Eastside Hockey Manager - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Sorry if this has been asked before, I skimmed a bit of the thread and couldn't see anything. Does anybody know of a way to bypass the glitch where an opposing team takes a penalty and attempts to ice there backup goalie as a skater?

The game just completely locks up with game view showing the backup skating back and forth like 5 feet and won't progress at all.
First I've heard of it but there are still a few bugs like this and I don't think there are ways to get around them besides restarting.

Really? This happens to me a lot. Especially when testing dbs with lots of expansion teams. Sometimes even now with preseason if my board schedules a game against a team without a full roster and there is an injury (with no skaters to fill that position).
I don't recall ever hearing about this either.
Is it reproducible? If possible, it'd likely be helpful if you could report it and upload a saved game at SI Eastside Hockey Manager Bugs Forum

bashbros32

Jan 12, 2014
Brockville, Ontario
I don't recall ever hearing about this either.
Is it reproducible? If possible, it'd likely be helpful if you could report it and upload a saved game at SI Eastside Hockey Manager Bugs Forum

See I'm not sure that it is reproducible. It is very dependent.

A team needs to not have a full roster of skaters dressed for a game, then have either an injury or a misconduct penalty.

As stated earlier it typically happens in experimental databases. Like @BKarchitect nhlx with either the wha or nhl2. Even then you would have to have the "remove all extra players" or whichever the option is checked.

However with the example I gave of the east final with the current nhl2x db, the bluejackets had a full roster, there was a misconduct penalty in the first 5 minutes, the a.i hadn't even rotated in the teams 4th line forwards yet. Instead of just dressing the 4th line forwards the game attempted to dress the backup goalie as a skater.

I'm assuming the goalie position is hard coded to only play goal, hence the game freaking out and the goalie skating back and forth 5ish feet. (Due to there already being a goalie in net and the backup having nowhere to go to play his hard coded position)

So yeah. A little hard to reproduce cause it relies on the a.i either getting injured or taking a misconduct penalty.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
See I'm not sure that it is reproducible. It is very dependent.
I think at least posting at SI would be worth it (and a saved game couldn't hurt).

I'm not a coder/developer and don't understand such things, but maybe Riz would find it helpful as is and/or maybe he's able to ensure needed circumstances happen

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
First thing: there will be some players with old names like Lemieux, Gagne, Hull, Hasek... in mid 2140' I found new motivation.. then I crated about 15 players who were my childhood heroes or interesting players (Pálffy, Hasek, Lemieux, Lindros, Bure, both Hulls, Lidstrom, Forsberg, Chelios, Selänne, Jagr....)

So only Gretzky and PIMs 'heroes' are original Gretzky and these PIMs 'heroes' in these rankings.

Goals:

https://ctrlv.cz/shots/2019/08/26/UCOn.png

https://ctrlv.cz/shots/2019/08/26/V9vC.png

PIM:
https://ctrlv.cz/shots/2019/08/26/3hqb.png

Wins:
https://ctrlv.cz/shots/2019/08/26/m6Qo.png

I had Gagne-Lemieux-Hull .. Lidstrom .. Hasek in NY Islanders.. they were dynasty (17 cups in a row).

Last edited:

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
First thing: there will be some players with old names like Lemieux, Gagne, Hull, Hasek... in mid 2140' I found new motivation.. then I crated about 15 players who were my childhood heroes or interesting players (Pálffy, Hasek, Lemieux, Lindros, Bure, both Hulls, Lidstrom, Forsberg, Chelios, Selänne, Jagr....)

So only Gretzky and PIMs 'heroes' are original Gretzky and these PIMs 'heroes' in these rankings.

Goals:

https://ctrlv.cz/shots/2019/08/26/UCOn.png

Assists:
https://ctrlv.cz/shots/2019/08/26/V9vC.png

PIM:
https://ctrlv.cz/shots/2019/08/26/3hqb.png

Wins:
https://ctrlv.cz/shots/2019/08/26/m6Qo.png

I had Gagne-Lemieux-Hull .. Lidstrom .. Hasek in NY Islanders.. they were dynasty (17 cups in a row).

How in the heck did you get a player to have 4500 career points??

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I've given up on the high school/youth leagues for now, just not seeding long-term enough to be functional as a playable league.

A few more things I've learned:

- Seeding with extra players on playable and junior teams let's all these H.S. and youth teams be pretty well stocked at the very beginning but over time they become less and less populated by generated players.

- It almost all has to do with the level of hockey in the state that the H.S. or youth program is in - for example, the Minnesota and New England and Michigan programs continue to get well-stocked by local talent but there is not enough youth generated in non-traditional hockey areas. Even places like Missouri and Colorado who now produce lots of talent - I cannot get them computer to seed them, even when their local H.S. and youth clubs are given high reps.

- I thought one thing that might solve this is to add more geographical content to those states...and I added tons of cities with full coordinates and high attraction levels to a lot of states and it has zero effect. There is something in the game that is letting the player generation process "know" to produce lots of Minnesotans and New Englanders but I am not sure what it is - nothing that is editable seems to have an effect. There is no "hockey importance" level for individual states like there are for countries.

- I tried playing with H.S. youth league and team reputations, thinking maybe what was in the DB was too high or too low but again, no real effect that I could see.

I may still leave these leagues in eventually as playable leagues, not so much so people can manage at those levels but so that history is generated and I can also enforce league rules (like limit foreigners so a Dallas youth program doesn't have kids from North Korea and Dubai). It would be more for background simming than to run as a human GM.

PensFan101

Forever Champions.
Apr 23, 2007
Owen Sound
Record in points is about 3000 points.

Sorry I misread the screenshot - thought it was career assists only.

Still, how did you get a player to 1500 career goals? I have little problem building a super team after several years, but even then my players only rarely win scoring titles.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
Sorry I misread the screenshot - thought it was career assists only.

Still, how did you get a player to 1500 career goals? I have little problem building a super team after several years, but even then my players only rarely win scoring titles.
Hull was amazing goal-scoring forward. For example he had +90 goals in 3 seasons in a row (94, 96, 93). His linemates were Gagne and Lemieux.

Maybe you need to fix your tactics (unit tactics and personal tactics).

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
I've given up on the high school/youth leagues for now, just not seeding long-term enough to be functional as a playable league.

A few more things I've learned:

- Seeding with extra players on playable and junior teams let's all these H.S. and youth teams be pretty well stocked at the very beginning but over time they become less and less populated by generated players.

- It almost all has to do with the level of hockey in the state that the H.S. or youth program is in - for example, the Minnesota and New England and Michigan programs continue to get well-stocked by local talent but there is not enough youth generated in non-traditional hockey areas. Even places like Missouri and Colorado who now produce lots of talent - I cannot get them computer to seed them, even when their local H.S. and youth clubs are given high reps.

- I thought one thing that might solve this is to add more geographical content to those states...and I added tons of cities with full coordinates and high attraction levels to a lot of states and it has zero effect. There is something in the game that is letting the player generation process "know" to produce lots of Minnesotans and New Englanders but I am not sure what it is - nothing that is editable seems to have an effect. There is no "hockey importance" level for individual states like there are for countries.

- I tried playing with H.S. youth league and team reputations, thinking maybe what was in the DB was too high or too low but again, no real effect that I could see.

I may still leave these leagues in eventually as playable leagues, not so much so people can manage at those levels but so that history is generated and I can also enforce league rules (like limit foreigners so a Dallas youth program doesn't have kids from North Korea and Dubai). It would be more for background simming than to run as a human GM.

Is that the only real 'limitation' EHM actually has with implementing a league? Or is the NCAA/College leagues an issue as well? Maybe this could be worked into the 1.5 update? (maybe Riz already has that something in the works)

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
So - the whole US/Canada High School, Prep School, Youth Programs as playable leagues is on the shelf for now but for the next version of NHLX, I will be expanding upon D1 NCAA conferences - much based on real speculation for the shifting future of the college landscape:

1) In real life, seven programs from the WCHA have already said they are withdrawing from that conference to form their own, more geographical-centered conference - citing costs of travel to Alabama-Huntsville and the Alaskan schools as prohibitive. So with that the case, I'm introducing the new Midwest Collegiate Hockey Association (MWCHA). This will be an 12-team league featuring the seven break-away WCHA programs - Bemidji State, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Michigan Tech, Minnesota State and Northern Michigan. Also being added are two programs from the Atlantic Hockey Association that have already been rumored to be part of these talks - both based in Pennsylvania - Robert Morris and Mercyhurst. Finally I am elevating three ACHA (amateur club hockey) powers - 2019 champs Minot State from North Dakota, Lindenwood, who are 3-time champs and based in hockey crazed St. Louis (Saint Charles to be exact) and Iowa State who have a really good and well-supported ACHA team every year. And yes, by elevating Minot State we get the anticipated "Battle of the Beavers" between Minot State and Bemidji State in neighboring Minnesota! Edit...add actually with Mercyhurst joining we also get the "Battle of the Lakers" between them and Lake Superior :P

As an aside, for those unfamiliar, while ACHA is amateur (not scholarship), well-supported and run programs at that level can be the precursor to a jump to D1 scholarship hockey - Penn State and Arizona State are two recent examples.

2) The AHA is losing Robert Morris and Mercyhurst as well as Air Force (more on that later) but Alabama-Huntsville will be added as well what seems like a surprise name - the University of Alabama Crimson Tide. But it's no joke - they have an incredibly well-supported ACHA team and indeed hockey has become something of a fascinating niche sport in that state. This will give Huntsville a natural geographic rival as they both enter the Atlantic Hockey Association together and gives the league a 10-team structure.

3) The Big Ten will add Illinois to get to an 8-team format. Illinois is the great "what if" that is out there in the NCAA hockey world - Chicago is crushing it with youth hockey and there have long been suggestions that Illinois is the next team that needs to look long and hard at adding a D1 program - so they have arrived. Plus the 8-team format finally makes the Big Ten Conference feel like a real league.

4) Hockey East will add Syracuse to round their format out to 12 teams and it's a natural geographic rival for pretty much all the schools in that league and will kindle some some intense games with other Big East schools.

5) The NCHC is the only conference losing a team and not adding - technically though they aren't really losing anybody...Arizona State moves out in this database but technically they were never really in so the conference is it's real 8-team format. Top to bottom its typically the best conference in the country so no reason to do much tinkering.

6) The ECAC remains exactly as is with its 12-team footprint.

7) Finally - I'm adding the great white whale of collegiate hockey - the mythical West Coast conference. Specifically, the Pacific Coast Conference or PCC (slightly different than the PAC as you'll see). First, it'll be home to those current Western teams I've left homeless - Alaska, Alaska-Anchorage, Air Force and Arizona State. Next, throw in ACHA power UNLV (you can no longer laugh at Las Vegas hockey with the success of the Golden Knights). And then throw in 5 new additions from the PAC - USC, Cal, Oregon, Washington and Colorado. That will create a 10-team conference to span the western footprint of the US and bring the highest level NCAA hockey action to that region.

Last edited:

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Here are some screens of the two all-new conferences...everything working smoothly, I was even able to expand the Frozen Four/NCAA Tournament from 6 to 8 with 7 conference playoff champions + host club.

24e0b925728a94909a892afd379682f7.jpg

85d52051d8d3c72d63dee75868485921.jpg

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
So - the whole US/Canada High School, Prep School, Youth Programs as playable leagues is on the shelf for now but for the next version of NHLX, I will be expanding upon D1 NCAA conferences - much based on real speculation for the shifting future of the college landscape:

1) In real life, seven programs from the WCHA have already said they are withdrawing from that conference to form their own, more geographical-centered conference - citing costs of travel to Alabama-Huntsville and the Alaskan schools as prohibitive. So with that the case, I'm introducing the new Midwest Collegiate Hockey Association (MWCHA). This will be an 12-team league featuring the seven break-away WCHA programs - Bemidji State, Bowling Green, Ferris State, Lake Superior State, Michigan Tech, Minnesota State and Northern Michigan. Also being added are two programs from the Atlantic Hockey Association that have already been rumored to be part of these talks - both based in Pennsylvania - Robert Morris and Mercyhurst. Finally I am elevating three ACHA (amateur club hockey) powers - 2019 champs Minot State from North Dakota, Lindenwood, who are 3-time champs and based in hockey crazed St. Louis (Saint Charles to be exact) and Iowa State who have a really good and well-supported ACHA team every year. And yes, by elevating Minot State we get the anticipated "Battle of the Beavers" between Minot State and Bemidji State in neighboring Minnesota! Edit...add actually with Mercyhurst joining we also get the "Battle of the Lakers" between them and Lake Superior :P

As an aside, for those unfamiliar, while ACHA is amateur (not scholarship), well-supported and run programs at that level can be the precursor to a jump to D1 scholarship hockey - Penn State and Arizona State are two recent examples.

2) The AHA is losing Robert Morris and Mercyhurst as well as Air Force (more on that later) but Alabama-Huntsville will be added as well what seems like a surprise name - the University of Alabama Crimson Tide. But it's no joke - they have an incredibly well-supported ACHA team and indeed hockey has become something of a fascinating niche sport in that state. This will give Huntsville a natural geographic rival as they both enter the Atlantic Hockey Association together and gives the league a 10-team structure.

3) The Big Ten will add Illinois to get to an 8-team format. Illinois is the great "what if" that is out there in the NCAA hockey world - Chicago is crushing it with youth hockey and there have long been suggestions that Illinois is the next team that needs to look long and hard at adding a D1 program - so they have arrived. Plus the 8-team format finally makes the Big Ten Conference feel like a real league.

4) Hockey East will add Syracuse to round their format out to 12 teams and it's a natural geographic rival for pretty much all the schools in that league and will kindle some some intense games with other Big East schools.

5) The NCHC is the only conference losing a team and not adding - technically though they aren't really losing anybody...Arizona State moves out in this database but technically they were never really in so the conference is it's real 8-team format. Top to bottom its typically the best conference in the country so no reason to do much tinkering.

6) The ECAC remains exactly as is with its 12-team footprint.

7) Finally - I'm adding the great white whale of collegiate hockey - the mythical West Coast conference. Specifically, the Pacific Coast Conference or PCC (slightly different than the PAC as you'll see). First, it'll be home to those current Western teams I've left homeless - Alaska, Alaska-Anchorage, Air Force and Arizona State. Next, throw in ACHA power UNLV (you can no longer laugh at Las Vegas hockey with the success of the Golden Knights). And then throw in 5 new additions from the PAC - USC, Cal, Oregon, Washington and Colorado. That will create a 10-team conference to span the western footprint of the US and bring the highest level NCAA hockey action to that region.

Dude, I can't read this. if I play this I won't get anything done the rest of the year

edit: also one fun speculation I have is that augustana might want to go D1 hockey since they are going D1 in all athletics. Same for University of St. Thomas in MN

MikeSteaks

Sep 30, 2017
Anyone come across and super duper stars? Polish winger Przemyslaw Laciak is currently sitting at 1068 goals at the age of 35 in my game.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Anyone come across and super duper stars? Polish winger Przemyslaw Laciak is currently sitting at 1068 goals at the age of 35 in my game.

I had an older game where I managed to draft all of Alexander Holtz, Kappo Kaako and Matthew Savoie playing on the same line, and were absolute beasts. Holtz managed to 1100 + goals over his long career (fun fact Laine beat Gretz record a couple years prior, so Holtz beat Laine's goalscoring record)

Savoie I think was 2nd all time in points. I think he managed to get 2300 points or something.

These were without tinkering with tactics, still, nothing like your guy :O

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Hm. Not sure if I am the only one with this problem. I've been trying to start a new save with the current TBL database. I do my typical settings, and for some reason, the game keeps crashing after a week or so. Is it because my database config is so big? I typically play with the NHL only and I can't figure out why it's doing that.

Even with my old workstation from 2007, the game can't even sim a day (with any database) before it crashes.

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
I had an older game where I managed to draft all of Alexander Holtz, Kappo Kaako and Matthew Savoie playing on the same line, and were absolute beasts. Holtz managed to 1100 + goals over his long career (fun fact Laine beat Gretz record a couple years prior, so Holtz beat Laine's goalscoring record)

Savoie I think was 2nd all time in points. I think he managed to get 2300 points or something.

These were without tinkering with tactics, still, nothing like your guy :O
Relax guys.

You can't beat my players. :naughty:

By the way, I'm in 2180, guys!

Beauterham

Aug 19, 2018
Hi!

Long post alert!

When trying to optimize the training I've been using Mplasse's training tactics. And I'm wondering if I'm doing it correctly?

So based on Mplasse's training I always try to hire:

- 2 Conditioningcoaches with 12+ points in Determination/Man management/Working w. Youngsters. 14+ points in Discipline and motivating and a Conditioning-based Coaching style.

- 2 coaches for skating/shooting/off.skills/def.skills: with 12+ points in Determination/Man management/Working w. Youngsters/Coaching Defensemen/Coaching Forwards and a Technique-based coaching style.

- 1/2 Goalie coach(es): with 12+ points in Determination/Man management/Working w. Youngsters, 16+ coaching Goalies and a Technique-based coaching style.

- 1/2 Tactical coaches: with 12+ points in Determination/Man management/Working w. Youngsters, 15+ coaching Goalies and a Technique-based coaching style.

Sometimes it's possible to hire a coach who is adequate enough to coach both goalies and tactics.

However, I've stumbled upon the in game hints, which say:

"The best kind of Fitness coach should have a high attribute in coaching defense or forward (higher one is used) and have a coaching style that is conditioning based."

"The best kind of Skating coach should have a high attribute in coaching defense or forward (higher one is used) and have a coaching style that is conditioning based."

"The best kind of Tactics coach should have a good rating in Tactical Knowledge and have a coaching style of Technique based."

"The best kind of Shooting coach should have a good skill in coaching forwards, have a coaching style of Technique based and have a tactical style of attacking."

"The best kind of Offensive skills coach should have a high skill in coaching forwards and have a tactical style of attacking."

"The best kind of Defensive skills coach should have a high skill in coaching defence and have a tactical style of defensive."

"The best kind of Goaltending coach should have a high rating in coaching goalies."

So am I doing it wrong or are the in game hints not optimal?

If I understand it correctly you should use the same 2 coaches on Conditioning and Skating and they should have a Conditioning based coaching style + high attribute in either Defense or Forward. Does this mean Discipline and Motivation isn't required to be as high as I thought? When it says "higher one is used" does that still mean that all skaters (defensive AND offensive, eventhough one stat is really high and one really low) benefit from the highest stat?

The shooting coach should have a good skill in coaching Forwards, does this mean that this is beneficial to defensemen too or does this only apply to Forwards?

Same question applies to a Defensive skill coach. If this coach has a high rating in coaching defence does that also apply to defensive skills for forwards?

I don't need a Technique-based coaching style to train Off.skills and/or Def.skills?

As you see... a lot of questions. ;)

Last edited:

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
When trying to optimize the training I've been using Mplasse's training tactics. And I'm wondering if I'm doing it correctly?
I've always done training and tactics myself, so I don't have any direct experience with Mplasse's training, but I'm not surprised it doesn't work ideally given it was created for EHM07

In the Steam version of EHM the various Player Roles and their different Attribute types Player Roles - Key/Essential/Non-Essential/Irrelevant Atts - EHM The Blue Line means that not all players develop the same way (like they did in EHM07)

The Mplasse thread on TBL having a comment from this year noting "this method requires a lot of fatigue management" doesn't surprise me as that is another difference (fatigue was less of a factor in EHM07)

P.S. I think that the different practice/training plans and the different tactics plans work in EHM for some teams/players & not for others, there's no "one way" to do things

Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Hi!

Long post alert!

So based on Mplasse's training I always try to hire:

- 2 Conditioningcoaches with 12+ points in Determination/Man management/Working w. Youngsters. 14+ points in Discipline and motivating and a Conditioning-based Coaching style.

- 2 coaches for skating/shooting/off.skills/def.skills: with 12+ points in Determination/Man management/Working w. Youngsters/Coaching Defensemen/Coaching Forwards and a Technique-based coaching style.

- 1/2 Goalie coach(es): with 12+ points in Determination/Man management/Working w. Youngsters, 16+ coaching Goalies and a Technique-based coaching style.

- 1/2 Tactical coaches: with 12+ points in Determination/Man management/Working w. Youngsters, 15+ coaching Goalies and a Technique-based coaching style.

Sometimes it's possible to hire a coach who is adequate enough to coach both goalies and tactics.

However, I've stumbled upon the in game hints, which say:

So am I doing it wrong or are the in game hints not optimal?

If I understand it correctly you should use the same 2 coaches on Conditioning and Skating and they should have a Conditioning based coaching style + high attribute in either Defense or Forward. Does this mean Discipline and Motivation isn't required to be as high as I thought? When it says "higher one is used" does that still mean that all skaters (defensive AND offensive, eventhough one stat is really high and one really low) benefit from the highest stat?

The shooting coach should have a good skill in coaching Forwards, does this mean that this is beneficial to defensemen too or does this only apply to Forwards?

Same question applies to a Defensive skill coach. If this coach has a high rating in coaching defence does that also apply to defensive skills for forwards?

I don't need a Technique-based coaching style to train Off.skills and/or Def.skills?

As you see... a lot of questions. ;)

I let my Head Coach take control of practice and all that jazz. I'm not much of a control freak when it comes to that. I typically hire my coaches with one specialty in mind. My goalie coach has the attribute of 20, much like with a coach that trains defense-man and one for forwards. The fourth coach is one that has high tactical abilities and motivating.

I've yet to understand how the game 'interprets' Determination and Motivating in regards to coaching. I always thought that they were the same thing?

I've always done training and tactics myself, so I don't have any direct experience with Mplasse's training, but I'm not surprised it doesn't work ideally given it was created for EHM07

In the Steam version of EHM the various Player Roles and their different Attribute types Player Roles - Key/Essential/Non-Essential/Irrelevant Atts - EHM The Blue Line means that not all players develop the same way (like they did in EHM07)

The Mplasse thread on TBL having a comment from this year noting "this method requires a lot of fatigue management" doesn't surprise me as that is another difference (fatigue was less of a factor in EHM07)

P.S. I think that the different practice/training plans and the different tactics plans work in EHM for some teams/players & not for others, there's no "one way" to do things

As Nino says, training and practice in EHM07 often doesn't equal and port over to EHM1

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Hm. Not sure if I am the only one with this problem. I've been trying to start a new save with the current TBL database. I do my typical settings, and for some reason, the game keeps crashing after a week or so. Is it because my database config is so big? I typically play with the NHL only and I can't figure out why it's doing that.

Even with my old workstation from 2007, the game can't even sim a day (with any database) before it crashes.

The current TBL had a lot of issues with the extra_config file. If it’s crashing at ‘Creating Shortlists’ that is the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad