Devils and Thrashers in less than 7, no?

toastbag

Apr 23, 2012
As much as I wanted to see the Canadiens fans have to watch the Rangers celebrate, it will be so much nicer seeing the Rangers celebrate on home ice. Come on Rangers, let's do this!!!

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think it's important that the Rangers focus on what got them here.

Headed down the stretch they learned how to manage the puck as a unit and keep possession. That gets the forecheck going correctly, it allows them to make efficient changes on home ice, and it eliminates giveaways.

Make a play with the puck. That's what AV says and when the Rangers are on that's what they do, in every zone of the rink.

What I'm concerned about is that they'll concentrate too much on defense since they've given up some goals, and back into the zone and allow the Habs to get into prime scoring areas. Their gap control sucked in Game 5. AV knows all of this. Stand up on the blue line and force the play. It could get wild in the first with both teams gunning for it, pinching. If there is a great scoring chance or pp early they NEED to capitalize on it and take off from there. None of this shaft saves by Tokarski crap.

corduroyg

Apr 10, 2012
nyc
biggest ranger game since june 14 1994. if we want a realistic shot at winning the cup we gotta win tonite. chances are slim we win game 7 at bell center, and even if we do what will this team have left for the finals? 3 straight 7 game series, yikes. win tonite, get almost a full week of rest, and hope kings hawks goes 7 with multiple overtimes.

must win tonite, they gotta treat this like a game 7.

sark76

Oct 9, 2011
Pripyat Marshes
This game reminds me a lot of Game 6 of the 86 NLCS. Mets leading the series 3-2, but Houston had Mike Scott going in game 7, who absolutely shut down the Mets in games 1 & 4. He was so dominant in that series he was named series MVP. So it was basically do-or-die for the Mets. Unfortunately I think most of us feel the same about a game 7 in the Bell Center.

If this game goes the hockey equivalent of 16 innings like that game did, I don't think I'm gonna make it tonight. :shakehead

The dangerous Kevin Bass.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad