Series Talk: WCSF Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers. (VAN leads 3-2)

You prediction for this series?

• Vancouver in 7

Votes: 190 16.9%
  • Vancouver in 6

Votes: 191 17.0%
  • Vancouver in 5

Votes: 46 4.1%
  • Vancouver in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%
  • Edmonton in 7

Votes: 82 7.3%
  • Edmonton in 6

Votes: 362 32.2%
  • Edmonton in 5

Votes: 174 15.5%
  • Edmonton in 4

Votes: 40 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
IMG_6101.jpeg

Vancouver Canucks vs Edmonton Oilers
WCSF

***Mod notes***

We understand this will be an intense series filled with emotions. We ask that you refrain from personal attacks towards others members, fans, and cities.

If you feel someone is baiting or trolling you, please report it rather than reply. Thank you.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I expect a long series (six or seven games), but I think the Oilers will win out. (And no, I won't be changing my mind if the Oil lose game one.)

Even if we call their top-end scorers about even, I think the Oilers have more gritty, veteran-type guys (Kane, Ekholm, Perry, Ryan... if he plays) than Vancouver, and I think the experience and grit will be a factor in a series like this with such high-pressure on the teams.

The Oilers' top guys are also really, really hungry and desperate for another crack at getting through the final 4. I think the Canucks' mentality is more like, 'Thank God we got through the first round with our back-up goalies'.
I also think that the series goes longer. But I suspect you realize that the bolded assumption is being quite generous to the Canucks. Looking at their players with 50+ points this year and go only by production you get the following:

Miller 37 66 103 <-> Draisaitl 41-65-106
Hughes 17-75-92 <-> Bouchard 18-64-82
Pettersson 34-55-89 <-> Hyman 54-23-77
Boeser 40-33-73 <-> Nuge 18-49-67

does give a small edge to Vancouver. If you go by numbers over two years it looks like

Miller 69-116-185 <-> Draisaitl 93-141-234
Hughes 24-144-168 <-> Bouchard 26-96-122
Pettersson 73-118-191<-> Hyman 90-70-160
Boeser 58-70-128 <-> Nuge 55-116-171

so advantage slightly to the Oilers. The elephant in the room though is the guy missing from the Oiler's list above.

In a 7 game series of course things can be different. Bt from a historical perspective top end talent is definitely on the Oiler's side. Especially as you say given the way 97/29 tend to elevate their games in the playoffs.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Duder54

Dec 11, 2017
Canadian ex-pat in Zurich, Switzerland
No idea why. has to do with stuff from like 8 years ago. But judging by the numerous negative threads on this board and clear lopsided opinions from nearly every fan base, the oilers clearly did something to make the other fan bases lose their shit on a regular basis
Justified or not, I think a lot of it is probably just jealousy that the Oilers ended up with the best hockey player in the world and their teams didn't.

As an Oilers fan, I've always been jealous of organizations that have consistently competent GMs and management, so I guess I kind of get it. :laugh:

Reactions: Shibumi and Dust

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Oilers didn't ride one crazy win streak though. They rode the best record for 85% of the season after a coaching and systems change.
You can also go back to Feb 28th 2022, the day the Oilers traded for Ekholm. That was a team altering move. Since then the record has been 67-29-7. The only teams with a higher winning percentage over that period are Boston, Dallas and the Rangers.

It is no coincidence that during the team's abysmal 2-9-1 start that not only was McDavid hurt but Ekholm was playing through a hip flexor injury that kept him out of the entire preseason.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duder54

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I picked Oilers in 6. Vancouver will be stiffer competition than LA but I think losing their goaltender is a factor. I expected them to bounce Nashville in 5 with a bigger overall goal differential than what ended up being the case. Edmonton has many intangibles aside from the obvious scoring threat. And long as Skinner remains steady I expect them to prevail. Nice to see an all Canadian match up regardless

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
A lot of people voting did not watch these two teams play each other this year.

Results:

Canucks 8 - Oilers 1
Canucks 4 - Oilers 3
Canucks 6 - Oilers 2
Canucks 3 - Oilers 1

There's this thing with match-ups. I was praying the Nucks wouldn't play the Knights or Kings because both have caused havoc for the Canucks. The Oilers are literally the opposite. No team played worse against the Canucks this year.

Meanwhile, the Oilers owned the Kings all year and again in the playoffs.

The Oilers can certainly win and probably should if the Canucks don't have Demko for most of the series but so far this season the Oilers have massively struggled against the way the Canucks play.
The Oilers do tend to have more of an issue vs fast teams but the season series needs context. The first three games happened during the Oilers 2-9-1 start where they were playing horrific hockey comparable with the Decade of Darkness. McDavid and Ekholm were both playing hurt. The latter injury, a hip flexor issue, was quite obvious as he simply struggled to get anything done. He was a -4 over that stretch. In contrast, in the other 88 games Ekholm has played as an Oiler he has been a +76 player. With all the flaws associated with +/- the stark contrast does illustrate how important a healthy Ekholm is to the Oilers defensive game.

The last game of the year was also without McDavid.

The bottom line is that this could be a very interesting series. But the regular season results probably don't tell you a lot about how it will play out,.

NugeDraiMoto

Feb 1, 2020
Not an easy series either way. Two great teams, two offensive juggernauts. That being said I picked Oilers in 7!

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Cheering for Van, but unfortunately I think Edmonton is going to steamroll them.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
They will beat each other up bad and the winner won’t be able to get past the Central champs

olafsson

Jun 18, 2017
Edmonton is nowhere near as defensive as Nashville. The Preds literally blocked everything and the kitchen sink, and what did make it to the net, Saros stopped. I expect this series Vancouver’s offence comes back to life like it usually does vs offence minded teams. Nurse/Ceci pairing better be prepared, and skinner needs to bring his A game or this will be a closer series than a lot want to admit

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

VanOriginal

Jun 15, 2019
This will be a fun series, can't wait for it to start. 5v5 I think the teams are equal. It's the PP and PK for Van that is the biggest issue. It will be hard to contain Edmontons PP, more so without Demko, they will get their goals and most of them will be on their PP. If Van can't get their PP going Edmonton wins in 5. If they can get their PP going Van will take it in 7. This will be a hard fought, bone crunching, fan crazed, entertaining as hell series. Whoever wins will be tired and be in tough against Colorado, whom I think wins against either team.

Reactions: Chairman Maouth

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad