Eastside Hockey Manager - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Hmm, went through the first season of the latest TBL challenge where you take over the 1999 Tampa Bay Lightning. I tanked hard in the first year to get the first pick, which was tough with the Jets, Wild and CBJ having hardly any players. So I got my pick, however I lost 3 of my better players to Free Agency because they wanted to be as far away from the Lightning as possible! Oops! :laugh:

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
If you're not doing the challenge, you can use the editor found here: http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=6745

If you are doing the challenge, this would be against the rules though. Also, it only works on new games, you can't modify a save.

Hey thanks! I ended up starting the 98 pack as the Blue Jackets, so I had to basically build my team from scratch with free agents and waivers claims. I'm currently struggling to hit the salary floor so it looks like I'll just pay $159K a week for the entire 1st season :laugh:

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Hey thanks! I ended up starting the 98 pack as the Blue Jackets, so I had to basically build my team from scratch with free agents and waivers claims. I'm currently struggling to hit the salary floor so it looks like I'll just pay $159K a week for the entire 1st season :laugh:

After the challenge, I think I'll be doing this with the Jets too!

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
The salary cap and team budgets suck in the 98 mod though.

The cap is just 44M and the Leafs have an internal budget of like, 38M. It's weird.

Not to mention since the cap doesn't go up, it's insanely hard to build a good-team for the long-term

archibalduk

EHM The Blue Line
Oct 29, 2005
England
The salary cap and team budgets suck in the 98 mod though.

The cap is just 44M and the Leafs have an internal budget of like, 38M. It's weird.

Not to mention since the cap doesn't go up, it's insanely hard to build a good-team for the long-term

The cap and floor are the result of a typo (they should both be disabled). I'll try to fix the Steam Workshop version over the next day or so.

You can also do it yourself by editing the transfer_rules_config.cfg file located within your 1998 DB folder (the folder is not easy to locate if you're using the Workshop version IIRC). Open the cfg file in Notepad and replace "CAP" with "SALARY_CAP" and "FLOOR" with "SALARY_FLOOR". And then start a new game.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
It's been a while since I had a decent save.
Started with Halifax in the QMJHL. Young club, expected finish was middle of the pack. I even unloaded some older players, including Timo Meier, because I never thought we would be able to compete in season 1. :laugh:
But then we got off to a flying start and the goals came way easier then I expected. Defense and goaltending was a little suspect though..
But young wingers Maxime Fortier (82 pts) and Arnaud Durendeau (76 pts) led us to a 2nd place finish.

Playoffs are not regular season though :(
We just barely got by the 15 seed.

Ovw9q1V.png

But then ran into all kinds of fitness problems, and a Val d'Or team that had owned us during the regular season

yl11bKC.png

Still a really good season, and with plenty of high draft picks and returning players another deep run next year should be expected.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Been playing with the 1998 database trying to win a cup before the current Habs (not very hard I admit :laugh: ). I'm now in 2003 and the Habs won 2 of the last 3 cups. It was rough (especially since Recchi left the first summer) until I was able to sign Leclair and Mogilny.

John Leclair - Saku Koivu - Alexander Mogilny
Henrik Zetterberg - Vincent Damphousse - Jonas Hoglund
Pascal Dupuis - Ian Lapperriere - Alexander Selivanov
Brian Savage - Sergei Zholthok - Turner Stevenson
Johan Franzen - Ryan Malone

Vladimir Malakhov - Patrice Brisebois
Andrei Markov - Brian Rafalski
Brett Clark - Stéphane Robidas
Francis Bouillon

José Theodore
Tom Barrasso (retiring after season)
Ryan Miller

Prospects include:
Michael Ryder
Scott Hartnell
Jason Pominville
Mike Ribeiro
François Beauchemin
Johny Boychuk
Ilya Bryzgalov
Jaroslav Halak
James Wisniewski
Chris Higgins
Tomas Fleischmann
Tanner Glass :naughty:

The trio of the year was Tanguay - Forsberg - Bure who had 107 -126 - 109 pts.
Pavel Bure was the top goalscorer at 65. Tanguay and Mogilny tied 2nd at 52.

AK44

Apr 22, 2016
Anyone seeing issues with teams drastically cutting salary and falling below the cap floor? I have several teams who are cutting established NHL stars by throwing them on waivers, and of course they won't make trades because they're below the floor... Even top young players who should be NHL stars are being stashed in the minors even after meaningful NHL experience. Happened about 2028 in a full database save with the Penguins. Killing the drive to keep playing!

If necessary, can upload my save.

I have noticed this in my current game, also about 11-12 years in.

About half the teams in the league are sitting at least 10mil below the salary floor. Meanwhile the 4-5 teams that are spending to the cap are finishing with 120-125 points a season.

The first two rounds of the playoffs have pretty much been 80% sweeps by the dominant teams. My team went 12-0 in the first three rounds of the playoffs (final was a 4-3 series win).

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
I have noticed this in my current game, also about 11-12 years in.

About half the teams in the league are sitting at least 10mil below the salary floor. Meanwhile the 4-5 teams that are spending to the cap are finishing with 120-125 points a season.

The first two rounds of the playoffs have pretty much been 80% sweeps by the dominant teams. My team went 12-0 in the first three rounds of the playoffs (final was a 4-3 series win).

Some things I notice a lot...

- Arizona seems to have a habit of sending Duclair to the AHL even in saves where he's their 1st line RW on the depth chart and scoring at a solid clip at the NHL.

- I've seen Eberle get waived in the first season on more the one save.

- Boston flat-out releasing top prospects like Zboril and Debrusk before the start of the season. And still, lots and lots of issues with teams not qualifying top young RFA's and just letting them become UFA's.

Sometimes I will jump in and take control of teams temporarily just to prevent them from doing stupid things...:laugh:

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
Anyone know why my AHL team isnt playing games. Necer had this problem before. Any help would be great to know why they aren't playing games down there

H3ckt1k

Jan 9, 2015
Anybody noticing ahl games getting cancelled because ahl teams only have like 10 players?

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
Ok I'm trying to play the 98 pack as the Blue Jackets which means I have to build my entire team through the draft and free agency. One problem. My board of directors won't allow me to spend more than 1.3 million dollars on any free agents! This is sooooooo annoying in EHM, when your directors just ruin your chances with free agency. If I have the cap space to sign a guy I should be able to sign him. Especially in this 1998 mod where the salary cap doesn't even exist!

Does anyone know any ways around the stupid board of directors cap or am I just totally screwed? I won't be able to sign the likes of Pavel Bure, Martin Straka, or Brian Leetch by offering them 1.3 million a year at max. 18 year old Henrik Sedin isn't going to be able to carry this team by himself.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Ok I'm trying to play the 98 pack as the Blue Jackets which means I have to build my entire team through the draft and free agency. One problem. My board of directors won't allow me to spend more than 1.3 million dollars on any free agents! This is sooooooo annoying in EHM, when your directors just ruin your chances with free agency. If I have the cap space to sign a guy I should be able to sign him. Especially in this 1998 mod where the salary cap doesn't even exist!

Does anyone know any ways around the stupid board of directors cap or am I just totally screwed? I won't be able to sign the likes of Pavel Bure, Martin Straka, or Brian Leetch by offering them 1.3 million a year at max. 18 year old Henrik Sedin isn't going to be able to carry this team by himself.

How close are you to the player budget?

Saitama

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg

Using that same editor that I linked above, you can change the player budgets and a few other things for the team. I'm not sure what exactly effects the boards stingyness, but I changed the Club Cash, Player Budget, Average, Max and Min Attendance. After doing this, I had no problems at all, the board would let me throw almost 9 million at free agents if I wanted to.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Apparently I'm 2 million over the budget. My budget is 26 million, or 5 good free agents LOL. I'll have to use the EHM Assistant to sort this out.

Not surprised. It's not like Colombus had a lot of money at the start. It will go up eventually, especially if you start winning a bit.

In that database you can have the very good players at 2-3 millions, so start bargain binning ;)

It actually sounds interesting, I think I'll try one of the expansion teams.

EDIT: I'll take the Jets as they are the worst team by far in my new game. In 2003-2004, they finished .

Nas 95pts 43-30-9 Best season 95 pts
Min 88 pts 39-33-10 Best season 88 pts
CBJ 61 pts 25-46-11 Best season 66 points
Jets 46 pts 19-55- 8 Best season 55 points

EDIT 2: Looks like the disease was too much for Lemieux in that game, he retired at game start. My budget is 19.39M. I'm at 11.25M for a 20-man roster. Will look for waiver claim as the pickings are very slim in FA after I signed everyone I could. Rafalski, Vishnovsky, Thomas and Vyborny coming next year.

EDIT 3: NYI pulled a weird move sending Tommy Salo to the Wild for 2 4th... Leaving them with a Coery Hirsch/Wade Flaherty duo.

Last edited:

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Is there a reason McDavid sucks? I pulled some sneaky move to grab first overall his draft year and he's 9th in team scoring two season later.

Nino33

Jul 5, 2015
Greetings!

You may have heard me say before that EHM1 is a lot different than EHM07 "under the hood"
Recently I received permission from Riz to publicly share one of the significant differences!

Most if not all of us are aware that there are now "Player Roles" in EHM1
This is new - each Player Role has certain Attributes that are Key, Essential, Non-Essential, Irrelevant and Regular

There's a thread with charts showing the above http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16777&p=213864#p213864

There's also three threads showing testing data (at 6 different CA levels) for a number of Player Roles and their Attributes
Forwards http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16776
Defensemen http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16775
Goaltenders http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16774

You may also find interesting/informative a researching guide I put together http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16778

And finally, here's a thread with me promoting the value of a user created "underdatabase" (rather than letting the game create the added extra players/staff needed to fully fill out the EHM world) http://www.ehmtheblueline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=110&t=16779

hockey17jp

Lets Go Jackets!
Apr 11, 2012
Columbus
Looks like the disease was too much for Lemieux in that game, he retired at game start. My budget is 19.39M. I'm at 11.25M for a 20-man roster. Will look for waiver claim as the pickings are very slim in FA after I signed everyone I could. Rafalski, Vishnovsky, Thomas and Vyborny coming next year.

NYI pulled a weird move sending Tommy Salo to the Wild for 2 4th... Leaving them with a Coery Hirsch/Wade Flaherty duo.

Wow our games are almost identical. :laugh:

Super Mario retired midway through my first season so I grabbed him as an assistant coach. I signed Rafalski, Visnovsky, and Vyborny, and I traded for Tommy Salo with scraps. Crazy.

I managed to trade for very good players during the season despite having only 1 player with at least 3 star value. I got Tom Poti and Bryan Berard in different trades just by throwing the bad free agents I had signed into the mix.

Then I traded 2 2nd round picks and one of my prospects for Pavel Bure, who's value drops a ton as a result of his leave of absence. Not very realistic, but Bure is one of my favorite players so I had to pull the trigger on that one. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad