News Article: Eberle On Confidence

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
pretty interesting about the Edmonton media. Maybe this is why they say athletes shouldn’t read the papers lol

“The Edmonton media can be pretty brutal and your confidence goes and this is a game you can’t play if you don’t have confidence,” Eberle said. “It’s that simple. It’s the Edmonton Oilers and everything around it. When you read articles every day about how much you suck, it’s tough”

Jordan Eberle says leaving Oilers helped rebuild his confidence

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
If you want to see proof in action, go over to the thread on the Oilers board about this article. As bad as the dark years here were, I do not think we were ever as close to being as miserable as they are.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Edmonton media reacted to this exactly as you expected they would. Really happy Eberle is out of there, hopefully RNH is next.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Glad to see Eberle finding some individual success. Edmonton, we need to be rebuilt top to bottom. The media isn’t why Eberle didn’t have any success it’s the team never surrounded the old core with players to win. Same shit is happening with McDavid. The media and fans look for a scapegoat, unfortunately Ebs was that guy.

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
The oilers don’t need to be rebuilt top to bottom. They already have a few very good and one great foundational piece.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
On paper the Oilers look pretty darn good. Winning is tough to say the least, when a culture struggles for awhile its sure hard to reclaim it. Just ask our own orange blue and white through the years

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
On paper the Oilers look pretty darn good. Winning is tough to say the least, when a culture struggles for awhile its sure hard to reclaim it. Just ask our own orange blue and white through the years

They're a very flawed team and I don't think it's a quick fix.

Everything went right for them last year, they came back down to Earth and cratered. They have zero depth. Defense is very suspect. Chiarelli has been terrible for them, just like Tim Murray killed Buffalo's 'perfect rebuild' model.

Last edited:

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
They're a very flawed team and I don't think it's a quick fix.

Everything went right for them last year, they came back down to Earth and cratered. They have zero depth. Defense is very suspect. Chiarelli has been terrible for them, just like Tim Murray killed Buffalo's 'perfect rebuild' model.

Tim Murray had the most smug rebuild I've ever seen. He looked at the entire league like he was smarter than everyone else. So not only did he lose his job, but his product looks awful too.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Glad to see Eberle finding some individual success. Edmonton, we need to be rebuilt top to bottom. The media isn’t why Eberle didn’t have any success it’s the team never surrounded the old core with players to win. Same **** is happening with McDavid. The media and fans look for a scapegoat, unfortunately Ebs was that guy.
I am gonna have to cut the Oilers fans some slack.
If my team had a $6m per scoring winger,asked to provide secondary scoring and he ended the playoffs 0 goals, 2 assists in 13 playoff games, I would be pretty salty about it.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I don’t care about Eberle’s past, just happy the isles have Eberle now. Seems to have meshed perfectly with Barzal and Ladd.

I liked Edmonton, felt bad for them after all those bad years (kinda like us). But have soured on them because of their fans. They actually thought they were gonna get Hamonic for Eberle straight up. It became very annoying after a while. Turns out we got a lot for Hamonic, and traded a player who hasn’t reached his potential as an Islander (Strome), and who may never reach it, for Eberle, who has found himself again, and is on pace for and excellent year. Win-win for the Isles.

Reactions: dood

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
To be fair, if Barzal hadn't come in and commanded the ice like he has, we may not be so high on Eberle. Eberle's played great with Barzal and I'm thrilled with the trade, but Barzal is the guy driving that line and without that Eberle would be probably pretty meh without any other center not named Tavares or Barzal.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
To be fair, if Barzal hadn't come in and commanded the ice like he has, we may not be so high on Eberle. Eberle's played great with Barzal and I'm thrilled with the trade, but Barzal is the guy driving that line and without that Eberle would be probably pretty meh without any other center not named Tavares or Barzal.
He didn't look that good with Tavares.

lazycop

Dave's not here.
Mar 25, 2006
I'm not sure why any player would willingly go up there and submit themselves to that media crap up in Canada.

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com

You could also say that Barzal wouldn't be playing as well without Eberle.

Reactions: Eberzal

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I'm not sure why any player would willingly go up there and submit themselves to that media crap up in Canada.

Doughty had a good interview about this, about the idea of playing in Toronto specifically. It's the biggest reason I can't see JT signing there... I think he likes not being bothered that much here.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
pretty interesting about the Edmonton media. Maybe this is why they say athletes shouldn’t read the papers lol

“The Edmonton media can be pretty brutal and your confidence goes and this is a game you can’t play if you don’t have confidence,” Eberle said. “It’s that simple. It’s the Edmonton Oilers and everything around it. When you read articles every day about how much you suck, it’s tough”

Jordan Eberle says leaving Oilers helped rebuild his confidence

haha, he's come to right team / media situation!

2ndGenIslander

Feb 2, 2012
Nassau
some people like Eberle (and I suspect JT) really don't want to be the Media's center of attention. I know they are pros and used to the criticism, but if you constantly read negativity about your performance, i don't see how that will help re-establish confidence when you are already down. I expect him to continue to thrive here under little to non-existent scrutiny

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
some people like Eberle (and I suspect JT) really don't want to be the Media's center of attention. I know they are pros and used to the criticism, but if you constantly read negativity about your performance, i don't see how that will help re-establish confidence when you are already down. I expect him to continue to thrive here under little to non-existent scrutiny
Some people actually do thrive in that environment. The "I'll show 'em!" mindset. But yeah, I'm with ya. I wouldn't want to play pro baseball in NY and I wouldn't want to play pro hockey in Toronto or Montreal.

Reactions: 2ndGenIslander

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad